John

Default Plastic Guttering / Fasia / Sofit replacement

Not D-I-Y but anything I need to ensure when getting a quote for this?

--

Regards

John

Tony Williams

In article ,
John wrote:
Not D-I-Y but anything I need to ensure when
getting a quote for this?

The chaps who did ours lifted the tiles and replaced
the bottom 18" or so of roofing felt as well. Part
of the quoted job.

They also spotted a felting/timber problem further up
and 'accidentally' left the scaffolding there for an
extra 5 days for the roofer to use.

--
Tony Williams.
andrewpreece

"John" wrote in message
Not D-I-Y but anything I need to ensure when getting a quote for this?

--

Regards

John

The monkeys who did next-door's guttering and fascia weren't very good. My
fascias are wooden
so when they fitted a UPVC fascia over nextdoor's rotting old fascia (
another no-no ) the gutters were
not aligned very well - they busted two of my gutter clips off without
asking me to get his guttering to join with mine. Even then when they
connected the gutters together they were under strain so the joints ( haha -
gobs of silicone ) leaked. Also, my house is a semi, and they did not angle
their gutter down slightly away from my house, so the water that runs into
my neighbour's gutters now all runs into mine! There should be a fall of at
least 1:100 and better than that really (1:60 ish ? ) towards the downpipe.
Finally, they weren't able to get all their gutter clips aligned so they had
a dip in the guttering at one point where a pool of water formed, so all the
little birdies took baths in it. Beware! Get up there and look at their
handiwork and tell them to avoid the cock-ups I have warned you about!

Andy.

andrewpreece

"Mike" wrote in message

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
[...]

Where was next door's BCO in all this ? - definitely covered in the regs.

I have to say that noone around here gets officialdom involved in DIY except
under pain of death, and I understand that. Having said that I had no
conception
that a BCO was necessary to look at guttering. Whilst I can see a BCO would
have been a good chap to have around for this episode, I don't want one
telling me
I'm incapable of wiring a socket in a kitchen or of fixing a soil pipe into
the floor and
charging me wonga for it. Local government is full of people who want to
control our
lives that little bit more each time, they won't be happy until we need to
sign a chit
to get out of bed!
The problems are now entirely my neighbour's: I fixed dividers into
the guttering
where the boundary line of our houses occurred so no water from his gutter
can flow
into mine, I removed the bodged silicone sealant join and replaced with new
gutter
couplers, and I replaced the broken gutter clips with new ones stood off the
fascia a
little to easy the misalignment in depths of the two fascias. I used the
opportunity to
clean and paint my soffits and fascias, they were in dire need. Complaining
to my
neighbour would have raised the possibility of a dispute ( you never know
how people
will react ). I am awaiting a cloudburst now to see how my neighbour's
guttering copes!.

Andy.

John

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

I hope you submitted a risk assessment before climbing the ladder.

andrewpreece

(
[...]

In triplicate and three weeks in advance!

Andy.

John wrote:
Not D-I-Y but anything I need to ensure when getting a quote for

this?

--

Regards

John

Are they quoting for complete replacement or just cladding the existing
timber.

Are they fitting vented soffit boards or plain? Do you need the vented
type?

Will they take all the rubbish away?

The only problem we have is that the new gutter projects further and
the TV aerial mast (fixed to the side of the house) now rubs against it
whenever the wind blows. You can hear it throughout the house.

MBQ

Replacement plastic drawer slides needed Timothy Lee Woodworking 7 July 16th 04 04:54 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM
Plastic Pipes in central heating Zetor UK diy 6 August 2nd 03 12:18 PM