Kalico

Default OT : Source for printer control codes needed

Sorry to post off-topic but I know many here work in IT.

I am desperate to get the control codes for a Samsung printer.
Samsung don't seem to want to help and I really need to print from an
old DOS app.

Does anyone know of a newsgroup, forum or similar that might be able
to point me in the right direction.

Thanks as always.
Rob

BigWallop

Default Source for printer control codes needed

"Kalico" wrote in message
Sorry to post off-topic but I know many here work in IT.

I am desperate to get the control codes for a Samsung printer.
Samsung don't seem to want to help and I really need to print from an
old DOS app.

Does anyone know of a newsgroup, forum or similar that might be able
to point me in the right direction.

Thanks as always.
Rob

I think you should find some help and some driver software he

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Prin...iver/index.htm (watch
out for line wrap)

There is also a program called "DOS Print" that might help after you get the
proper driver software.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Colin Wilson

Sorry to post off-topic but I know many here work in IT.
I am desperate to get the control codes for a Samsung printer.
Samsung don't seem to want to help and I really need to print from an
old DOS app.

If it uses pcl5 this looks useful (its for a HP laserjet)

http://printers.necsam.com/public/pr...es/ipcl5hp.htm

Bob Eager

On Tue, 25 May 2004 21:41:40 UTC, Kalico wrote:

Does anyone know of a newsgroup, forum or similar that might be able
to point me in the right direction.

comp.periphs.printers

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:41:40 +0100, Kalico wrote:

I am desperate to get the control codes for a Samsung printer.
Samsung don't seem to want to help and I really need to print from
an old DOS app.

Is this a windows printer or a real one?

Most(all?) real printers will do something sensible if fed plain
ASCII, like print the character...

Are you running this old DOS application under windoze or DOS?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Kalico

On Wed, 26 May 2004 00:31:46 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:41:40 +0100, Kalico wrote:

I am desperate to get the control codes for a Samsung printer.
Samsung don't seem to want to help and I really need to print from
an old DOS app.

Is this a windows printer or a real one?

Most(all?) real printers will do something sensible if fed plain
ASCII, like print the character...

Are you running this old DOS application under windoze or DOS?

I am running it under Windoze but can feed it codes directly.

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 26 May 2004 01:32:49 +0100, Kalico wrote:

I am running it under Windoze but can feed it codes directly.

So what doesn't it do that you would like it to do?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Kalico

On Wed, 26 May 2004 08:05:28 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2004 01:32:49 +0100, Kalico wrote:

I am running it under Windoze but can feed it codes directly.

So what doesn't it do that you would like it to do?

Print at all from the old DOS app.

Obviously, the printer needs some codes to be send before the actual
data. Or it could be that the Windows driver would normally generate
the whole bitmap image to pass to the printer, in which case I'm
stuffed.

I think the easiest solution is going to be to get an old inkjet
printer just for this app!

Thanks for your help.
Rob

Jeremy Collins

Kalico wrote:

Print at all from the old DOS app.

Obviously, the printer needs some codes to be send before the actual
data. Or it could be that the Windows driver would normally generate
the whole bitmap image to pass to the printer, in which case I'm
stuffed.

I think the easiest solution is going to be to get an old inkjet
printer just for this app!

What's the DOS application? Most printers will handle the Windows
"plain text" driver, and you can usually fall back on
c:\copy report.dat prn:
under DOS...

--
jc

Remove the -not from email
Kalico

On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:00:47 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Kalico" wrote in message
.. .
Sorry to post off-topic but I know many here work in IT.

I am desperate to get the control codes for a Samsung printer.
Samsung don't seem to want to help and I really need to print from an
old DOS app.

Does anyone know of a newsgroup, forum or similar that might be able
to point me in the right direction.

Thanks as always.
Rob

I think you should find some help and some driver software he

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Prin...iver/index.htm (watch
out for line wrap)

There is also a program called "DOS Print" that might help after you get the
proper driver software.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Thanks for that. Is the DOS print program from Samsung?

If not, do you know a source for it?

Rob

Tony Bryer

In article , Kalico wrote:
Sorry to post off-topic but I know many here work in IT.

