TheScullster

Default Stud Wall and BCO

Hi all

This question arose as a result of an earlier post, but is sufficiently
disconnected to warrant a new thread.

A poster mentioned building control for stud walls in general and I wondered
whether their involvement would be necessary in my proposed mod.

The idea is to wall off one (narrow) end of a 3m wide room to create a store
room.
Would this require building regs/BCO visit/approval.

TIA

Phil

Alex W

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

This question arose as a result of an earlier post, but is sufficiently
disconnected to warrant a new thread.

A poster mentioned building control for stud walls in general and I wondered
whether their involvement would be necessary in my proposed mod.

The idea is to wall off one (narrow) end of a 3m wide room to create a store
room.
Would this require building regs/BCO visit/approval.

TIA

Phil

I'm not really an expert but I think it would depend on a few things ...
however if you phone up building control and explain what you are doing
then I am sure they will give a definitive anwser (and you'll have a
record of the conversation right?).

Alex.
Tim S

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:20:06 +0000, Alex W wrote:

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

This question arose as a result of an earlier post, but is sufficiently
disconnected to warrant a new thread.

A poster mentioned building control for stud walls in general and I wondered
whether their involvement would be necessary in my proposed mod.

The idea is to wall off one (narrow) end of a 3m wide room to create a store
room.
Would this require building regs/BCO visit/approval.

TIA

Phil

I'm not really an expert but I think it would depend on a few things ...
however if you phone up building control and explain what you are doing
then I am sure they will give a definitive anwser (and you'll have a
record of the conversation right?).

Alex.

Oddly enough, I asked a similar question to Dad's council's senior BCO
this (got lucky and bumped into him whilst at the office to discuss a
planning issue).

I only asked, because of fire safety implications (wanted to subdivide a
dormer conversion, but would end up with a bedroom off a bedroom with no
*direct* access to stairs.

He answered the question with a "that's perfectly fine as long as the room
has building regs compliant windows WRT firemans access/occupants escape".
Simple.

Didn't say I needed a building notice. Which I never imagined I would -
but I was aware of fire safety implications, which is why I asked.

So I agree completely, give them a call.

It would *never* occur to me to get a building notice on non-structural
dry-wall work but all the same, it mustn't end up contravening the regs,
which are mostly about common sense anyway. Pay attention to any aspects
of this which would make things worse if, heaven forbid, you had a fire.
Also, consider if the wall could help spread a fire in some way.

Tim
The Natural Philosopher

TheScullster wrote:

[...]

Mmm.

The way it goes is this.

BC applies to 'material alterations'. That actually covres just about
anything you do to alter the structure, and/or fittings of a building.

In terms of whacking up stud walls, it IS a material alteration.

Now this may or may not involve the regulations though.

Things that do impact are

- subdivision of rooms: Ventilation, fire safety, potential disabled
access possibly,

- addition of electrical items like more sockets. Have to be at proper
heights blah blah.

- bogs baths and basins. Must meet ventialtion/drainage etc regs.

And of course any windows added must meet correct specs for thermal
conductivity and ability to jump out if e.g. habitable areas etc. etc.

Lobster

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Things that do impact are

- addition of electrical items like more sockets. Have to be at proper
heights blah blah.

Surely if this is an old house with existing wiring, the heights of wall
sockets won't be at issue? Ie, if the rest of the house has them
positioned sensibly at a few inches above the skirting board, there's no
compulsion to fit any new ones on the new stud partition at stupid
heights is there?

He asks hopefully...

David

The Natural Philosopher

Lobster wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Things that do impact are

- addition of electrical items like more sockets. Have to be at proper
heights blah blah.

Surely if this is an old house with existing wiring, the heights of wall
sockets won't be at issue? Ie, if the rest of the house has them
positioned sensibly at a few inches above the skirting board, there's no
compulsion to fit any new ones on the new stud partition at stupid
heights is there?

If you fit ANY new sockets in a house, they SHOULD be at regulation height.

The whole issue of buidling control is to ensure that every time someone
touches a house, fixtures or fittings, anything NEW is to current regs.

So if you REPIAR an old socket by replacing its frnt bit - fine.

If you add a NEW socket, it should be in the correct
cripple-electrocution band...

He asks hopefully...

David

Mike

"Lobster" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Things that do impact are

- addition of electrical items like more sockets. Have to be at proper
heights blah blah.

Surely if this is an old house with existing wiring, the heights of wall
sockets won't be at issue? Ie, if the rest of the house has them
positioned sensibly at a few inches above the skirting board, there's no
compulsion to fit any new ones on the new stud partition at stupid
heights is there?

He asks hopefully...

Don't worry. Part M only applies to NEW buildings. Not even extensions to
old buildings are currently covered though this may change in future.
Rumour is that once the "10% of all inprovements are insulation" and
"insulation survey on sale" are established that similar treatment for
disability features will follow.

Tim S

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:41:07 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Lobster wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Things that do impact are

- addition of electrical items like more sockets. Have to be at proper
heights blah blah.

Surely if this is an old house with existing wiring, the heights of wall
sockets won't be at issue? Ie, if the rest of the house has them
positioned sensibly at a few inches above the skirting board, there's no
compulsion to fit any new ones on the new stud partition at stupid
heights is there?

If you fit ANY new sockets in a house, they SHOULD be at regulation height.

The whole issue of buidling control is to ensure that every time someone
touches a house, fixtures or fittings, anything NEW is to current regs.

So if you REPIAR an old socket by replacing its frnt bit - fine.

If you add a NEW socket, it should be in the correct
cripple-electrocution band...

Hi

I honestly thought that this aspect (and many others) of Part M only
applied to new builds? Or perhaps to extensions. I've not noticed this
particular point as being required as part of minor mods to existing
dwellings, when I've been going through a guidebook to the BR. I don't
have the means to check right now, so I can't really give anything to back
this up and concede I could be wrong.

Cheers

Tim
Tim S

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:05:14 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Mmm.

The way it goes is this.

BC applies to 'material alterations'. That actually covres just about
anything you do to alter the structure, and/or fittings of a building.

In terms of whacking up stud walls, it IS a material alteration.

Now this may or may not involve the regulations though.

Things that do impact are

- subdivision of rooms: Ventilation, fire safety, potential disabled
access possibly,

- addition of electrical items like more sockets. Have to be at proper
heights blah blah.

- bogs baths and basins. Must meet ventialtion/drainage etc regs.

Hmm. Thanks for the info. I *thought* I had a rough idea of scope of BC
(Structural, Parts P,M,L and the bits I can't remember the letters for
things like fire, ventilation and drainage.)

Does that mean I need a BNA to install a shower as opposed to just
doing it correctly (yes, I am going to deal with ventilation and drainage
requirements, I don't wish to rot my own dwelling. Roofs are expensive to
fix!)

No, better not answer that, or I shall be required to retort in
general (and not aimed at your good self) with an incredulous remark along
the lines of: fascist-state/orifice/BNA/insert

;-

They can't even get people to comply with the obviously safety related
parts of BC like not digging bloody great big holes right next to your
neighbours house, how would they expect to check if my windowless-bathroom
fan was upto scratch...

ho diddy dum...

Best wishes

Tim