DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   RIP DIY - longish rant (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/8843-rip-diy-longish-rant.html)

Mary Fisher May 24th 04 10:03 AM

RIP DIY - longish rant

wrote in message ...
Mary Fisher wrote:

.... and I *WISH* you'd limit your postings to less than 80 columns,
they are a right mess when wrapped to fit (and, yes, there is an RFC
which recommends 80 columns or less, it's not just my whim).

You don't have to open his posts ...

Or mine.

Mary

As it turned out it was an error/oversight in his configuration and
he was pleased to have been told. I could possibly have been a bit
gentler about pointing it out though.

You've exonerated yourself :-)

It takes a strong person to admit a fault.

The RFCs and netiquette recommendations do have a purpose and while
I'm not pedantic about them I do try and comply with them and do also
ask others to if the ignore them consistently.

RFC?

We're all learning, all the time.

Mary

--
Chris Green

Andy Hall May 24th 04 10:39 AM

RIP DIY - longish rant

On Mon, 24 May 2004 10:03:54 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
Mary Fisher wrote:

.... and I *WISH* you'd limit your postings to less than 80 columns,
they are a right mess when wrapped to fit (and, yes, there is an RFC
which recommends 80 columns or less, it's not just my whim).

You don't have to open his posts ...

Or mine.

Mary

As it turned out it was an error/oversight in his configuration and
he was pleased to have been told. I could possibly have been a bit
gentler about pointing it out though.

You've exonerated yourself :-)

It takes a strong person to admit a fault.

The RFCs and netiquette recommendations do have a purpose and while
I'm not pedantic about them I do try and comply with them and do also
ask others to if the ignore them consistently.

RFC?

Request for Comment.

Part of the process of defining standards used for the Internet.

We're all learning, all the time.

Mary

--
Chris Green

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mary Fisher May 24th 04 11:16 AM

RIP DIY - longish rant

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

RFC?

Request for Comment.

Part of the process of defining standards used for the Internet.

Ah, thank you.

Mary

Phil May 24th 04 01:21 PM

RIP DIY - longish rant

I absolutely know where you're coming from. My gas fitters charged £40
to disconnect the hob, then two days later another £80 to connect the
new cooker. Total time spent: 30 minutes. The cooker itself only cost
£250. I believe the situation with tradespeople in the UK has become
dire, yet there will come a point when I am just too old to do it
myself and will have to rely on the cowboys. I can only hope that
before then some government will be in power to apply proper
regulations to the entire industry. That stupid programme on BBC where
the guy is driving arund the country in a bus by a driver who never
speaks is a total waste of a half-hour programming slot. The programme
is just making a bit of flippant "edutainment" and not addressing the
problems we all face anything like seriously enough.

MM

We got the idiot CORGI plumber from hell when we lived in London but
had a rented property in Newcastle. We called this loon to do a CP12
and he diagnosed that the pump was seized so I changed it. It
transpired that he did not realise that you need to turn the hall
thermostat on to make the pump run.
Fortunatly we had not paid for the CP12 and I told him that his money
had been used on a new pump. He declined to sue.

What really annoys me about this type of stupidity/dishonesty is that
I require a CP12 legally.

Still it was nice to turn the tables on him.
Moral I would not entertain getting in a CORGI person after this but
would rather do it myself.

PHIL

[email protected] May 24th 04 02:47 PM

RIP DIY - longish rant

Mary Fisher wrote:

The RFCs and netiquette recommendations do have a purpose and while
I'm not pedantic about them I do try and comply with them and do also
ask others to if the ignore them consistently.

RFC?

Request For Comment - these are the documents which define most
Internet standards, everything like SMTP (mail sending), POP3 (mail
receiving), NNTP (Usenet News), etc. has one or more RFCs defining
exactly how it works.

Just do a Google search for RFC and you'll find all you ever wanted to
know about how the internet works (and lots more).

--
Chris Green

Mary Fisher May 24th 04 03:34 PM

RIP DIY - longish rant

wrote in message ...
Mary Fisher wrote:

The RFCs and netiquette recommendations do have a purpose and while
I'm not pedantic about them I do try and comply with them and do also
ask others to if the ignore them consistently.

RFC?

Request For Comment - these are the documents which define most
Internet standards, everything like SMTP (mail sending), POP3 (mail
receiving), NNTP (Usenet News), etc. has one or more RFCs defining
exactly how it works.

