Derek Stewart

Default Help! Cost of installing a cobi boiler???

After a lot of research I plan to get my old boiler replaced with a
Worcester Bosch Greenstar 35HE Plus which I can get from
www.uselessenergy.org.uk for £832 + VAT. I've done quite a bit of water
plumbing myself over the years, but as this also involves gas I called a few
CORGI registered installers today to get an idea of pricing for them to do
it and am currently in a state of shock!
Some wouldn't even give me a price as they said they would only install
something they supplied (even although the Energy Smart website above simply
send you a voucher to get it from The Plumb Centre). One even said the
public shouldn't be allowed to buy the boilers as if he doesn't supply it he
can't put his own mark-up on it!
The general rate that the others quoted that would fit it was over £400 for
one days labour (without any materials) and it would be a 2 to 3 day job!
Is it just me or does this seem extreme? Some said they have overheads to
cover like their van, tools, training courses, memberships to CORGI etc, but
they can't be that much. £8000 per month can pay a lot of overheads!
Am I going to get quoted these rates by everyone or have I just been unlucky
with the ones I've called so far? If anyone knows a good CORGI registered
installer around South Manchester please let me know.

John Rumm

www.uselessenergy.org.uk for ï½£832 + VAT. I've done quite a bit of water
plumbing myself over the years, but as this also involves gas I called a few
CORGI registered installers today to get an idea of pricing for them to do
it and am currently in a state of shock!

What is your old heating system like? were you including (for example)
stripping out old cylinders and repiping from a stored water system to a
combi?

Some wouldn't even give me a price as they said they would only install
something they supplied (even although the Energy Smart website above simply
send you a voucher to get it from The Plumb Centre). One even said the
public shouldn't be allowed to buy the boilers as if he doesn't supply it he
can't put his own mark-up on it!

At least he was honest about it! ;-)

The general rate that the others quoted that would fit it was over ï½£400 for

Down sarf that would not be unreasonable, don't know about up there.

one days labour (without any materials) and it would be a 2 to 3 day job!

A 2 to 3 day job sounds like he would be doing more than just
commisioning the gas side of it...

Were you asking for them to do the full install, or were you planning on
doing all the non gas stuff? (doing the latter will find you even fewer
interested plumbers, but the price should go down to half a days work)

Is it just me or does this seem extreme? Some said they have overheads to
cover like their van, tools, training courses, memberships to CORGI etc, but
they can't be that much. ï½£8000 per month can pay a lot of overheads!

Remember, the object of the exercise (for the plumber at least) is to do
more than break even after paying for the overheads - they are not a
public service. Given the current state of the market (i.e. lots of
demand, not much supply) they can pretty much charge whatever the market
will stand. You can probably expect the effects of part P to kick in and
hike prices a bit more yet.

Am I going to get quoted these rates by everyone or have I just been unlucky
with the ones I've called so far? If anyone knows a good CORGI registered
installer around South Manchester please let me know.

How about doing it yourself? You should be able to get enough info to do
the gas work safely from the various FAQs on this group and a bit of
reading.

--
Cheers,

John.

Derek Stewart

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Derek Stewart wrote:

After a lot of research I plan to get my old boiler replaced with a
Worcester Bosch Greenstar 35HE Plus which I can get from
www.uselessenergy.org.uk for ?832 + VAT. I've done quite a bit of water
plumbing myself over the years, but as this also involves gas I called a
few CORGI registered installers today to get an idea of pricing for them
to do it and am currently in a state of shock!

What is your old heating system like? were you including (for example)
stripping out old cylinders and repiping from a stored water system to a
combi?

Old system is a conventional strorage system with tank in the loft. Job is
to move the pipework from the old system to the new combi boiler that I want
about 6 feet away (on an external wall) and cap off the unnecessary pipework
in the loft.

Some wouldn't even give me a price as they said they would only install
something they supplied (even although the Energy Smart website above
simply send you a voucher to get it from The Plumb Centre). One even said
the public shouldn't be allowed to buy the boilers as if he doesn't
supply it he can't put his own mark-up on it!

At least he was honest about it! ;-)

It wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't been so smug sounding at the same
time!

The general rate that the others quoted that would fit it was over ?400
for

Down sarf that would not be unreasonable, don't know about up there.

one days labour (without any materials) and it would be a 2 to 3 day job!

A 2 to 3 day job sounds like he would be doing more than just commisioning
the gas side of it...

Were you asking for them to do the full install, or were you planning on
doing all the non gas stuff? (doing the latter will find you even fewer
interested plumbers, but the price should go down to half a days work)

I was asking for them to do it all as the actual unskilled water pipe stuff
and installing the vent I didn't think would amount to much. I had
considered doing all the water pipe work myself as the Worcester boiler
comes with a jig you mount on the wall to connect upto before you do the
final comissioning stage of fitting the boiler to it, but as you say, I'd be
even less popular with the installers out there and may not get many takers!

