Trevor Smith

Default Section 607 of BS7671

A friend has asked me to put in a new ring main in his new office and this
has to be certified to be connected to the meter buy the power supplier. I
have been told that as there are to be computers on this circuit it must
comply to section 607 of BS7671. I have looked this up and it appears to
apply to earthing requirements for the installation of equipment having high
protective conductive currents. The computers that will be used are all
notebook types so the only connection to the mains will be the chargers, so
the question is will the circuit still have to meet 607?.

Trevor Smith

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Trevor Smith" writes:
A friend has asked me to put in a new ring main in his new office and this
has to be certified to be connected to the meter buy the power supplier. I
have been told that as there are to be computers on this circuit it must
comply to section 607 of BS7671. I have looked this up and it appears to
apply to earthing requirements for the installation of equipment having high
protective conductive currents. The computers that will be used are all
notebook types so the only connection to the mains will be the chargers, so
the question is will the circuit still have to meet 607?.

If they are all Class II (double insulated with no earth connection),
then no. However, how are you guaranteeing that's all the ring will
ever be used for? It's negligable extra effort to comply, so you
might as well do it anyway.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Christian McArdle

It's negligable extra effort to comply, so you might as well do it anyway.

Indeed. It can be actually easier to comply than not, because you don't need
to get so many connections into one hole, but can spread them over the 2
holes. You just need to take care consumer unit end to ensure separate earth
connections are used.

Christian.