Stephen Jones

Default Condensation and radiator positioning

I have been having problems with condensation on outside walls (solid
walls victorian flat downstairs flat), particularly under windows.
None of these walls have radiators on them, these ar on internal
walls. I wondered if it would be sensible to move the radiators to
under the windows, I assume this would warm the walls and the room
better. The one place where the radiator is on a outside wall, the
bathroom, does not have a problem.
Any advice appreciated.

Steve
John Stumbles

Stephen Jones wrote:
I have been having problems with condensation on outside walls (solid
walls victorian flat downstairs flat), particularly under windows.
None of these walls have radiators on them, these ar on internal
walls. I wondered if it would be sensible to move the radiators to
under the windows, I assume this would warm the walls and the room
better. The one place where the radiator is on a outside wall, the
bathroom, does not have a problem.

Yes, rads should be on the outside walls under the windows to compensate
for the regions of greatest heat loss. This is particularly important in
buildings with poorly-insulated external walls and windows. They are
often installed on internal walls by cheapskate installers to save
money, time & effort running pipework to the outside walls.
basil

On 28 Feb 2005 01:28:18 -0800, (Stephen Jones)
wrote:

I have been having problems with condensation on outside walls (solid
walls victorian flat downstairs flat), particularly under windows.
None of these walls have radiators on them, these ar on internal
walls. I wondered if it would be sensible to move the radiators to
under the windows, I assume this would warm the walls and the room
better. The one place where the radiator is on a outside wall, the
bathroom, does not have a problem.
Any advice appreciated.

Steve

This would stop the condensation around the radiator but probabaly not
further away on the wall. Also I'm guessing you have double glazing so
putting the radiators under the windows to balance the heat around the
room is less relevant.

I'd say you should remove the damp at source with extractor fans in
the bathroom and kitchen, and get a de-humidifier, they are pretty
cheap these days.

If that doesnt fix it then maybe you have a rising damp type problem
on your ground floor flat. I wouldnt put insulation on the walls like
you were thinking of in the other thread.

Increasing ventalation with air bricks which you can fit to any
convinient place would be a good long term soulution if you do actualy
have condensation problems.

Open fires and gas fires venting to the chimney also reduce damp by
cycling the damo air out through the chimney.

The reason your room is not warming properly is most likely because
the heat is dissapearing through the uninsulated ceiling into the flat
above.

Basil
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Stephen Jones wrote:
I have been having problems with condensation on outside walls (solid
walls victorian flat downstairs flat), particularly under windows.
None of these walls have radiators on them, these ar on internal
walls. I wondered if it would be sensible to move the radiators to
under the windows, I assume this would warm the walls and the room
better. The one place where the radiator is on a outside wall, the
bathroom, does not have a problem.
Any advice appreciated.

Condensation in the public rooms of a Victorian house is most unusual -
unless you have removed the ventilation by blocking chimneys, adding
double glazing with no vents, and keep the temperature very low. So the
position of the rads is likely to make the very smallest of differences.

--
*When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.