timycelyn

Default Room occupancy sensing for lighting control

Having tried all the obvious ploys, and even some quite creative ones, I
have not yet managed to control my family's habit of leaving pretty well all
the lights in the house on each night and every night (or so it seems,
perchance I exaggerate slightly.....but only slightly).

I remember seeing reference in a recent thread to govt offices where they
can tell if it is occupied and if not the lighting shuts down, and I'm sure
I've come across this before.

My question is, is there a neat, simple and tidy way I can implement this in
the home? In theory I know I could do it with a screwfix PIR detector, but
it's not exactly a thing of beauty in the dining room, and the wiring in
otherwise finished rooms, plaster chasing etc would be rather off putting
for the gain.

In my ideal world I'd be looking for a special flush switch unit that had a
PIR built into its face that could simply be exchanged for the normal switch
in a normal flush box.

Do such things exist, and if so, any ideas where I should look?

Many thanks

Tim

Richard

timycelyn wrote:

In my ideal world I'd be looking for a special flush switch unit that had a
PIR built into its face that could simply be exchanged for the normal switch
in a normal flush box.

Do such things exist, and if so, any ideas where I should look?

Many thanks

Tim

Stayed in a B+B with PIRs built into the light switches in the hallways.
I think that they were tuned for less athletic guests as I was always
past the areas of darkness before the PIRs had reacted.

Richard
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

http://www.diyprojects.info
logized

"timycelyn" wrote in message
[...]

They are built-in to the light fittings in the office types so they only
sense anyone moving nearby to that light.
A possibility for home use may be a ceiling mounted device - see
http://www.toolstation.com/?code=33277

Dave

logized

"logized" wrote in message

"timycelyn" wrote in message
[...]

Just noticed a much cheaper sensor that has 360 deg detection -
http://www.toolstation.com/?code=33267

Dave

Newshound

I have the same problem (too idle to do anything about it). Seem like a good
idea, but just had a thought. If these thingies also recognise that it's
light enough not to need lights on, why don't they turn themselves off when
they are on (if you see what I mean).

Also, at £18 a time it would take a while to pay back, especially if you've
already converted the culprits to fluorescents.

Mike

"
timycelyn wrote:

In my ideal world I'd be looking for a special flush switch unit that

had a
PIR built into its face that could simply be exchanged for the normal

switch
in a normal flush box.

Do such things exist, and if so, any ideas where I should look?

Never seem one in a switch box so I've fitted one of these into a recess in
the ceiling with just the sensor showing.

Mike

"Newshound" wrote in message
I have the same problem (too idle to do anything about it). Seem like a

good
idea, but just had a thought. If these thingies also recognise that it's
light enough not to need lights on, why don't they turn themselves off

when
they are on (if you see what I mean).

Because they only sense the light level before they turn themselves on

Christopher Key

timycelyn wrote:
[...]

We have such devices in the corridors here. They look like they are mounted
into a standard flush mounted box in the ceiling, so can see no reason why
they couldn't be wall mounted instead. I'm afriad I've no idea where they
came from though.

Chris Key

Christopher Key

Christopher Key wrote:
timycelyn wrote:
[...]

I think they are almost certainly these:

http://www.elkay.co.uk/main_products/energy/pg76.htm

Chris Key

brugnospamsia

"Newshound" wrote in message
I have the same problem (too idle to do anything about it). Seem like a
good idea, but just had a thought. If these thingies also recognise that
it's light enough not to need lights on, why don't they turn themselves off
when they are on (if you see what I mean).

Also, at £18 a time it would take a while to pay back, especially if
you've already converted the culprits to fluorescents.

methinks a conversion job on off the shelf security lights is in order ...
and I have a friend who'd have the 500 watt floodlights off me to illuminate
her trees :-)

.... though 360 degree operation might be difficult to organise elegantly

Jeremy

timycelyn

"Christopher Key" wrote in message
Christopher Key wrote:
timycelyn wrote:
[...]

Thanks very much indeed to everyone who replied - this gives me several
leads that I will now look further into. I'll sort them out yet!

All the best

Tim

John

In article ,
"timycelyn" wrote:
I remember seeing reference in a recent thread to govt offices where they
can tell if it is occupied and if not the lighting shuts down, and I'm sure
I've come across this before. ...

Movement or heat or what? We have these in some of our large cluster
rooms. At quite periods (when new users don't enter the room, or any
leave) it is not unknown for users to be plunged into darkness because
they're sitting working quietly, not moving.

Probably not a problem in small areas though.

John
Tim Mitchell

In article , timycelyn
writes

Christopher Key wrote:
timycelyn wrote:
[...]

Be warned that they don't work well in rooms where you sit down and stop
moving. There you are, reading the newspaper, whoops, off go the lights.
Then you have to stand up and do a little dance to get them on again.

They are OK for corridors where you are just passing through and there
is plenty of movement to detect. I've seen them used successfully in
toilets as well.

--
Tim Mitchell
Lurch

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:59:45 +0000 (UTC), "timycelyn"
strung together this:

My question is, is there a neat, simple and tidy way I can implement this in
the home?

One thing most replies have overlooked is th3e fact that the PIR will
require a neutral, which is extremely unlikely to be in the back of
any of the switches so a fair amount of replacing switch drops back to
the associated lights will be going on.
--

SJW
Mike

"timycelyn" wrote in message

I think they are almost certainly these:

http://www.elkay.co.uk/main_products/energy/pg76.htm

Chris Key

Thanks very much indeed to everyone who replied - this gives me several
leads that I will now look further into. I'll sort them out yet!

If you find the eljat product at a good price please let me know.

dave @ stejonda

In message , Lurch
writes
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:59:45 +0000 (UTC), "timycelyn"
strung together this:

My question is, is there a neat, simple and tidy way I can implement this in
the home?

One thing most replies have overlooked is th3e fact that the PIR will
require a neutral, which is extremely unlikely to be in the back of
any of the switches so a fair amount of replacing switch drops back to
the associated lights will be going on.

though one item on the elkay site claims not to require a neutral -
"375A The unit is activated when moving body heat is detected. When no
more movement is detected the timer cycle starts. Unit includes integral
override and light sensor switch. No neutral required."

--
dave @ stejonda
Lurch

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:17:54 +0000, "dave @ stejonda"
strung together this:

though one item on the elkay site claims not to require a neutral -

Must admit, I only glanced at a couple. Worth the OP bearing in mind
though.
--

SJW
quisquiliae

Tim Mitchell wrote:

timycelyn wrote:

I remember seeing reference in a recent thread to govt offices where
they can tell if it is occupied and if not the lighting shuts down,
and I'm sure I've come across this before.

Be warned that they don't work well in rooms where you sit down and stop
moving. There you are, reading the newspaper, whoops, off go the lights.
Then you have to stand up and do a little dance to get them on again.

Ah yes, I remember a lecture room, airless and more to the point
windowless where if everyone was sitting quietly paying attention the
lights would suddenly go out. Quick somebody do some hand waving!

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Mike

"quisquiliae" wrote in message
. uk...
Tim Mitchell wrote:

timycelyn wrote:

I remember seeing reference in a recent thread to govt offices where
they can tell if it is occupied and if not the lighting shuts down,
and I'm sure I've come across this before.

Be warned that they don't work well in rooms where you sit down and stop
moving. There you are, reading the newspaper, whoops, off go the lights.
Then you have to stand up and do a little dance to get them on again.

Ah yes, I remember a lecture room, airless and more to the point
windowless where if everyone was sitting quietly paying attention the
lights would suddenly go out. Quick somebody do some hand waving!

Or maybe not if you're all asleep :-)