jog

Default Useing PIR switches in parallel

I want to extend the detection area of PIR to operate a single light.

Is this safe?

I have asked this question of a 'shed' helpline twice.
I have been told :-

'yes' once
'no' once

So I come to 'those who know' for advice :-))

garryb59

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 17:45:54 +0000 (UTC), jog wrote:

I want to extend the detection area of PIR to operate a single light.

Is this safe?

I have asked this question of a 'shed' helpline twice.
I have been told :-

'yes' once
'no' once

So I come to 'those who know' for advice :-))

Yes, this is perfectly safe - at least it was when I last posted here,
when I asked the same question :-)
I installed two PIR detectors[got these from wickes I think] in
parellel situated at either end of an dark alleyway which then switch
a single light in the middle of the path. Works a treat.

Garry
brugnospamsia

"jog" wrote in message

I want to extend the detection area of PIR to operate a single light.

Is this safe?

I have asked this question of a 'shed' helpline twice.
I have been told :-

'yes' once
'no' once

So I come to 'those who know' for advice :-))

Probably - especially if they are identical use an electromechanical relay.

I've done the opposite and operated a second light from the same PIR :-

http://uk.geocities.com/gentlegreengiant/PIR.GIF (15kb)

I find it convenient for the 150 watt PIR floodlight outside my front door
to switch on the hall light to make it easier to reset my burglar alarm.
Inside I can switch either light on manually.

Jeremy

I hereby swear this job was done before 1st Jan 2006 ;-)

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
jog wrote:
I want to extend the detection area of PIR to operate a single light.

Is this safe?

I have asked this question of a 'shed' helpline twice.
I have been told :-

'yes' once
'no' once

So I come to 'those who know' for advice :-))

I'd say it would depend on the type of PIR. If it uses a relay to switch
the lights, it will be fine. A solid state 'switch' - pass.

--
*If I worked as much as others, I would do as little as they *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mike

"jog" wrote in message

I want to extend the detection area of PIR to operate a single light.

Is this safe ?

Depends on the PIR. But most are and if you are looking at two of the same
brand I think you can assume it okay.

Lurch

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 17:45:54 +0000 (UTC), jog strung together
this:

I want to extend the detection area of PIR to operate a single light.

Is this safe?

Yes, assuming you're using some 'of the shelf' PIR's from a wholesaler
or similar.
--

SJW

Mike Harrison

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:42:46 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
jog wrote:
I want to extend the detection area of PIR to operate a single light.

Is this safe?

I have asked this question of a 'shed' helpline twice.
I have been told :-

'yes' once
'no' once

So I come to 'those who know' for advice :-))

I'd say it would depend on the type of PIR. If it uses a relay to switch
the lights, it will be fine. A solid state 'switch' - pass.

....and you can usually tell what it uses from the power rating - if over about 500W it is likely to
be a relay.