Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Richard

Default Poor WIFI Signal strength

hello All

I've just got round to installing my Belkin ADSL Modem/wireless router
to replace my USB connected BT ADSL modem and I'm having problems with
the wireless signal strength that I'm receiving on my notebook which
is equiped with a fairly old Belkin PCMCIA wireless network card -
802.11b

I used to use cable (NTL) in my old place and used to run just a
wireless belkin gateway router which the cable modem plugged into and
I had no problems with the signal strength at all. In fact I used to
regularly, in the summer work outside in the garden without any
problems. With my new kit the signal strength is only 50% max when my
notebook is in the same room as the router and often drops below
30%!!! If I walk outside the room my connection drops completely.
Obviously this is not what I want and I was expecting something better
than this

I have a wireless thermostat (yep good old CM67) and that has no
problems at all working from all rooms.

I have also tried all channels to no avail. The signal quality is
pretty high according to the WLAN monitor often hitting 100%. Does
anyone have any ideas why I am experiencing this and any ideas how I
can fix or improve the signal, could this be a problem at the BT end?

For attenuation I am seeing 59.0 downstream and 31.5 up if that helps

TIA

Cheers

Richard