T i m

Default A good drop of Malt?

Hi All,

So, for cleaning / removing calcium, is there any difference (apart
from the smell / cost) between malt and white vinegar please?

All the best ..

T i m

brugnospamsia

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

So, for cleaning / removing calcium, is there any difference (apart
from the smell / cost) between malt and white vinegar please?

What you want is "non-brewed condiment" that has more acetic acid in it than
straight forward "gone off wine" like yer high class balsamics etc ...
I buy gallon cans of non-brewed pickling vinegar to use in the loo - I won't
use anything else.

As to whether either will shift "calcium", I'd guess you mean calcium salt
deposits - the _metal_ calcium will shift in a fairly dramatic way simply
when added to water - releasing explosive hydrogen as it does ...a classic
gee wizz science demo - I believe Adam Hart-Davis did it on telly recently

I'm trying to remember the name of the cleaning product advertised on TV at
the moment that claims to shift calcium ....

Markus Splenius

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:44:16 GMT, "brugnospamsia"
wrote:

As to whether either will shift "calcium", I'd guess you mean calcium salt
deposits - the _metal_ calcium will shift in a fairly dramatic way simply
when added to water - releasing explosive hydrogen as it does ...a classic
gee wizz science demo - I believe Adam Hart-Davis did it on telly recently

I've never done it with Calcium, but I would say Potassium would be
better!

M.
T i m

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:44:16 GMT, "brugnospamsia"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

So, for cleaning / removing calcium, is there any difference (apart
from the smell / cost) between malt and white vinegar please?

What you want is "non-brewed condiment" that has more acetic acid in it than
straight forward "gone off wine" like yer high class balsamics etc ...
I buy gallon cans of non-brewed pickling vinegar to use in the loo - I won't
use anything else.

Hmm, I saw 'pickling vinegar' in the supermarket but it was over twice
the price of the Malt so I left it. I think Mum may be able to get me
some of the stuff you mention by from one of the bigger 'sheds' by the
gallon.

As to whether either will shift "calcium", I'd guess you mean calcium salt
deposits

I do ;-)

- the _metal_ calcium will shift in a fairly dramatic way simply
when added to water - releasing explosive hydrogen as it does ...a classic
gee wizz science demo - I believe Adam Hart-Davis did it on telly recently

I'm trying to remember the name of the cleaning product advertised on TV at
the moment that claims to shift calcium ....

Not that new 'Cillit bang' ? (I wonder who thought that name up?)

All the best ..

T i m
mike ring

Markus Splenius wrote in
:

the _metal_ calcium will shift in a fairly dramatic
way simply when added to water - releasing explosive hydrogen as it
does ...a classic gee wizz science demo - I believe Adam Hart-Davis
did it on telly recently

I've never done it with Calcium, but I would say Potassium would be
better!

M.

We useta do it with sodium;

mike

Markus Splenius

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:18:50 GMT, T i m wrote:

Not that new 'Cillit bang' ? (I wonder who thought that name up?)

Is that how a stutterer says it? Should the first word have only one
syllable? :-))))

Christopher Key

wrote:

As to whether either will shift "calcium", I'd guess you mean
calcium salt deposits - the _metal_ calcium will shift in a fairly
dramatic way simply when added to water - releasing explosive
hydrogen as it does ...a classic gee wizz science demo - I believe
Adam Hart-Davis did it on telly recently

I've never done it with Calcium, but I would say Potassium would be
better!

Always wanted to see it done with Caesium. Our chemistry teacher mentioned
a video showing the reactions resulting going from Lithium to Caesium, but
I've never managed to find a copy.

Chris Key

Markus Splenius

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:30:05 -0000, "Christopher Key"
wrote:

Always wanted to see it done with Caesium. Our chemistry teacher mentioned
a video showing the reactions resulting going from Lithium to Caesium, but
I've never managed to find a copy.

Yes I saw that video! :-)

The caesium was introduced using a long pole! And the reaction was
violent indeed.

You won't get caesium for home use unless of course Grunff knows
different. A nice alternative is to introduce a teaspoon of water into
a flaming chip pan.

DO NOT DO THIS INDOORS! BETTER STILL, DO NOT DO IT AT ALL! I RECOMMEND
A MINIMUM 10 METRES AWAY FROM THE BODY AS THIS CREATES A FIREBALL OF
BURNING FAT.

M.

dmc

In article ,
T i m wrote:

Not that new 'Cillit bang' ? (I wonder who thought that name up?)

Yeah, It's Cillit Bang that goes on about Calcium.

