Big Phil

Default Ventrolla

Has anyone else out there had their Sash windows restored by
Ventrolla?

I have just received a quote for £2,300 to restore 5 windows which
seems a bit steep to me! Although 3 of them are in a large bay and one
requries a new sill.

It wouldn't cost much more to have them all replaced with double
glazing! Although I'm in a conservation area so would prefer to
restore if economical.

Any advice if this is reasonable or not would be appreciated.

Thanks
Phil
BillV

"Big Phil" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone else out there had their Sash windows restored by
Ventrolla?

I have just received a quote for £2,300 to restore 5 windows which
seems a bit steep to me! Although 3 of them are in a large bay and one
requries a new sill.

It wouldn't cost much more to have them all replaced with double
glazing! Although I'm in a conservation area so would prefer to
restore if economical.

Any advice if this is reasonable or not would be appreciated.

Thanks
Phil

I don't know that company, but had quotes for restore/replace for a single
sash kitchen window in SW London. All said the window could not be
refurbished and cheapest quote for replacement was £1k, which we are going
with.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Big Phil wrote:
I have just received a quote for £2,300 to restore 5 windows which
seems a bit steep to me! Although 3 of them are in a large bay and one
requries a new sill.

It really depends on what needs replacing. If there's rot in one sill,
there'll probably be other parts that will need to be replaced, and
matching quality timber isn't cheap. If it really is a 'good as new'
restoration with added modern draught proofing etc - and perhaps double
glazed units - I'd say it's not a bad price.

It wouldn't cost much more to have them all replaced with double
glazing! Although I'm in a conservation area so would prefer to
restore if economical.

That's why people replace sash windows with 'double glazing'. It's cheap
and nasty. And you can bet your bottom dollar it won't last as long as
your original windows.

--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Christian McArdle

It wouldn't cost much more to have them all replaced with double
glazing!

Please don't. It is the cheap option, a bit like going for the Economy BSE
burgers at the supermarket instead of the Aberdeen Angus Sirloin.

Christian.

P.S. The quote isn't million miles from some similar work quoted for me by
the Original Box Sash Window Company. However, I'll probably do it all
myself. If you are also so inclined, then www.mighton.co.uk is your friend.

Andy

"Big Phil" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone else out there had their Sash windows restored by
Ventrolla?

I have just received a quote for £2,300 to restore 5 windows which
seems a bit steep to me! Although 3 of them are in a large bay and one
requries a new sill.

It wouldn't cost much more to have them all replaced with double
glazing! Although I'm in a conservation area so would prefer to
restore if economical.

Any advice if this is reasonable or not would be appreciated.

Thanks
Phil

I know two people who have had their windows restored by Ventrolla
(including Sash removal system & perimeter sealing) and both are very happy.
I would expect you could probably get a good local joiner to do it just as
well for less. Im very tempted to have a go myself.

As for double glazing - the reason it costs less is that it is an inferior
product - I doubt youll be allowed to replace them anyway living in a
conservation area.

Big Phil

P.S. The quote isn't million miles from some similar work quoted for me by
the Original Box Sash Window Company. However, I'll probably do it all
myself. If you are also so inclined, then www.mighton.co.uk is your friend.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll have a go on one of them myself
and see how it goes. Thanks for the web link too, looks like I can get
everything I need form there for a fraction of the price, although the
address seems to have moved to www.mighton.net now.
stuart noble

Big Phil wrote in message
. ..
P.S. The quote isn't million miles from some similar work quoted for me

by
the Original Box Sash Window Company. However, I'll probably do it all
myself. If you are also so inclined, then www.mighton.co.uk is your

friend.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll have a go on one of them myself
and see how it goes. Thanks for the web link too, looks like I can get
everything I need form there for a fraction of the price, although the
address seems to have moved to www.mighton.net now.

I've probably posted this before but the technique that worked for me was to
take the sashes out, turn them round, and pin them in position (you only
need a couple of nails in the box section to stop the top one coming down
and a couple in the front edge to stop the bottom one falling forwards).
Then you can do any filling, putty replacement etc from the inside, at your
leisure, and regardless of the weather.

