EricP

Default Indesit W113 just 2 years old

On spin it sounds like the gearbox on a B&D hammer drill, a hammering
noise, quiet at the moment, but getting louder.

Any ideas and is this normal for a machine this age, used 2x a week?

ie Do I have to sue Indesit to get them to fix it as being
unreasonable?

Cheers

T i m

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:28:16 GMT, EricP wrote:

On spin it sounds like the gearbox on a B&D hammer drill, a hammering
noise, quiet at the moment, but getting louder.

Any ideas and is this normal for a machine this age, used 2x a week?

I'm not sure these days .. now we have 'bean counters' running the
world and everything being cut back to the bare minimum (some) things
just aren't built or seem to last like they used to (or to even last a
time considered 'reasonable'?) A mate commented that the motor in his
new Hotpoint was about 1/3 the size of the one in the model it
replaced and he has to change the brushes once a year?

The assumption that everyone wants the cheapest goods is also flawed
as we all know 'you get's what you pays for'. I know sometimes with
things like power tools being used on site you are more likely to get
them knicked than worn out so cheaper 'disposable' tools can be worth
while (depending etc) but a washing machine isn't something easily
carried in and out ;-)

ie Do I have to sue Indesit to get them to fix it as being
unreasonable?

I would first ask at the shop you bought it from and then ask Indesit
what they think. I would have thought any make should last more than
two years at that duty cycle but I have only bought two washing
machines in the 26 years I have lived here and they have both been
AEG's.

If the bearings are going on your machine than they can generally be
replaced quite cheaply using std bearings from a trade supplier (or
your machine parts place as I think they often 'bulk buy' bearings and
get good prices). Sometimes you may also need a seal that is only
available in the form of an expensive 'kit'.

When I did the above on the AEG a couple of years ago the AEG solution
was over 100 pounds for the parts and it cost me about 30 to find /
fit the parts myself.

Have you actually had a quick look inside the machine yet Eric .. it
could be something 'simple' ..? Can you rock the inner drum up and
down much from the front (bearing slack)?

All the best ..

T i m
EricP

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 09:44:25 GMT, T i m babbled
like a waterfall and said:

Have you actually had a quick look inside the machine yet Eric .. it
could be something 'simple' ..? Can you rock the inner drum up and
down much from the front (bearing slack)?

All the best ..

T i m

No, the case comes off this afternoon to do a listen test to locate
the exact area of noise.

Thanks for the feedback.

Lurch

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:28:16 GMT, EricP strung
together this:

On spin it sounds like the gearbox on a B&D hammer drill, a hammering
noise, quiet at the moment, but getting louder.

Sounds like bearings, not uncommon.

Any ideas and is this normal for a machine this age, used 2x a week?

No, they're usually doing well to last a fortnight. Most don't even
work staright off the van. Beleieve it or not, you've had a good'un.

Do I have to sue Indesit to get them to fix it as being
unreasonable?

I wouldn't bother, Indesit are totally wank. Scrap it and get yourself
a decent machine.
--

SJW
EricP

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:38:36 +0000, Lurch
babbled like a waterfall and said:

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:28:16 GMT, EricP strung
together this:

On spin it sounds like the gearbox on a B&D hammer drill, a hammering
noise, quiet at the moment, but getting louder.

Sounds like bearings, not uncommon.

Any ideas and is this normal for a machine this age, used 2x a week?

No, they're usually doing well to last a fortnight. Most don't even
work staright off the van. Beleieve it or not, you've had a good'un.

Do I have to sue Indesit to get them to fix it as being
unreasonable?

I wouldn't bother, Indesit are totally wank. Scrap it and get yourself
a decent machine.

The staff call them Inde****!

Thanks for the words on this. )

Lurch

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:01:32 GMT, EricP strung
together this:

The staff call them Inde****!

You bought it from us? (Although tho be fair, we call them Inde****e)
..
Thanks for the words on this. )

No worries!
--

SJW
EricP

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:14:18 +0000, Lurch
babbled like a waterfall and said:

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:01:32 GMT, EricP strung
together this:

The staff call them Inde****!

You bought it from us? (Although tho be fair, we call them Inde****e)

My wife makes your motors! (But not for long, it's going "abroad" and
closing down)

.
Thanks for the words on this. )

No worries!

I have ordered a bearings kit for £20, and will get another two if it
works ok. That will keep us going for 4 to 5 years with replacement
every 1.8 years or so. A bit sad but at least I know the machines weak
areas and can fix it. Our 12 year old Hover was the main motor and
door locking mechanism, I rebuilt them so much, they were old friends.
Lurch

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:01:50 GMT, EricP strung
together this:

My wife makes your motors! (But not for long, it's going "abroad" and
closing down)

Oh, you mean Indesit staff. Definitely not me then. I would have
nothing to do with them, never have and never will.

I have ordered a bearings kit for £20, and will get another two if it
works ok. That will keep us going for 4 to 5 years with replacement
every 1.8 years or so. A bit sad but at least I know the machines weak
areas and can fix it.

Hmm, assuming it is just the bearings that go. Chances are you'd be
better off patching it together now and then getting something more
reliable next time it goes wrong that will cost a bit more but will
give you many more years of trouble free running.

Personally, I'd just scrap it now, (although I wouldn't have bought it
in the first place).

Our 12 year old Hover was the main motor and
door locking mechanism, I rebuilt them so much, they were old friends.

Before I got the Bosch I ahd a 12 year old Hoover Logic 1200, apart
from a door seal, pressure pipe and pump it went on with no
trouble....... apart from the chassis where the suspension had torn
away from it, but that was after 10 years of thrashing it, and I just
happened to have a spare identical machine so swapped the insides
over..
--

SJW

My Indesit WG924G will not spin. A4Ale UK diy 1 February 19th 04 07:03 PM
Indesit wdg1295w washer/drier tripping RCD on final fast spin spanner UK diy 6 February 6th 04 10:08 AM
gas boiler thermocouple Stoney UK diy 56 October 20th 03 09:02 PM
Any Indesit dishwasher owners?? Thee_Psycho UK diy 6 October 18th 03 09:39 PM
fault codes for indesit washing machine Jackie Carupie UK diy 1 September 9th 03 09:42 PM