Member

Default Kitchen coverup

Hi

I'm thinking of painting my existing Kitchen cupboards which are currently a dark pine colour.

Just three questions this time (??!!) please......
1. Do I need to use a knotting solution on the knots in the wood
2. What pint shoudl I use and do I need to sand , prime and then paint
3. Am i mad to do this - are the results good or does it usually look like a botch job
The only other alternative as far as my finances are concerend is to get replacement doors...but what with cornices, trims etc etc - even this is expensive.

Be grateful for any advice

Alex
chris French

In message , alexbartman
writes

Hi

I'm thinking of painting my existing Kitchen cupboards which are
currently a dark pine colour.

We painted the old '60's melamine faced doors in our kitchen, it was a
success I think and has worn well.

Just three questions this time (??!!) please......
1. Do I need to use a knotting solution on the knots in the wood

Possibly not, but if you don't and some of them stain your new paintwork
how ****ed off will you be compared to the effort required to apply the
knotting....

2. What pint shoudl I use

Depends on the finish you want, personally I don't like high gloss in
this situation, we used Dulux Satinwood, which is an 'oil-based' mid
sheen finish, for a 'flattter' finish you could use an Eggshell finish.

and do I need to sand , prime and then paint

As they say preparation is the key, how good finish do you want?

I assume they are vanished/stained or similar? I tend to use Acrylic
primer/undercoats a lot now anyway , so I would sand well (how well
depends on the state of the existing surface, and smoothness of the
timber. A couple of coats Primer/undercoat, and then topcoat - just like
any other wood workwork really. It's worth denibbing with fine wet and
dry in between coats on large areas like this.

3. Am i mad to do this - are the results good or does it usually look
like a botch job

The results are in your hands, the results can certainly look good,
we've had plenty of compliments about ours.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Cuprager

Snip

The results are in your hands, the results can certainly look good,
we've had plenty of compliments about ours.

Chris has obviously spent the time and done his properly so it looks
good. The other end of the scale however is what I have in my kitchen!
Not done by myself but aquired from the previous owner of the place...
no prep was done and the paint-job was poor, resulting in loads of runs,
sagging and showing knots etc... Needless to say its getting ripped out
and replaced in the spring! The bathroom tiles had also been painted...
with the same results. That room has now been gutted though!

Gerry
andrewpreece

"alexbartman" wrote in message

Hi

I'm thinking of painting my existing Kitchen cupboards which are
currently a dark pine colour.

Just three questions this time (??!!) please......
1. Do I need to use a knotting solution on the knots in the wood
2. What pint shoudl I use and do I need to sand , prime and then paint
3. Am i mad to do this - are the results good or does it usually look
like a botch job
The only other alternative as far as my finances are concerend is to
get replacement doors...but what with cornices, trims etc etc - even
this is expensive.

How old are these pine cupboards? Only, I'm thinking that if they haven't
oozed resin from
knots yet then they never will. In my experience of using pine, I've never
had an problem with
knots unless they are in direct sunshine. Usually then it's outdoors work
that is a problem. Still,
knotting's not a big deal, so do it anyway if you like.

Andy.

I'm thinking of painting my existing Kitchen cupboards which are
currently a dark pine colour.

This used to be a popular way to treat old wood cabs decades back, and
frankly it never looks too good.

Liming the pine would give you a quality style of finish, rather than a
seriously cheapskate coverup.

NT

Damp/Mould in kitchen Colin E. UK diy 1 September 20th 04 12:11 PM
Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,CabinetVision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2 CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] (Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2 FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProjectExpress v4S), Big Hammer Do It Yourself (De TEL Home Ownership 0 February 6th 04 03:29 PM
Celebrity Kitchen Design? Michelle Woodworking 9 December 8th 03 05:50 PM
Planit Millennium II [2 CDs] new !, and other Kitchen Design 3D programscheap software for fitted kitchen design (¯`·...ø¤°`°¤TEL4 ¤°`°¤....·´¯)tel2003@pathfinder. Woodworking 1 October 6th 03 02:22 PM
Planit Millennium II [2 CDs] new !, and other Kitchen Design 3D programscheap software for fitted kitchen design (¯`·...ø¤°`°¤TEL4 ¤°`°¤....·´¯)tel2003@pathfinder. Woodworking 0 October 6th 03 08:08 AM