"Limescale is calcium that sticks" errrrr....yes.....

Darren

john

"dmc" wrote in message ...
In article ,
T i m wrote:

Not that new 'Cillit bang' ? (I wonder who thought that name up?)

Yeah, It's Cillit Bang that goes on about Calcium.

"Limescale is calcium that sticks" errrrr....yes.....

Darren

Try Waitrose toilet cleaner. Claims to be dilute hydrochloric acid.

john

Should have clarified: "Toilet descaler" rather than "cleaner". Certainly
cleans up lime on shower trays.

Morten

"john" wrote in message

"dmc" wrote in message

In article ,
T i m wrote:

Not that new 'Cillit bang' ? (I wonder who thought that name up?)

Yeah, It's Cillit Bang that goes on about Calcium.

"Limescale is calcium that sticks" errrrr....yes.....

Darren

Try Waitrose toilet cleaner. Claims to be dilute hydrochloric acid.

Nahhh, just go down to B&Q, TP or whoever you fancy and get some Brick Acid,
that's 30% HCl, that will take the lime scale very quickly indeed...

/Morten

---

Christopher Key

Peter Ramm wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:30:05 -0000, "Christopher Key"
wrote:

snip
Always wanted to see it done with Caesium. Our chemistry teacher
mentioned a video showing the reactions resulting going from Lithium
to Caesium, but I've never managed to find a copy.

Chris Key

Have a look at
http://www.seilnacht.com/film/englis...#Alkalimetalle

Caesium is a bit tame - sodium not bad !!

Thanks for that, I enjoyed those!!!

Chris Key

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
mike ring writes:
Markus Splenius wrote in
:

the _metal_ calcium will shift in a fairly dramatic
way simply when added to water - releasing explosive hydrogen as it
does ...a classic gee wizz science demo - I believe Adam Hart-Davis
did it on telly recently

I've never done it with Calcium, but I would say Potassium would be
better!

We useta do it with sodium;

Yes, I was allowed to drop a sizable lump of sodium into medium
conc hydrochloric acid when I was at school. The text books all
said not to do this. The condition was that I designed a remote
control system to the chemistry teacher's satisfaction which did
this in the middle of the football pitch whilst we controlled
and watched this from the science block. An electromagnet drop
mechanism was designed to release a lump of sodium. The acid was
poured into a large tin (had to work fast before it dissolved
through that) which in turn sat in a large washing up bowl with
water in it. Dropped the sodium in. At first there was some
fizzing and the odd spark coming out. After perhaps 10 seconds,
it turned into a roman candle sending a continuous shower of
sparks about 3' into the air. After perhaps another 10 or 20
seconds, it exploded with a flame shooting some 20-30' into the
air.

Afterwards, there was no acid left in the tin and it was bobbing
on the surface of the water, so the explosion presumably blew it
all out. We dosed the area in sodium hydrogen carbonate to
neutralise any acid left.

Analysing it all afterwards, we decided the following sequence
of events happened...
Initially, the lump of sodium was floating on the surface and
the area in contact was reacting with the acid. Some of the
surface of the sodium may have still been protected by the oil
it is stored in, although we had wiped off as much as we could.
After the first 10 seconds, the sodium melted, probably pooling
out over the HCl surface making much better contact and reacting
more vigerously. The explosion happened when the sodium vapourised,
probably mixing with the HCl vapour/spray allowing for extremely
rapid reaction, and the blast emptied the tin of HCl.

I bet school kids don't get the opportunity to learn anything
like this nowadays. This encompassed designing some remote
control, performing an experiment which even the teachers didn't
know what was going to happen, and then sitting down afterwards
and analysing the results, trying to come up with a plausable
explanation to fit the observations.

--
Andrew Gabriel
nog

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:44:16 GMT, brugnospamsia wrote:

I buy gallon cans of non-brewed pickling vinegar to use in the loo - I won't
use anything else.

Toilet paper might not sting quite so much. ;-)

*** Rec.Woodworking Mini-FAQ *** 149, BAD Free David F. Eisan Woodworking 26 June 4th 04 04:36 AM
Unisaw restoration project: good idea or money pit? Heath Roberts Woodworking 21 December 3rd 03 11:57 PM
Finishing question - pin holes in second coat Bay Area Dave Woodworking 6 November 23rd 03 03:43 PM
Good versus Evil Genome Woodworking 8 October 19th 03 02:22 AM
Design - Cultural Factors charlieb Woodworking 4 July 28th 03 07:51 PM