Default What boiler

Which/ what size Combi boiler folks would recommend for a 5 bedroom
(loft converted) terrace house? And could it be fitted with perfectly
working and about 6 years old existing rads and pipes? Many thanks.

Doctor Evil

wrote in message
oups.com...
Which/ what size Combi boiler folks would recommend for a 5 bedroom
(loft converted) terrace house? And could it be fitted with perfectly
working and about 6 years old existing rads and pipes? Many thanks.

A high flowrate model. Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40 kW, Worcester Bosch
HighFlow, Alpha CD50, etc.

They can be used on existing systems as long as they are flushed out with
appropriate cleaner.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Christian McArdle

Which/ what size Combi boiler folks would recommend for a 5 bedroom
(loft converted) terrace house? And could it be fitted with perfectly
working and about 6 years old existing rads and pipes? Many thanks.

How many bathrooms? How many residents? What sort of residential area?
Prefence for baths/showers? Teenagers? Teenagers to be? Likely to sell soon?

Christian.

Simon Stroud

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Which/ what size Combi boiler folks would recommend for a 5 bedroom
(loft converted) terrace house? And could it be fitted with perfectly
working and about 6 years old existing rads and pipes? Many thanks.

A high flowrate model. Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40 kW, Worcester Bosch
HighFlow, Alpha CD50, etc.

They can be used on existing systems as long as they are flushed out with
appropriate cleaner.

.... and don't forget Eco Hometec (www.eco-hometec.co.uk). I have one of
their high flowrate condensing combis, as previously recommended by "Doctor
Evil" in one of his earlier incarnations!

Very pleased with it.

Regards,
Simon.

Doctor Evil

"Simon Stroud" wrote in message
"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Which/ what size Combi boiler folks would recommend for a 5 bedroom
(loft converted) terrace house? And could it be fitted with perfectly
working and about 6 years old existing rads and pipes? Many thanks.

A high flowrate model. Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40 kW, Worcester Bosch
HighFlow, Alpha CD50, etc.

They can be used on existing systems as long as they are flushed out

with
appropriate cleaner.

... and don't forget Eco Hometec (www.eco-hometec.co.uk). I have one of
their high flowrate condensing combis, as previously recommended by

"Doctor
Evil" in one of his earlier incarnations!

Very pleased with it.

Regards,
Simon.

Yep, a class act.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Simon Stroud wrote:

... and don't forget Eco Hometec (www.eco-hometec.co.uk). I have one of
their high flowrate condensing combis, as previously recommended by "Doctor
Evil" in one of his earlier incarnations!

Very pleased with it.

Mmmmm just been looking at them.
Seems like a really usefull bit of kit.
Just trying to work out the best thing to do with my upstairs/downstairs
UFH/Radiator split. I am guessing bigger radiators downstairs to
allow for lower flow temps.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Doctor Evil

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
.uk...
Simon Stroud wrote:

... and don't forget Eco Hometec (www.eco-hometec.co.uk). I have one of
their high flowrate condensing combis, as previously recommended by

"Doctor
Evil" in one of his earlier incarnations!

Very pleased with it.

Mmmmm just been looking at them.
Seems like a really usefull bit of kit.
Just trying to work out the best thing to do with my upstairs/downstairs
UFH/Radiator split. I am guessing bigger radiators downstairs to
allow for lower flow temps.

Go for rads at a design flow temp of 70C return of 50C, or even better 60C,
40C, as they do in parts of Scandinavia. Then you will get highly efficient
operation.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:41:26 -0800, eithera wrote:

Which/ what size Combi boiler folks would recommend for a 5 bedroom
(loft converted) terrace house? And could it be fitted with perfectly
working and about 6 years old existing rads and pipes? Many thanks.

Specifically to this post:
Combi boilers are sized for the HW output. Even a 24kW unit will likely be
adequate for you heating needs.

Professionally I would query your choice of a combi on the face value of
your post but it may be that there are some other (unstated) reasons for
that choice.

Even if the previous heating system has bad corrosion problems you will be
OK to reuse the pipes and rads after proper flushing and dosing with
corrosion inhibitor.

In general:

This question is truly coming up very frequently (more than once a week
I'd reckon). It comes in all flavours such as "is make X any good", "why
shouldn't I replace my existing boiler with a replica?", "is boiler X OK
for a n-bedroom house?".

I'm thinking of a FAQ here along the lines of...

Link to the existing FAQ on boiler and heating system types for an over
view.
General discussion of why boiler choice is so anxiety prone.
General discussion of modern versus tradition designs.
Spell it out: You-get-what-you-pay-for.
What you get if you buy on price.
What you get if you pay for the top of the range.
Good reasons why your fitter might recommend X.
Bad reasons why your fitter might recommend X.
Spot the pricing structure and make it work for you.
How to check your boiler can be fitted - before buying it.
Stock faults and some manufacturers.

The aim is not to recommend a particular model, or to slag-off/worship
particular manufacturers but to layout tools to assist in the
decision.

I don't think "I believe that solution X can be made to fit every
circumstance." would be useful.

Any takers for a cooperative effort here?

John Stumbles

Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

In principle yes, just depends on the Round Tuit supply (which isn't too
good around here :-()

Tony Bryer

In article .uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
The aim is not to recommend a particular model, or to
slag-off/worship particular manufacturers but to layout tools to
assist in the decision.

At first glance there does seem to be a ludicrously large number of
boilers fighting for the same market: a quick check suggests that
there are currently 140+ condensing gas combis on the market - some
of course will be minor variants of the same model. But there are
things that do make particular ones better in certain locations: our
church Keston Celsisus boilers were chosen because of the fluing and
the remote run/warning light wiring makes it easy to see what is
happening. For my own home, not large, heating split into living and
bedroom zones, I specifically chose a Glow-worm combi because it
will modulate right down to 4.9kW - which would not be very relevant
on a place with a much larger heating load. No doubt there are other
boilers that have particular USP's.

I'd certainly be interesting in cooperating on this - your list of
headings is excellent.

GymRatZ

Doctor Evil wrote:

Go for rads at a design flow temp of 70C return of 50C, or even better 60C,
40C, as they do in parts of Scandinavia. Then you will get highly efficient
operation.

Where or how would one find/workout the design flow temp as per 60C 40C ?

I thought a radiator was.... well, just a radiator.

TIA

Pete
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymRatZ
Doctor Evil wrote:

Go for rads at a design flow temp of 70C return of 50C, or even better 60C,
40C, as they do in parts of Scandinavia. Then you will get highly efficient
operation.

Where or how would one find/workout the design flow temp as per 60C 40C ?

I thought a radiator was.... well, just a radiator.

Pete
90% plus of systems are designed to have radiators run with an 80C flow and 70C return. You can design the system to have 60-40C. Obviously the rads will be larger. But the lower temperature operation ensures high efficiency from a condensing boiler. Condensing boilers are more efficient the lower the return temperature. They can operate at a 20C flow/return temperaure differential, as opposed to 10C on a non-condensing boiler.

The manufacturers have tables to work out the rad size on 70-50, 60-40.
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Doctor Evil wrote:

90% plus of systems are designed to have radiators run with an 80C flow
and 70C return. You can design the system to have 60-40C. Obviously the
rads will be larger. But the lower temperature operation ensures high
efficiency from a condensing boiler. Condensing boilers are more
efficient the lower the return temperature. They can operate at a 20C
flow/return temperaure differential, as opposed to 10C on a
non-condensing boiler.

The manufacturers have tables to work out the rad size on 70-50, 60-40.

Thanks Doctor Evil.
I'll check it out.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Boiler TP valve problems? Linc Vannah Home Repair 9 May 8th 04 02:20 AM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 08:29 PM