Howie

Default correct dimmer switch...

Hi all,

I've been looking at the following TLC dimmer switches for a new
light fitting:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIS1401.html

This light consists of a 12v transformer and 7 x 20W "G4" halogen
bulbs.

The only other technical details in the box and instructions, is:

PRI.230V - 50Hz / SEC.12V

Can anyone tell me if this is a suitable dimmer switch? I REALLY
don't want this to buzz when dimmed!

TIA (as always).

H.

--
Howard Coakley
e-mail... howarddot}coakleyatcoakleydot].codotuk
John Rumm

Howie wrote:

Hi all,

I've been looking at the following TLC dimmer switches for a new
light fitting:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIS1401.html

This light consists of a 12v transformer and 7 x 20W "G4" halogen
bulbs.

The only other technical details in the box and instructions, is:

PRI.230V - 50Hz / SEC.12V

Can anyone tell me if this is a suitable dimmer switch? I REALLY
don't want this to buzz when dimmed!

Depends on the transformer, does it say suitable for dimming on it?

Chances are however it will be fine.

--
Cheers,

John.

Rob Morley

In article , "Howie"
lid says...
Hi all,

I've been looking at the following TLC dimmer switches for a new
light fitting:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIS1401.html

This light consists of a 12v transformer and 7 x 20W "G4" halogen
bulbs.

The only other technical details in the box and instructions, is:

PRI.230V - 50Hz / SEC.12V

Can anyone tell me if this is a suitable dimmer switch? I REALLY
don't want this to buzz when dimmed!

I thought running halogens at low voltage killed them quicker.
Howie

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 02:59:40 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

|Howie wrote:
|
| Hi all,
|
| I've been looking at the following TLC dimmer switches for a new
| light fitting:
| http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIS1401.html
|
| This light consists of a 12v transformer and 7 x 20W "G4" halogen
| bulbs.
|
| The only other technical details in the box and instructions, is:
|
| PRI.230V - 50Hz / SEC.12V
|
| Can anyone tell me if this is a suitable dimmer switch? I REALLY
| don't want this to buzz when dimmed!
|
|Depends on the transformer, does it say suitable for dimming on it?
|
|Chances are however it will be fine.

I think i'll risk it. The transformer tells me nothing. However,
the shop said it's suitable for dimming. It's the potential
buzzing which would be a problem.

Thanks again.

H.

John Rumm

Howie wrote:

I think i'll risk it. The transformer tells me nothing. However,
the shop said it's suitable for dimming. It's the potential
buzzing which would be a problem.

If it is any comfort, I just installed a 250W SMPS "transformer" on a
modern dimmer switch, powering 200W of track lighting, and there is
little or no buzzing to notice, certainly none from the transformer
itself that I can hear.

--
Cheers,

John.

Howie

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:17:16 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

|Howie wrote:
|

| I think i'll risk it. The transformer tells me nothing. However,
| the shop said it's suitable for dimming. It's the potential
| buzzing which would be a problem.
|
|If it is any comfort, I just installed a 250W SMPS "transformer" on a
|modern dimmer switch, powering 200W of track lighting, and there is
|little or no buzzing to notice, certainly none from the transformer
|itself that I can hear.

That's good news. I'll post an update when the switch arrives
:-)
Old Bill

Rob Morley wrote:
In article , "Howie"
lid says...

Hi all,

I've been looking at the following TLC dimmer switches for a new
light fitting:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIS1401.html

This light consists of a 12v transformer and 7 x 20W "G4" halogen
bulbs.

The only other technical details in the box and instructions, is:

PRI.230V - 50Hz / SEC.12V

Can anyone tell me if this is a suitable dimmer switch? I REALLY
don't want this to buzz when dimmed!

I thought running halogens at low voltage killed them quicker.

Me too

VS Dimmer Switch Use John Moorhead Woodworking 11 January 20th 05 01:51 PM
Dimmer switch wiring colinbragg UK diy 2 December 20th 04 04:03 PM
dimmer switch with pull string switch Andy Saggers UK diy 2 March 10th 04 10:18 PM
dimmer switch - _hot_ screws Blake Patterson Home Repair 21 November 11th 03 07:23 PM
Dimmer Switch Advice Chris Spyrou UK diy 0 October 6th 03 07:13 PM