Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
russ4956

Default Stainless steel pipes - new radiator fitting

Hi Guys,

I wondered if anyone here could help me - I've read a few of the
FAQ here about Stainless steel pipes (Good one from Nighjar) and to be
honest I'm a little confused as what the best solution would be.

My problem is I want to fit new radiators (old house from the 30s with
old Servowarm radiators apparently.) As usual all the piping seems to
be a mixture of copper/stainless steel etc.
The old radiator piping all seems to be in Stainless steel (to the best
of my knowledge) and after reading Nighjar's FAQ - it seems that
soldering is not the way to go if you want an easy life when joining
copper onto Stainless steel.

I don't want to replace all the piping, I only want to put the new
rads on - fixing new valves in copper onto the existing stainless steel
pipes.
(The rads only have one valve at present - so in case of a leak they
can't be isolated.)

I read here that compression fittings are the best and easiest thing to
do - How easy are they to use?

Any advice on doing the above project would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Russ

Welding stainless to mild steel -- Ernie? Don Foreman Metalworking 11 January 13th 05 09:18 AM
Stainless steel pipes. Mark UK diy 5 December 19th 03 10:48 PM
Satin finish Fridge & Stainless Steel Appliances OK? calberto Home Ownership 1 September 8th 03 12:35 AM
How reliable is non-magnetic test for Stainless Steel? Dan Musicant Metalworking 7 September 3rd 03 12:15 AM