DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fitting a vent in soffit (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/89163-fitting-vent-soffit.html)

David Pye January 31st 05 09:39 PM

Fitting a vent in soffit

Hi group,

I've got a 1989-built house, which has ventilated soffits, made of a white
board-like material, with small shiny crystalline bits visible in.

The vents are slots with mesh over, but I want to fit a round plastic grille
for a bathroom extractor fan. I've read some of the archives, which
mention cryolite asbestos cement soffit boards - were these still likely to
be fitted in 1989? Some people seem to think gypsum boards are hard to
distinguish from the asbestos ones.

I suppose what I'm asking is:

a) As they were put up in '89, are they likely to be asbestos cement ones?
If it's possible that they are, any way to confirm?

b) If it's asbestos, can I carefully drill a small hole, and go round it
with a saw blade, to make my cutout (~135mm) without too high a risk?

Cheers,

David

Mike January 31st 05 11:33 PM

"David Pye" wrote in message
Hi group,

I've got a 1989-built house, which has ventilated soffits, made of a white
board-like material, with small shiny crystalline bits visible in.

The vents are slots with mesh over, but I want to fit a round plastic

grille
for a bathroom extractor fan. I've read some of the archives, which
mention cryolite asbestos cement soffit boards - were these still likely

be fitted in 1989? Some people seem to think gypsum boards are hard to
distinguish from the asbestos ones.

I suppose what I'm asking is:

a) As they were put up in '89, are they likely to be asbestos cement ones?

Unlikely. They would have been illegal for over five years at that point

[email protected] February 1st 05 02:08 PM

Hi,

Mike wrote:
snip
a) As they were put up in '89, are they likely to be asbestos

cement ones?

Unlikely. They would have been illegal for over five years at that

point

That works for me. I shall cut my hole then :)

David