Craig Graham

Big Phil wrote:
Has anyone else out there had their Sash windows restored by
Ventrolla?

I have just received a quote for £2,300 to restore 5 windows which
seems a bit steep to me! Although 3 of them are in a large bay and one
requries a new sill.

Depends how much restoration is needed. Our place had two sash windows left,
and we decided to keep them. Ventrolla charged about £1500 to build and fit
new double glazed windows in the existing frames and to restore and overhaul
everything so it all worked and there wasn't any rot left. So your 5 don't
seem too expensive in that context.

Having said that, this is several years ago and the windows still only have
the original undercoat on because I couldn't persuade them to paint them and
finish the job. Ideally I should take the windows out one at a time and
paint them in the garage, but that would mean the windows are out for a
couple of days and what you do with the big hole- one is a bedroom, one the
diningroom- is a problem. I can see why they end up getting painted closed
and I'm not sure if it was actually a good move since UPVC double glazing
would have been cheaper, wouldn't have given me this problem and from a
distance the UPVC windows at the front- when closed at least- look the same
as the real sash windows at the back of the house. I should really figure
out how to deal with them this summer since the paint is starting to degrade
in places and the things will start to rot if I leave it another couple of
years.

--
Dr. Craig Graham, Software Engineer
Advanced Analysis and Integration Limited, UK. http://www.aail.co.uk/

Christian McArdle

finish the job. Ideally I should take the windows out one at a time and
paint them in the garage, but that would mean the windows are out for a
couple of days and what you do with the big hole- one is a bedroom, one

the
diningroom- is a problem. I can see why they end up getting painted closed

Consider painting with something like Dulux Trade Weathershield Exterior
Quick Drying Satin (touch dry 1-2 hours). If you paint in the morning, you
could install by evening.

You would probably have time to get a layer of Dulux Trade Weathershield
Exterior Flexible Undercoat on as well. Recoat time 2-4 hours.

So, starting at 8am.

2 hours sanding/preparation/filling
4 hours undercoat + wait
2 hours topcoat + wait

That's 8 hours, achieved by 4 in the afternoon (with plenty of waiting time
to do other tasks/have lunch) and waiting as late as possible in the evening
to reinstall to give time for the film to harden.

Christian.

Craig Graham

Christian McArdle wrote:
So, starting at 8am.

2 hours sanding/preparation/filling
4 hours undercoat + wait
2 hours topcoat + wait

That's 8 hours, achieved by 4 in the afternoon (with plenty of
waiting time to do other tasks/have lunch) and waiting as late as
possible in the evening to reinstall to give time for the film to
harden.

That's fine for one side, but I'd like to paint the inner and edges, then
once dry turn the window over and paint the outer. To paint most of it in
one position leaving a bit of easy internal touching up, I considered
supporting the frame on the glass panes (four panes per window) so I can
paint nearly all the wood in one go- but I'm a bit worried about putting
load on the glass where it's not supposed to have load.

I'm thinking shutters may be an option; that way I can take the windows out,
close the shutters when needed and there's no difficulty with time. I've not
thought a great deal through this though. A pair of folding shutters on the
inside should fold up quite neatly against the window recess when not in use
and saves faffing about up a ladder. It also means the room can be made dark
pretty easily- useful with a little boy who rises with the sun

--
Dr. Craig Graham, Software Engineer
Advanced Analysis and Integration Limited, UK. http://www.aail.co.uk/

Christian McArdle

That's fine for one side, but I'd like to paint the inner and edges, then
once dry turn the window over and paint the outer.

Ah. I tend to use acrylics, which you can paint in a vertical position and,
thus, paint both sides. Your alkyd gloss paints do prefer a horizontal
orientation, though.

Even so, you could still paint both sides in a horizontal orientation during
one day using the paints I suggested. The layers are touch dry in about an
hour, so although you may not recoat them, you can carefully turn them over
to paint the other side after two hour's wait. It may leave some tiny marks,
but these can be dealt with easily enough, even after reinstallation.

Christian.