John

Default Mice & Air Bricks

My Sister In Law is CONVINCED she has mice and they are coming through the
airbricks!! No amount of reassurance from my Brother or myself will stop
her and she wants the airbricks blocked up. This is NOT an option
obviously, so she is asking us about putting some sort of grids over them.
They live in quite a large bungalow and there are approx 30 airbricks. They
are the 'standard' type i.e. same size as a brick and with two rows of small
square holes. Can we do this without any detriment to the airflow and if so
what is the best size of mesh to use so as to stop the 'mice' and still
allow airflow. By the way my Brother has mentioned divorce may be an
option!

Cheers

John

Peter Stockdale

"John" wrote in message
My Sister In Law is CONVINCED she has mice and they are coming through the
airbricks!! No amount of reassurance from my Brother or myself will stop
her and she wants the airbricks blocked up. This is NOT an option
obviously, so she is asking us about putting some sort of grids over them.
They live in quite a large bungalow and there are approx 30 airbricks.
They are the 'standard' type i.e. same size as a brick and with two rows
of small square holes. Can we do this without any detriment to the
airflow and if so what is the best size of mesh to use so as to stop the
'mice' and still allow airflow. By the way my Brother has mentioned
divorce may be an option!

Cheers

John

You need to contact a kitchen utensil manufacturer to find out where he gets
his mesh from that is used for flour sieves and suchlike. Something like
0.2mm. Get some. Put this over each brick to avoid divorce. There will
negligible effect on airflow.
Obviously no mouse would be able to effect entry through airbrick size holes
anyway , so save time and effort by bolting the doors when she is out !!!

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Mary Fisher

"Peter Stockdale" wrote in message

Obviously no mouse would be able to effect entry through airbrick size
holes

Well, I disgree ... they can.

Get some expanded aluminium and fix it round the air bricks. IF mice are
getting in through there it will stop them. It won't stop air circulation.

I've used it to prevent swarming bees from gaining access to cavity walls.

Mary

Grunff

Peter Stockdale wrote:

Obviously no mouse would be able to effect entry through airbrick size holes
anyway , so save time and effort by bolting the doors when she is out !!!

Like hell they can't!

For the OP - you need mesh, like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=76498&ts=94780

--
Grunff
James

I used the soffit mesh linked below to cover up my air bricks, as I was
having a problem with wasps wanting to live under my house. Although I did
find it was not quite wide enough, so I bent the longer edges of two cut
pieces together, and flattened the join with a hammer. Thus I made a piece
about twice as wide as the original. I then fixed it over each vent with 6
screws evenly placed to try to stop things bending the mesh and making gaps
to still get in. Not that a wasp is likely to be strong enough to bend it,
but something else might be.
I did have some concerns about it restriciting air flow, and I'm sure it may
have a very minor effect if looked at from a scientific view. It made me
wonder why air bricks do not come with mesh already, perhaps fitted on the
inside when the house was built?

James

"Grunff" wrote in message
Peter Stockdale wrote:

Obviously no mouse would be able to effect entry through airbrick size

holes
anyway , so save time and effort by bolting the doors when she is out

!!!

Like hell they can't!

For the OP - you need mesh, like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=76498&ts=94780

--
Grunff

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"James" writes:
I did have some concerns about it restriciting air flow, and I'm sure it may
have a very minor effect if looked at from a scientific view. It made me
wonder why air bricks do not come with mesh already, perhaps fitted on the
inside when the house was built?

The finer the mesh, the more likely it is to get clogged over
time. When I fit airbricks, I use the plastic ones with clip
on grills. These have finer openings than in conventional
brick ones, but you can take them off and clean out the grills
and the airway through into the house. (Was also useful for
feeding copper pipes under the floor.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
nightjar

"John" wrote in message
My Sister In Law is CONVINCED she has mice and they are coming through the
airbricks!! No amount of reassurance from my Brother or myself will stop
her and she wants the airbricks blocked up. This is NOT an option
obviously, so she is asking us about putting some sort of grids over them.
They live in quite a large bungalow and there are approx 30 airbricks.
They are the 'standard' type i.e. same size as a brick and with two rows
of small square holes. Can we do this without any detriment to the
airflow and if so what is the best size of mesh to use so as to stop the
'mice' and still allow airflow. By the way my Brother has mentioned
divorce may be an option!

As a guide, if you can push an ordinary Bic biro though a hole, a mouse can
get through it. The answer used to be galvanised perforated metal, as used
on meat safes, but I expect expanded metal is easier to get these days.

Colin Bignell

Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
[...]

I have a roll of perforated galvanised AND a roll of perforated stainless
steel.

Offers?

Mary

Colin Bignell

Ian White

Mary Fisher wrote:
As a guide, if you can push an ordinary Bic biro though a hole, a mouse
can get through it. The answer used to be galvanised perforated metal, as
used on meat safes, but I expect expanded metal is easier to get these
days.

I have a roll of perforated galvanised AND a roll of perforated
stainless steel.

Offers?

Trade you 20 mice a metre.

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England
Mary Fisher

"Ian White" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
As a guide, if you can push an ordinary Bic biro though a hole, a mouse
can get through it. The answer used to be galvanised perforated metal,
as
used on meat safes, but I expect expanded metal is easier to get these
days.

I have a roll of perforated galvanised AND a roll of perforated stainless
steel.

Offers?

Trade you 20 mice a metre.

We can do our own mice, thanks.

But they're shorter than a metre ...

Mary

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England

nightjar

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Ian White" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
As a guide, if you can push an ordinary Bic biro though a hole, a mouse
can get through it. The answer used to be galvanised perforated metal,
as
used on meat safes, but I expect expanded metal is easier to get these
days.

I have a roll of perforated galvanised AND a roll of perforated stainless
steel.

Offers?

Trade you 20 mice a metre.

We can do our own mice, thanks.

But they're shorter than a metre ...

Mary

I think even my big tom cat would have trouble getting them in through the
cat flap if they were that big.

Colin Bignell

Cuprager

Snip

As a guide, if you can push an ordinary Bic biro though a hole, a mouse can
get through it. The answer used to be galvanised perforated metal, as used
on meat safes, but I expect expanded metal is easier to get these days.

Colin Bignell

A rentokill operative told me the same story about the Bic pen... so
holes in air bricks shouldnt present a problem for them.

Gerry
Peter Ashby

Cuprager wrote:

Snip

As a guide, if you can push an ordinary Bic biro though a hole, a mouse can
get through it. The answer used to be galvanised perforated metal, as used
on meat safes, but I expect expanded metal is easier to get these days.

Colin Bignell

A rentokill operative told me the same story about the Bic pen... so
holes in air bricks shouldnt present a problem for them.

If they fit their heads through they can get through, since mice on the
move are often young weanlings we are talking small heads here.

Peter

Stucco Gaps and Mice Henry Home Repair 4 September 2nd 04 04:29 AM
How to stick tiles on bricks that were faced with Portland cement Hiring Home Repair 2 August 30th 04 04:42 PM
Mice, Questions about D-Con and Traps McCoysWink Home Repair 3 October 27th 03 01:18 PM
Bricks above Patio door Tim Jenkins UK diy 2 October 7th 03 08:24 AM
Garage - thermal insulation of double bricks or "brick and block" Paul J S Green UK diy 6 September 16th 03 02:29 PM