I am desperate to get the control codes for a Samsung printer.
Samsung don't seem to want to help and I really need to print from an
old DOS app.

Is it a dot matrix or laser printer? If the former, it may well use the
Epson FX command set - see
http://www.lprng.com/DISTRIB/RESOURCES/PPD/epson.htm

For a laser PCL is most likely - I see you've been given a source

BigWallop

"Kalico" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:00:47 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Kalico" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You can try he

http://www.dosprint.com/

or he

http://www.geocities.com/DOSPrint/

Set Square

wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2004 01:32:49 +0100, Kalico wrote:

I am running it under Windoze but can feed it codes directly.

So what doesn't it do that you would like it to do?

Print at all from the old DOS app.

Obviously, the printer needs some codes to be send before the actual
data. Or it could be that the Windows driver would normally generate
the whole bitmap image to pass to the printer, in which case I'm
stuffed.

I think the easiest solution is going to be to get an old inkjet
printer just for this app!

Thanks for your help.
Rob

When you install a printer in Windows, the setup dialogue usually asks
whether you want to be able to print from DOS applications. If you answer
"yes", it presumably loads some additional software.

Have you tried deleting and re-installing your printer, and answering Yes to
this question?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Tony Bryer

In article , Kalico wrote:
So what doesn't it do that you would like it to do?

Print at all from the old DOS app.

Some printers, inkjets especially, won't. Period

Others will, if you open up a DOS window and start the DOS program from
within the window rather than running it directly

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 26 May 2004 14:05:40 +0100, Tony Bryer wrote:

Some printers, inkjets especially, won't. Period

"Win" printers ceratinly. All printers I've ever owned respond
sensibly to pure ASCII, well apart from the teleprinters that is...

Maybe it would help if the OP posted the model number of this Samsung
jobbie...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 26 May 2004 09:58:28 +0100, Kalico wrote:

So what doesn't it do that you would like it to do?

Print at all from the old DOS app.

Obviously, the printer needs some codes to be send before the actual
data.

Normally only if you want to switch it into a different mode other
than printing plain ASCII.

Or it could be that the Windows driver would normally generate
the whole bitmap image to pass to the printer, in which case I'm
stuffed.

Quite. What model Smasung printer is it? Or is there any mention of it
being a "win printer" on their site.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Bob Eager

On Wed, 26 May 2004 15:28:45 UTC, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2004 14:05:40 +0100, Tony Bryer wrote:

Some printers, inkjets especially, won't. Period

"Win" printers ceratinly. All printers I've ever owned respond
sensibly to pure ASCII, well apart from the teleprinters that is...

Then you've never used a PostScript printer!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Kalico

On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:40:04 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Kalico" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:00:47 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Kalico" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for that. I've actually managed to get sorted with
acombination of a program called DOSprinter (not DOSprint, which
although good did not quite solve it) and a neat registry edit.

The DOSprinter program emulates Epson codes and the registry edit has
allowed a type of capture of the port.

Anyway, I have a solution so thanks for pointing me in the right
direction.

Rob

Kalico

On Wed, 26 May 2004 16:35:43 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2004 09:58:28 +0100, Kalico wrote:

So what doesn't it do that you would like it to do?

Print at all from the old DOS app.

Obviously, the printer needs some codes to be send before the actual
data.

Normally only if you want to switch it into a different mode other
than printing plain ASCII.

Or it could be that the Windows driver would normally generate
the whole bitmap image to pass to the printer, in which case I'm
stuffed.

Quite. What model Smasung printer is it? Or is there any mention of it
being a "win printer" on their site.

Thanks to all who've given advice.

The printer is an ML-1210 and will not,according to Samsung, print any
DOS stuff at all. In fact, they were quite suprised when I told them
how I have managed to solve it.

I've actually managed to get sorted with acombination of a program
called DOSprinter (not DOSprint, which although good did not quite
solve it) and a neat registry edit.

The DOSprinter program emulates Epson codes and the registry edit has
allowed a type of capture of the port.

Anyway, I have a solution so thanks to you all for pointing me in the
right direction.

Rob