DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Boiler problem (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/9199-boiler-problem.html)

stuart noble June 6th 04 02:08 PM

Boiler problem

We have a leBlanc combi boiler which has suddenly started delivering warm
rather than hot water. The water temperature control knob still increases
the flame height on the main burner but the maximum level seems lower than
previously. Looks like the same applies when the heating is on.
Any suggestions welcome. It has operated more or less faultlessly for 18
years so I am reluctant to replace it if it isn't necessary.

Alex Threlfall June 6th 04 05:45 PM

Boiler problem

In article ,
says...
We have a leBlanc combi boiler which has suddenly started delivering warm
rather than hot water. The water temperature control knob still increases
the flame height on the main burner but the maximum level seems lower than
previously. Looks like the same applies when the heating is on.
Any suggestions welcome. It has operated more or less faultlessly for 18
years so I am reluctant to replace it if it isn't necessary.

throw the ****er out! they're horrid boilers! and whatever it is, it'll
be expensive to replace, and probably obselete after 18 years ;)
--
Alex Threlfall
Cyberprog New Media

stuart noble June 6th 04 09:09 PM

Boiler problem

Alex Threlfall wrote in message ...
throw the ****er out! they're horrid boilers! and whatever it is, it'll
be expensive to replace, and probably obselete after 18 years ;)

Hey thanks Alex. Just the sort of helpful advice I was loolking for.
Anyway, what's horrid about them? They heat water. What the hell else are
they supposed to do?

Pete C June 6th 04 09:24 PM

Boiler problem

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 14:08:32 +0100, "stuart noble"
wrote:

We have a leBlanc combi boiler which has suddenly started delivering warm
rather than hot water. The water temperature control knob still increases
the flame height on the main burner but the maximum level seems lower than
previously. Looks like the same applies when the heating is on.
Any suggestions welcome. It has operated more or less faultlessly for 18
years so I am reluctant to replace it if it isn't necessary.

Hi,

Sounds like the gas valve on the burner is sticking.

cheers,
Pete.

Hugh June 7th 04 12:05 AM

Boiler problem

always worth trying heat sensors first - only cost £6 - 10 each - simple to
fit, and because they get furred up/and/or fail, can cause havoc.
I'm talking Worcester boilers here - but maybe just as simple on other
brands - a call to tech. helpline is often worthwhile.
Hugh
---------

John June 7th 04 07:22 AM

Boiler problem

"stuart noble" wrote in message

Alex Threlfall wrote in message ...
throw the ****er out! they're horrid boilers! and whatever it is, it'll
be expensive to replace, and probably obselete after 18 years ;)

Hey thanks Alex. Just the sort of helpful advice I was loolking for.
Anyway, what's horrid about them? They heat water. What the hell else are
they supposed to do?

Whilst sharing the opinion of the model I'd suggest you may have a problem
with a diverter valve. Is the heating pipework warming up when you ask it
for hot water? This assumes that your gas variation is actually adequate but
this would need a manometer to check

stuart noble June 7th 04 11:45 AM

Boiler problem

John wrote in message ...

"stuart noble" wrote in message

Alex Threlfall wrote in message ...
throw the ****er out! they're horrid boilers! and whatever it is, it'll
be expensive to replace, and probably obselete after 18 years ;)

Hey thanks Alex. Just the sort of helpful advice I was loolking for.
Anyway, what's horrid about them? They heat water. What the hell else are
they supposed to do?

Whilst sharing the opinion of the model I'd suggest you may have a problem
with a diverter valve. Is the heating pipework warming up when you ask it
for hot water? This assumes that your gas variation is actually adequate

but
this would need a manometer to check

Thanks. I'll check that but, in the meantime, I'm interested to know why you
dislike them. I was actually on the point of trying to get another LeBlanc
till I discovered they're now owned by Bosch. If it has faults that I've
been unaware of for 18 years, I'd obviously like to avoid them in any
replacement boiler.

Pete C June 7th 04 11:15 PM

Boiler problem

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 23:05:48 +0000 (UTC), "Hugh"
wrote:

always worth trying heat sensors first - only cost £6 - 10 each - simple to
fit, and because they get furred up/and/or fail, can cause havoc.
I'm talking Worcester boilers here - but maybe just as simple on other
brands - a call to tech. helpline is often worthwhile.
Hugh

Hi,

What do the heat sensors do?

cheers,