DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bare brick internal wall: paper or emulsion? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/88607-bare-brick-internal-wall-paper-emulsion.html)

[email protected] January 28th 05 09:15 AM

Bare brick internal wall: paper or emulsion?

In my kitchen, tucked away out of sight at the side of the washing
machine, there is a 3ft by 2ft patch of bare brick, no plaster.

* As a quick fix, will wallpaper stick to bare brick?
* Failing this, would bog standard internal white emulsion be an
option? Or would the brick absorb it and cause it to flake off?

Bruce

John Rumm January 28th 05 09:32 AM

wrote:

In my kitchen, tucked away out of sight at the side of the washing
machine, there is a 3ft by 2ft patch of bare brick, no plaster.

* As a quick fix, will wallpaper stick to bare brick?
* Failing this, would bog standard internal white emulsion be an
option? Or would the brick absorb it and cause it to flake off?

Masonry paint would be your best bet. (a 75p sample pot ought to just
about cover it).

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

Dave Jones January 28th 05 09:43 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
In my kitchen, tucked away out of sight at the side of the washing
machine, there is a 3ft by 2ft patch of bare brick, no plaster.

* As a quick fix, will wallpaper stick to bare brick?
* Failing this, would bog standard internal white emulsion be an
option? Or would the brick absorb it and cause it to flake off?

Bruce

Cover it with a bit of plasterboard

[email protected] January 28th 05 10:19 AM

Cover it with a bit of plasterboard

Sorry, Dave. Too expensive. And too time-consuming. It's taken me a
week to steam the painted wallpaper off the kitchen walls. I'm in the
statte of mind where I'm fed up with all the mess and want to start
redecorating straight away!

Bruce

[email protected] January 28th 05 10:20 AM

(a 75p sample pot ought to just about cover it).

Good idea!

Bruce

Christian McArdle January 28th 05 10:55 AM

In my kitchen, tucked away out of sight at the side of the washing
machine, there is a 3ft by 2ft patch of bare brick, no plaster.

Try plaster. Even the dodgiest amateur plastering would look better than
sticking wallpaper onto brick!

Buy a bag of one coat for 5 quid and a trowel and give it a go. You can't
make it worse. Even my pathetic plastering skills could manage a patch that
size, especially in a less visible location.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher January 28th 05 12:48 PM

wrote:

Cover it with a bit of plasterboard

Sorry, Dave. Too expensive. And too time-consuming. It's taken me a
week to steam the painted wallpaper off the kitchen walls. I'm in the
statte of mind where I'm fed up with all the mess and want to start
redecorating straight away!

You have toi be kidding right? Nothing is cheaper thanplasterboard.

Don't even biother to nail it up - use one of thoe nailles glues things.

Thenget a tube of decorators caulk and use it to tidy up the edges, and
then just paint the lot.

Bruce

[email protected] January 28th 05 11:27 PM

In my kitchen, tucked away out of sight at the side of the washing
machine, there is a 3ft by 2ft patch of bare brick, no plaster.

* As a quick fix, will wallpaper stick to bare brick?

ha ha

* Failing this, would bog standard internal white emulsion be an
option?

Sure. It'll look like sh1t of course, much worse than bare brick, as
will all the options mentiond so far except plastering or PBing it.