Steve

Default Extractor Fan Backdraught Prevention

I have 3 extractor fans in my house - 2 have no backdraught prevention
and therefore let a lot of cold air in, especially when the wind is in
the wrong direction. One had air operated shutters in the duct but they
flapped about noisily in windy weather, so I changed them for an outer
grille with air operated flaps. That makes a racket too.

Does anybody know of a domestic 4" or 6" extractor fan for wall fitting
that has effective, silent backdraught prevention?

TIA

Steve
Lobster

Rob Morley wrote:

This one seems to have a solenoid-operated shutter:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGGXC6.html

Won't the shutter be operated mechanically, by the pullcord?
Rob Morley

In article , "Lobster"
says...
Rob Morley wrote:

This one seems to have a solenoid-operated shutter:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGGXC6.html

Won't the shutter be operated mechanically, by the pullcord?

I hadn't considered that - I've only ever encountered fans with
solenoid or airflow operated shutters. I assumed from the
description that this would be the former, and qualified it with
"seems to have".

Andy Wade

David Hearn wrote:

Looks nice - any 4" models with electrical operated shutters?

Vent-Axia? I have a Vent-Axia VA100 bathroom fan which has a shutter
operated by a 'thermal motor' (expanding capsule heated by a ceramic PTC
disc). It's very quiet in operation and the shutter opens and closes
slowly, not with the clunk you get from a solenoid. This was installed
~12 years ago though, so might not still be available. And the thermal
motor failed a couple of years ago and had to be replaced - no great
trauma there though, I got a spare directly from V-A without difficulty
and with change from ten quid.

--
Andy

Rust prevention in the workshop Dave Woodworking 6 December 14th 04 11:35 PM
mold prevention Rick Home Ownership 0 August 31st 04 10:37 PM
Why don't builders to this (basement seep prevention)? AJScott Home Repair 13 February 27th 04 02:31 AM
Sewer backup prevention measures Art Todesco Home Repair 0 July 31st 03 05:00 AM