Default Pushfit and other plastic fittings

OK. So I know its not proper plumbing but it certainly seems easier for
the novice plumber.

However, any opinions on their usefullness etc ?

Doctor Evil

wrote in message
ups.com...
OK. So I know its not proper plumbing but it certainly seems easier for
the novice plumber.

However, any opinions on their usefullness etc ?

If you can't do soldered joints then use copper pipe with "good quality"
compression fittings. Plastic is good for threading through awkward places.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Mike

wrote in message
ups.com...
OK. So I know its not proper plumbing but it certainly seems easier for
the novice plumber.

However, any opinions on their usefullness etc ?

They are very good. One gets the occasional fail during installation, as
one does with copper, but these failures are more spectacular (and wet) as
the whole joint goes rather than just seeping.

But long term I believe they are better. The copper piping in the house we
are renovating was seeping or about to go in various places as the copper
had simply dissolved away due to pH and nitrate levels. Plastic solves this
problem.

But above all the flexibility of the plastic pipe is so good that even if
you don't trust the push-fit connectors I'd still say use the pipe but with
brass compression fittings.

Old Bill

Mike wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

OK. So I know its not proper plumbing but it certainly seems easier for
the novice plumber.

However, any opinions on their usefullness etc ?

They are very good. One gets the occasional fail during installation, as
one does with copper, but these failures are more spectacular (and wet) as
the whole joint goes rather than just seeping.

But long term I believe they are better. The copper piping in the house we
are renovating was seeping or about to go in various places as the copper
had simply dissolved away due to pH and nitrate levels. Plastic solves this
problem.

But above all the flexibility of the plastic pipe is so good that even if
you don't trust the push-fit connectors I'd still say use the pipe but with
brass compression fittings.

I'd second that. the only thing I avoid a hidden pushfit join if I can
but look at most new builds they seem to be all Hep2o these days.
Capitol

Well, two out of two central professionally installed heating systems,
using plastic,( I don't think IMM was involved!) that I was hearing
about on Saturday which were simply resiting of two existing radiators
(one in each house) failed within 18 months, one totally, the other
weeping at a connector! Anglian picked up the tab, to their credit. The
choice is yours!!

Regards
Capitol

Yeh. Probably more of a fire risk if I had to do it as well !!!

One thing I have noticed are that the plastic corners, t-pieces etc are
'chunkier' than the corresponding soldered copper joint to it gets a
bit awkward in tight spaces (like under the kitchen sink).