G Cook

Default Fitting wardrobes and carpet

Hi,
This might be a dumb question but I cannot find the answer anywhere. I am
planning to fit wardrobes. Do they stand on the floorboards and the carpet
butts up to them or do they sit on the carpet?

tarquinlinbin

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:47:20 -0000, "G Cook"
wrote:

Hi,
This might be a dumb question but I cannot find the answer anywhere. I am
planning to fit wardrobes. Do they stand on the floorboards and the carpet
butts up to them or do they sit on the carpet?

I would tend to have the wardrobes on the floor and the carpet butting
up to them,,makes a more level/accurate/unyielding base surface
Bob Mannix

"G Cook" wrote in message
Hi,
This might be a dumb question but I cannot find the answer anywhere. I am
planning to fit wardrobes. Do they stand on the floorboards and the carpet
butts up to them or do they sit on the carpet?

The former, preferably, as you will probably need to adjust with
feet/packing in places to get dead level. If they are fitted wardrobes with,
say, one exposed end panel and a clip on plinth piece (like in a kitchen),
it's better to lay the carpet to butt the end piece and underneath the front
a bit. The plinth bit can then be trimmed to fit over the carpet with no
gap. Well, that's how I did mine and haven't regretted it )

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Lobster

wrote:

This might be a dumb question but I cannot find the answer anywhere. I am
planning to fit wardrobes. Do they stand on the floorboards and the carpet
butts up to them or do they sit on the carpet?

I would tend to have the wardrobes on the floor and the carpet butting
up to them,,makes a more level/accurate/unyielding base surface

You also want to consider, is your wardrobe likely to outlive the
carpet? If so, it would be a bit of a mess having the old carpet
underneath the wardrobe fittings; you'd have to dismantle and rebuild
the wardrobe to get it out, or leave it place and cut it flush with the
front.

Might end up a bit cheaper to carpet the room, as the effective floor
area would be less - you can still carpet inside the wardrobe but
there's often offcuts which can be used for that.

David