Just do a Google search for RFC and you'll find all you ever wanted to
know about how the internet works (and lots more).

Until now I've known everything I wanted to know ... it's the things we
don't know that we want to know about which cause questions.

Mary
(aka Donald)

--
Chris Green

BigWallop May 24th 04 03:40 PM

RIP DIY - longish rant

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message ...
Mary Fisher wrote:

The RFCs and netiquette recommendations do have a purpose and while
I'm not pedantic about them I do try and comply with them and do also
ask others to if the ignore them consistently.

RFC?

Request For Comment - these are the documents which define most
Internet standards, everything like SMTP (mail sending), POP3 (mail
receiving), NNTP (Usenet News), etc. has one or more RFCs defining
exactly how it works.

Just do a Google search for RFC and you'll find all you ever wanted to
know about how the internet works (and lots more).

Until now I've known everything I wanted to know ... it's the things we
don't know that we want to know about which cause questions.

Mary
(aka Donald)

Yeah ! That make sense. But what about the things you did know that you wanted
know. They also cause questions.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Andy Hall May 24th 04 03:48 PM

RIP DIY - longish rant

On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:34:53 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
Mary Fisher wrote:

The RFCs and netiquette recommendations do have a purpose and while
I'm not pedantic about them I do try and comply with them and do also
ask others to if the ignore them consistently.

RFC?

Request For Comment - these are the documents which define most
Internet standards, everything like SMTP (mail sending), POP3 (mail
receiving), NNTP (Usenet News), etc. has one or more RFCs defining
exactly how it works.

Just do a Google search for RFC and you'll find all you ever wanted to
know about how the internet works (and lots more).

Until now I've known everything I wanted to know ... it's the things we
don't know that we want to know about which cause questions.

Mary
(aka Donald)

You probably don't want to know about all this stuff, although RFCs
are a good cure for insomnia.

Mary Fisher May 24th 04 05:12 PM

RIP DIY - longish rant

wrote in message

Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

Oh, that's easy. I just ask about them.

Like RFC :-)

Mary

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Mary Fisher May 24th 04 05:12 PM

RIP DIY - longish rant

wrote:

wrote in message ...
Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

Bugger. I don't suffer from that ...

Mary

[email protected] May 24th 04 06:44 PM

RIP DIY - longish rant

In uk.d-i-y, Andy Hall wrote:

Price fixing is illegal anyway.......

True-but: MoT tests show one model: there's a fixed upper charge, but
garages can choose to charge less to bring in business (and, in practice,
get the punter to spend their fix-it money at the same place).

Not that I don't think Part P is anything other than a move against
the black economy, shamelessly disguised as a "safety" move - the latter
given the lie by the stats you yourself dug up...

Stefek

The Natural Philosopher May 24th 04 10:35 PM

RIP DIY - longish rant

Mary Fisher wrote:

I'm sure that's true. I'm sure it's also true of appliances, vehicles and
(especially) humans. Who hereabouts has the perfect body - because s/he
looks after it as we're all advised so that our lives are happier and
prolonged?

How dull it would be to have no scars.

I'd rather have a somewehat shorter and more interesting life, frankly...

Mary

jacob May 25th 04 05:27 PM

RIP DIY - longish rant

Mary Fisher wrote:

I'm sure that's true. I'm sure it's also true of appliances, vehicles and
(especially) humans. Who hereabouts has the perfect body - because s/he
looks after it as we're all advised so that our lives are happier and
prolonged?

The Natural Philosopher wrote

How dull it would be to have no scars.

I'd rather have a somewehat shorter and more interesting life, frankly...

Would this mean having a shorter but more interesting body?

Jacob

RichardS May 25th 04 06:34 PM

RIP DIY - longish rant

"jacob" wrote in message
om...
Mary Fisher wrote:

I'm sure that's true. I'm sure it's also true of appliances, vehicles

and
(especially) humans. Who hereabouts has the perfect body - because

s/he
looks after it as we're all advised so that our lives are happier and
prolonged?

The Natural Philosopher wrote

How dull it would be to have no scars.

I'd rather have a somewehat shorter and more interesting life,

frankly...

Would this mean having a shorter but more interesting body?

Hmmm.

It's not so much the length, but what you do with it.

Still, a short, sad one is in no-one's interests...

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk