DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lifting Vinyl Flooring (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/9383-lifting-vinyl-flooring.html)

[email protected] June 13th 04 06:25 PM

Lifting Vinyl Flooring

We are trying to lift vinyl flooring that has been glued very firmly
in place.

We have bought a special tool (like a paper scraper but bigger) but it
still doesn't come up very easily.

Can anyone suggest the best way to remove it.

Thanks

rrh June 13th 04 07:03 PM

Lifting Vinyl Flooring

wrote in message
We are trying to lift vinyl flooring that has been glued very firmly
in place. We have bought a special tool (like a paper scraper but bigger)

but it
still doesn't come up very easily. Can anyone suggest the best way to

remove it.

Did this recently using my SDS drill in chisel mode and a 75mm tile-removing
chisel. Worked brilliantly but watch out for your eardrums - and the cost of
the chisel (£30 from Screwfix and others say they break easily if you don't
think about where the forces are applied and follow the instructions
carefully). May not compute if you don't already have a rotation-stoppable
SDS drill but otherwise I fear you are doomed to an awful lot of manual
labour with your paper-scraper-but-bigger.

Dave Liquorice June 13th 04 08:04 PM

Lifting Vinyl Flooring

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:25:00 +0100, wrote:

We are trying to lift vinyl flooring that has been glued very firmly
in place.

Are these individual self adhesive tiles or sheet? See other posts of
today, have you tried throughly warming the vinyl and goo?

--
Cheers

Dave. pam is missing e-mail

[email protected] June 13th 04 08:33 PM

Lifting Vinyl Flooring

It's a solid sheet about 20 x 12 and extremely securely fitted. I am
going to try a heat gun.

BigWallop June 13th 04 08:39 PM

Lifting Vinyl Flooring

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:25:00 +0100, wrote:

We are trying to lift vinyl flooring that has been glued very firmly
in place.

Are these individual self adhesive tiles or sheet? See other posts of
today, have you tried throughly warming the vinyl and goo?

Cheers
Dave.

I'm with you on this one Dave. Try heating the vinyl and the glue that's
holding it down until it releases its grip. While your still heating the
remaining glue, use your scraper to get it off the floor.

Dave Liquorice June 13th 04 09:27 PM

Lifting Vinyl Flooring

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:33:32 +0100, wrote:

It's a solid sheet about 20 x 12 and extremely securely fitted. I am
going to try a heat gun.

Heat gun as in electric paint striper? Go easy it'll be easy to start
generating (noxious?) fumes.

--
Cheers

Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Jayne June 13th 04 09:33 PM

Lifting Vinyl Flooring

wrote in message
It's a solid sheet about 20 x 12 and extremely securely fitted. I am
going to try a heat gun.

Please be careful - a friend of mine has a son who did this to life vinyl
tiles, and he ended up in hospital on a ventilator for a week and is still
suffering from kidney damage from the fumes off the glue.

Jayne

Pete C June 18th 04 11:11 AM

Lifting Vinyl Flooring

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:33:32 +0100, wrote:

It's a solid sheet about 20 x 12 and extremely securely fitted. I am
going to try a heat gun.

Hi,

Scoring it into strips with a knife or even a circular saw might help,
allowing each strip to be scraped or chiselled off at a time.

Another approach could be to freeze it with liquid CO2, dry ice or
possibly crushed ice and salt, and chip it off with a chisel in an SDS
drill.

cheers,
Pete.