Default Identifying mystery wire.

Not that i'm allowed to touch my home electrics anymore, (Part P, grr)
but say I had a mystery wire dangling near my fusebox, which disappears
into the 1st floor landing void. How could I identify this wire without
energising it (as i'm not at all sure what is connected to the other
end) I have a sneaky feeling it goes to the loft, but have no way of so
determining.

The other wires all go to a CU with MCB's, so isolation of all the
other wiring is not a problem.

How do the experts identify individual wires once they've gone through
floor voids etc .. ?

I'm sure there's a simple explanation staring me in the face here !!

Cheers

Paul.

Tim S

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:34:56 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

A few things you could do...

Bare then ends of the wire you can see and measure the resistance between
each of the cores. If you get infinite resistance measured between each
with you DMM on its highest range, then it ought to be safe to power the
wire up temporarily. You could turn off all the other circuits and connect
this one to power (via a low value MCB) in the CU. Then use a
voltage/metal detector to check each likely wire you think it might be to
see if it is live.

If you're going to do that, I would be inclined to supply the live via a
2 Megohm 400V min (not 240V, mains peaks at upto 350V) rated 1/4W
min resistor. That will limit the fault current to 1/8mA. Assuming the
insulation resistance is =2Megohms (big assumption for old random cable)
then you should get a reasonable electric field for the detector to pick
up.

You could progress through smaller resistors, but I wouldn't go below
0.5Megohm.

I didn't say that would be a 100% safe thing to do, but it would be safer
than whopping unlimited mains on an unknown cable. Only you're bound to
find the random cable end floating around and touching something metal, or
you'll stick your fingers on it when fishing around in the dim attic.

A low value MCB will still kill you and an RCD will still give a hefty
bang on a dead short.

You can get (beg/borrow/steal) cable tracers (try a
network installer or a phone installer) - these are a tad safer.

HTH

Tim
John Rumm

Tim S wrote:

If you're going to do that, I would be inclined to supply the live via a
2 Megohm 400V min (not 240V, mains peaks at upto 350V) rated 1/4W
min resistor. That will limit the fault current to 1/8mA. Assuming the
insulation resistance is =2Megohms (big assumption for old random cable)
then you should get a reasonable electric field for the detector to pick
up.

Good advice. Partly why I was suggesting a non contact method for
detection, but thinking through the possible scenarios that is only safe
when you can pretty much guarentee non contact! If in doubt, wear
insulating gloves and make sure there is no one likely to be a liability
in the house.

You can get (beg/borrow/steal) cable tracers (try a
network installer or a phone installer) - these are a tad safer.

Probably the best way... not looked lately, but it may be a small set is
not as expensive as it once was.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
Not that i'm allowed to touch my home electrics anymore, (Part P, grr)
but say I had a mystery wire dangling near my fusebox, which disappears
into the 1st floor landing void. How could I identify this wire without
energising it (as i'm not at all sure what is connected to the other
end) I have a sneaky feeling it goes to the loft, but have no way of so
determining.

Best to think it's faulty in some way and remove it.

The other wires all go to a CU with MCB's, so isolation of all the
other wiring is not a problem.

How do the experts identify individual wires once they've gone through
floor voids etc .. ?

Old houses will often have odd ends of old wiring around. Hack it off if
it bothers you, but don't even think of using it.

I'm sure there's a simple explanation staring me in the face here !!

There are ways of tracing cable runs, but not of much use in this case.

--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
Not that i'm allowed to touch my home electrics anymore, (Part P, grr)

You ARE allowed to touch them. (apart from the kitchen but I think this
will disappear soon like the pressurised HW systems restriction)

Lurch

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:43:28 +0000, John Rumm
strung together this:

You can get (beg/borrow/steal) cable tracers (try a
network installer or a phone installer) - these are a tad safer.

Yep, that'd be my choice.

About £35 from http://www.millsltd.co.uk IIRC.
--

SJW

Rob Morley wrote:
zymurgy says...
Not that i'm allowed to touch my home electrics anymore, (Part P,

grr)
but say I had a mystery wire dangling near my fusebox,
How could I identify this wire without energising it

When you say wire do you mean a cable containing two or more
conductors, or a single conductor? If it's a single conductor and an

old house then it could be an aerial.

LOL!

Actually I do have Electrical Installation C&G parts 1 & 2 from way
back when, so I can identify a relatively new T+E when I see it ;-)

Just a bit rusty on cable tracing, but certainly appreciate all of the
answers i've had to stimulate the dormant brain cells.

Cheers,

Paul.

Lurch wrote:
John Rumm strung together

You can get (beg/borrow/steal)

may be a small set is not as expensive as it once was

About =A335 from http://www.millsltd.co.uk IIRC.

Couldn't see much below =A343 .. ?

Cheers

Paul.

Grounding Rodney Kelp Electronics Repair 43 December 6th 04 01:39 AM
Repairing Lightning Damaged Tv's CJ Electronics Repair 20 June 22nd 04 06:03 AM
automotive wire size calculator CampinGazz Electronics 1 January 5th 04 07:02 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM