Michael Mcneil

Default Waterproof boards and etc.

I just came accross this posted in rec.woodworking:
http://oikos.com/products/wood-plastics/isobord/
"Isobord is a premium engineered board product made from straw fibers
and non-toxic resins."
"The price usually falls between particleboard and MDF."

It's a long way from weaving your own stuff from reeds and willow
withies to modern day oil tempered hardboards and etc., one wonders how
long it will be before the circle turns fully and we start using home
grown reeds etc to make our own compressed material in beams and the
like.

I doubt such a thing would go down well with most of the modern building
factors as they have almost completely turned the building ethos of
"using local materials" on its head.

Mind you having lived in Stoke on Trent for the last few years, I am not
blind to the fact that even clay was imported at (initially) great
expense -overland too, for the sake of an ancient and fairly low paying
trade.

Aye and nowadays although we sit on a mountain laid on coal, it is
cheaper and easier and far healthier to import oil from quarter of the
way around the world too. Hush my mouth then...