DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   "Smoothing" ceiling.... (removing artex & plastering) (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/94400-%22smoothing%22-ceiling-removing-artex-plastering.html)

[email protected] March 9th 05 10:42 AM

"Smoothing" ceiling.... (removing artex & plastering)

Well we all know rough artex is out of fashion!

I'm about to gut our en-suite shower room and hence I will be (have
been) on here doing far too much research instead of working. Small
room - only seen by me & the missus. So a good room to practice on!
;)

The FAQ suggests steaming off the existing artex - so I will do this
over the weekend. Then cut holes for recessed halogen lights. If it
is still rough I'll sand it fairly smooth.

But before painting I assume it'll need a thin skim of plaster. Is it
plaster or is there something else to use? And does this just bond to
the plasterboard or does it need some form of preparation/adhesive?

Cheers!

chris French March 10th 05 08:14 AM

In message .com,
writes
The FAQ suggests steaming off the existing artex - so I will do this
over the weekend. Then cut holes for recessed halogen lights. If it
is still rough I'll sand it fairly smooth.

Personally I never could face doing that in our house.

But before painting I assume it'll need a thin skim of plaster.

If it does then the steaming sanding would have been a waste of
time..... You can just skim Artex, though remove the largest nobbles
Is it
plaster or is there something else to use?

Well yes, finish plaster is the thing to use, but if the room is small
as sounds, then Polycell do some sort of ready mixed plaster skim stuff
that might make more sense for small job. Getting a good finish on
ceiling, even small one can be frustrating though.....

And does this just bond to
the plasterboard or does it need some form of preparation/adhesive?

In this situation I'd probably coat first with diluted PVA to help the
bonding.

But if I was doing it, I'd forget removing the artex etc. anyway. I
think I'd just whack up another sheet of plasterboard over the top and
decorate directly onto that. There is no need to skim (unless my tame
plasterer could fit it in easily I'd not bother in this case) unless you
want to. Use taper edged board and tape and fill the joint(s)
--
Chris French, Leeds

[email protected] March 11th 05 09:55 AM

Due to your comments, my dad saying "Eek! Don't do it" and a mate
saying "oh ohhhh" - I am going to live with what I have! A lick of
paint and leave as is.

TBH - work vs. reward isn't really going to pay back here. Rest of
house is the same artex - so it still looks like it fits.

The time is best spent doing the rest of the job properly.

Thanks!