Richard

Default leaking system

I am completely confused and need advice. I have a sealed system that
must be leaking as about once a week th epressure goes to zero and the
boiler thus cuts out. Now I thought I had found the leak as there was
a fairly steady seapage from the join at the expansion vessel, but
having fixed that the frequency of cut out has not changed! It is also
(to me) a strange leak. The pressure does not seem to go down during
the week but stays steady at about 1.5 when cold and 2 when hot. Its
just once a week, overnight whilst the boiler is off, the pressure
drops to zero, almost indicating a sudden, intermittent, but regular
leak!!!

What can it be? A leak that does not affect the pressure except all at
once, on about once a week?

Richard
Lurch

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:57:49 +0000, Richard
strung together this:

What can it be?

What's the boiler?
--

SJW
Ed Sirett

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:57:49 +0000, Richard wrote:

I am completely confused and need advice. I have a sealed system that
must be leaking as about once a week th epressure goes to zero and the
boiler thus cuts out. Now I thought I had found the leak as there was
a fairly steady seapage from the join at the expansion vessel, but
having fixed that the frequency of cut out has not changed! It is also
(to me) a strange leak. The pressure does not seem to go down during
the week but stays steady at about 1.5 when cold and 2 when hot. Its
just once a week, overnight whilst the boiler is off, the pressure
drops to zero, almost indicating a sudden, intermittent, but regular
leak!!!

What can it be? A leak that does not affect the pressure except all at
once, on about once a week?

Try the FAQ on Sealed systems.

Old Bill

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:57:49 +0000, Richard wrote:

I am completely confused and need advice. I have a sealed system that
must be leaking as about once a week th epressure goes to zero and the
boiler thus cuts out. Now I thought I had found the leak as there was
a fairly steady seapage from the join at the expansion vessel, but
having fixed that the frequency of cut out has not changed! It is also
(to me) a strange leak. The pressure does not seem to go down during
the week but stays steady at about 1.5 when cold and 2 when hot. Its
just once a week, overnight whilst the boiler is off, the pressure
drops to zero, almost indicating a sudden, intermittent, but regular
leak!!!

What can it be? A leak that does not affect the pressure except all at
once, on about once a week?

Try the FAQ on Sealed systems.

Just a suggestion but I had a system that did something similar. By a
fluke I found that one of the pipes coming out of floor into rad valve
was tightened properly on the olive (I could pull it out of valve!).
Presumably when hot the expansion was enough to seal the leak.

andrewpreece

"Richard" wrote in message
I am completely confused and need advice. I have a sealed system that
must be leaking as about once a week th epressure goes to zero and the
boiler thus cuts out. Now I thought I had found the leak as there was
a fairly steady seapage from the join at the expansion vessel, but
having fixed that the frequency of cut out has not changed! It is also
(to me) a strange leak. The pressure does not seem to go down during
the week but stays steady at about 1.5 when cold and 2 when hot. Its
just once a week, overnight whilst the boiler is off, the pressure
drops to zero, almost indicating a sudden, intermittent, but regular
leak!!!

What can it be? A leak that does not affect the pressure except all at
once, on about once a week?

Richard

Is your overpressure valve dumping all your system pressure? Don't know why
it would do it once a week though. Check where your overpressure pipe exits
your house and check to see if it has dumped water ( you may need to be
creative about this ). The cause may be your air reservoir, there are plenty
of old messages relating to this if you Google for 'uk.d-i-y' and search for
newsgroups only

Andy.