Is it just me or does this seem extreme? Some said they have overheads to
cover like their van, tools, training courses, memberships to CORGI etc,
but they can't be that much. ?8000 per month can pay a lot of overheads!

Remember, the object of the exercise (for the plumber at least) is to do
more than break even after paying for the overheads - they are not a
public service. Given the current state of the market (i.e. lots of
demand, not much supply) they can pretty much charge whatever the market
will stand. You can probably expect the effects of part P to kick in and
hike prices a bit more yet.

I can't blame them. If people are going to pay it then good on them. And I
don't mind paying good money for a good job, but it just seems so out of
sync with all the other public trades.

Am I going to get quoted these rates by everyone or have I just been
unlucky with the ones I've called so far? If anyone knows a good CORGI
registered installer around South Manchester please let me know.

How about doing it yourself? You should be able to get enough info to do
the gas work safely from the various FAQs on this group and a bit of
reading.

I'm seriously considering it again...although the wife want's it done this
year!!! I wouldn't touch the gas, but could easily plumb in all the water
pipes and fit the flue. But to get the discount from the Energy Smart
website for the boiler you have to give them all the details of your Corgi
registered fitter who they also contact. Buying it as Joe Public adds a few
hundred pounds to the price!

--
Cheers,

John.

Jonathan Pearson

Derek Stewart wrote:

SNIP
Am I going to get quoted these rates by everyone or have I just been
unlucky with the ones I've called so far? If anyone knows a good
CORGI registered installer around South Manchester please let me know.

It was the case a few years ago (and still probably is the case), but your
exact situation is (was?) actively encouraged by Wickes in that if you
bought a boiler from them, they gave instructions on how to do all the wet
work etc, and the final connection to the gas pipe / comissioning/checking
was undertook by a CORGI installer, they had a good idea leaflet with a list
of local installers who would undetake the work for you - it may be worth
your while poping down to you local wickes and see if they still have the
leaflet??, and give the ones listed a try - let us know who you get on!

Good luck
Jon

Andrew Chesters

Derek Stewart wrote:
[...]

Welcome to the world of the cartel! It'll be just like that with wiring
before long...

Interesting to me from the POV that I am shortly (ish) to embark on the
same sort of project. May just DIMS (Oh God, that acronym will have to
change) and bolix to CORGI.

I wonder how long it will be before the building regs have a Part Q; You
must be a paid up plumber, or R; You must be a time served painter &
decorator?

Has anyone else noticed that the spell check in Firefox wants to change
'regs' to 'dregs'; I wonder why?
quisquiliae

Derek Stewart wrote:
After a lot of research I plan to get my old boiler replaced with a

The general rate that the others quoted that would fit it was over £400 for
one days labour (without any materials) and it would be a 2 to 3 day job!
Is it just me or does this seem extreme? Some said they have overheads to

In central London I've just had a quote for a new combi -- £3,000 +vat

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quisquiliae
Derek Stewart wrote:
After a lot of research I plan to get my old boiler replaced with a

The general rate that the others quoted that would fit it was over £400 for
one days labour (without any materials) and it would be a 2 to 3 day job!
Is it just me or does this seem extreme? Some said they have overheads to

In central London I've just had a quote for a new combi -- £3,000 +vat

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"

I'll travel to Manchester or London, give you a fair price, not sell you what you don't need. Check me out on corgi website for contact details. reg no 211400.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barker
I'll travel to Manchester or London, give you a fair price, not sell you what you don't need. Check me out on corgi website for contact details. reg no 211400.
Although I personally recommend Buderus over Worcester, both now owned by Bosch, Buderus are a real engineers boiler (2 year guarantee extendable to 5 years parts and labour for only £95), far superior to Worcester in construction quality and design, with a 25 year proven condensing technowlogy in Holland where over 80% of boilers are condensing.. I'll still fit your Worcester if you've already bought it, they aren't too bad, and a lot better thanm the cheap boilers which I'd rather not fit at all, 'cause I don't like going back to show people how to press the reset button again and again and again.
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:05:06 +0000, quisquiliae wrote:

Derek Stewart wrote:
After a lot of research I plan to get my old boiler replaced with a

The general rate that the others quoted that would fit it was over £400 for
one days labour (without any materials) and it would be a 2 to 3 day job!
Is it just me or does this seem extreme? Some said they have overheads to

In central London I've just had a quote for a new combi -- £3,000 +vat

I'd set other work to one side for that.
And there'd be no vat.
Even allow for the parking fines and getting the van towed
away/vandalized/broken into it should pay.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
In central London I've just had a quote for a new combi -- £3,000 +vat

I'd set other work to one side for that.
And there'd be no vat.
Even allow for the parking fines and getting the van towed
away/vandalized/broken into it should pay.

