John

Default Drive drainage

I am considering getting my drive block paved (not DIY) and I want to make
sure that I specify correctly.
Currently my drive is tarmac and is prone to having a few puddles as there
is no (or little) fall to the drive. If I get it block paved I could try and
get the contractor to introduce some fall to one side and fit a linear
drain. However, this bumps up the cost. A couple of contractors have said
that block paving is sufficiently self draining.

Any experiences?

Any views on the best make of block?
--

Regards

John

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

rrh

Oh dear - raw nerve touched here (I paid nearly five grand for a new
block-paved drive and front garden path last October and still have some
drainage 'issues' to resolve).

On the basis of my experience: if left unsealed it seems that block paving
does indeed allow very good drainage from the gaps between the blocks. None
of the reputable companies I had to quote included sealing in their quotes.
But you need it to stop oil etc from staining the blocks - and I think to
stop weeds growing up in the gaps. I wasn't able to apply sealant to my
drive until April, six months after it was laid. But it immediately showed
up several problems of insufficient drainage. The installers fixed most but
not all - we're now in dispute.

So...yes I think you need a proper fall and drain arrangements, and to bear
in mind that even when you have these you will need to seal or have sealed
the drive before you can judge how adequate the installation is. The fall my
drive installers looked excellent, even over the top, but wasn't the end of
the story, as I've explained.

rrh

"John" wrote in message
So how important is sealing?

It's important to stop weeds growing up in the cracks between the paving
blocks and - more important for me - to improve greatly the resistance of
the surface to staining and discolouration. Having said that, I understand
that there are people who prefer the weathered look of unsealed blocks over
time, and don't mind the maintenance.

nightjar

"rrh" wrote in message
"John" wrote in message
So how important is sealing?

It's important to stop weeds growing up in the cracks between the paving
blocks and - more important for me - to improve greatly the resistance of
the surface to staining and discolouration. Having said that, I understand
that there are people who prefer the weathered look of unsealed blocks

over
time, and don't mind the maintenance.

You can stop weeds by having a weed-proof membrane laid first, as you should
with gravel paths. My personal experience is that the sub-base is very
important. A drive I had laid in blockwork some years ago now gets puddles
where the vehicle wheels usually stand, even with a measurable fall on the
drive as a whole.

Colin Bignell

MBQ

"John" wrote in message news:ZA2zc.548$1W6.541@newsfe2-win...
I am considering getting my drive block paved (not DIY) and I want to make
sure that I specify correctly.
Currently my drive is tarmac and is prone to having a few puddles as there
is no (or little) fall to the drive. If I get it block paved I could try and
get the contractor to introduce some fall to one side and fit a linear
drain. However, this bumps up the cost. A couple of contractors have said
that block paving is sufficiently self draining.

Any experiences?

Any views on the best make of block?
--

From experience, it is not neccessarily self draining and that
statement requires qualification. At the very least it would depend

MBQ

Drive and Garage Base manoman UK diy 3 January 21st 04 07:26 PM
low voltage PIR controlled lights for drive - where? keith UK diy 11 December 24th 03 08:49 PM
Good books for drainage, sewage disposal etc John UK diy 1 August 28th 03 06:34 PM