Most areas have resident's parking, and allow the purchase of a daily pass
for tradesmen, etc. But you must know this? ;-)

--
*Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ed Sirett

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:25:36 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article .uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
In central London I've just had a quote for a new combi -- £3,000 +vat

I'd set other work to one side for that.
And there'd be no vat.
Even allow for the parking fines and getting the van towed
away/vandalized/broken into it should pay.

Most areas have resident's parking, and allow the purchase of a daily pass
for tradesmen, etc. But you must know this? ;-)

When talking about _central_ London all the rules are rewritten. There are
places where there is NO parking whatsoever. The congestion charge.
Places where there is very limited parking that is not available to mere
mortals etc.etc.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sirett

Derek Stewart wrote:
After a lot of research I plan to get my old boiler replaced with a

The general rate that the others quoted that would fit it was over £400 for
one days labour (without any materials) and it would be a 2 to 3 day job!
Is it just me or does this seem extreme? Some said they have overheads to

In central London I've just had a quote for a new combi -- £3,000 +vat

I'd set other work to one side for that.
And there'd be no vat.
Even allow for the parking fines and getting the van towed
away/vandalized/broken into it should pay.

I belive what is done when we outsiders work in central London is you arrange digs where you can park the van, deliver all tools and work mates to job, go back to digs with van and go back to join mates by public transport. The job pays sufficient for hotel accomodation.

I did a job in Hounslow with another guy from Yorkshire, we undercut the locals by £1,000, yet after accomodation, travel and the cost of eating out every night we made more money than we are acustomed to, and the customer got a first rate job done. Only downside was all those aircraft over your head. I understand the locals don't hear them.

You'd have to pay me a lot of money to live and work in London. I don't mind the occasional job down there, but I love the North for quality of life. As far as I'm conscerned for ordinary folk the north south divide is luxury up north, slum living down south.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
Most areas have resident's parking, and allow the purchase of a daily
pass for tradesmen, etc. But you must know this? ;-)

When talking about _central_ London all the rules are rewritten. There
are places where there is NO parking whatsoever. The congestion charge.

Oh, indeed. But there are roads in near every town where parking is not
allowed at all.

Places where there is very limited parking that is not available to mere
mortals etc.etc.

It may be possible to make special arrangements with the council - think
things like film units, etc.

Not cheap, but possible. For your 3000 quid one off job. ;-) But a
nightmare for the 'jobber' who needs a van to carry tools and materials.

--
*Rehab is for quitters

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Paul Barker wrote:
I belive what is done when we outsiders work in central London is you
arrange digs where you can park the van, deliver all tools and work
mates to job, go back to digs with van and go back to join mates by
public transport. The job pays sufficient for hotel accomodation.

A mate who was having major works done provided a couple of rooms for the
out of town builders to sleep in - and gave them a decent evening meal.
Said it was well worth it for the savings, and decent workmanship.
Certainly worth thinking about if you know of good builders and haven't
yet moved in.

--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

quisquiliae

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It may be possible to make special arrangements with the council - think
things like film units, etc.

Did that when the tree surgeons needed to cart away the remnants of
something that that climbed all over the garden wall. (Until thick
neighbour burnt garden rubbish too close, set fire to it -- fire engines
etc.)
Camden's charge was something like £150 a day to suspend a parking bay.
(The traffic wardens are based in the old police station 50 yards
down the road, so we see rather a lot of them when they change shifts.)

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Senior Member

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It may be possible to make special arrangements with the council - think
things like film units, etc.

Did that when the tree surgeons needed to cart away the remnants of
something that that climbed all over the garden wall. (Until thick
neighbour burnt garden rubbish too close, set fire to it -- fire engines
etc.)
Camden's charge was something like £150 a day to suspend a parking bay.
(The traffic wardens are based in the old police station 50 yards
down the road, so we see rather a lot of them when they change shifts.)

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"

Ouch £150 a day to park. That would pay the hotel bill and public transport. 'course it's always a bummer that no matter how much an old hand you are you find a few hours into the job half a dozen things you've forgotten to bring. Just have to get it black cabbed over I suppose?

Oh how lucky we are working and living where we do. I understand most normal people in central London don't keep a car. You'd have to pay me a lot more than loncoin weighting to prize my independence off me! Thank goodness I moved out of the smoke in '97 to the more afluent (for ordinary folk) north.
Derek Stewart

Just to let you know I finally found a Corgi plumber through a friend who
will do the job for £150 a day. 2 Day job so cost of the boiler + £100 misc
materials +£300 labour. Sorted!!
Sanity at last.

"Derek Stewart" wrote in message
[...]

TRVs, flow switches and boiler cycling Mike Clarke UK diy 18 November 8th 04 05:00 PM
Noisy banging boiler what is the cause? Tim UK diy 8 November 3rd 04 09:36 PM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 08:29 PM