in2minds

Default basement/cellar again...

how to construct the floor in the cellar/basement...

I'm considering 2 options, both result in having a chipboard (can't
remember the proper name) floor, if only because of impact resistance
(as apposed to concrete) if a child falls over

the 2 methods I've found are...

#1...

chipboard
2 x 2 batons
vapour barrier
quilt type insulation (not sure what this is... anyone ?)
100mm concrete
DPM

chipboard flooring
vapour barrier
2" polystyrene
100mm concrete
DPM

what, in the groups opinion, would be the better option ?

bearing in mind this cellar has direct access, via a DG PVC door, into
the garden and a fully opening window.

thanks
LJ

chipboard flooring
vapour barrier
2" polystyrene
100mm concrete
DPM

what, in the groups opinion, would be the better option ?

bearing in mind this cellar has direct access, via a DG PVC door, into
the garden and a fully opening window.

thanks
LJ

Neither. 50mm of Kingspan or Celotex is a much better option than
either because it has 4x the insulating property for a given
thickness.

Please refer to other post. The walls should probably get some
attention as well. If you can post the details, we can do the sums.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Owain

"in2minds" wrote
| I'm considering 2 options, both result in having a chipboard
| (can't remember the proper name)

flooring grade chipboard?

| floor, if only because of impact resistance (as apposed to concrete)
| if a child falls over

I wouldn't worry; it's extremely unlikely a small child would chip or
otherwise damage concrete :-)

For child friendly flooring, I would suggest cork sheet. Also good for
insulation. I've dropped plates on cork tiled concrete, and the plate
bounced unbroken.

Owain

Frank Erskine

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:16:03 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"in2minds" wrote
| I'm considering 2 options, both result in having a chipboard
| (can't remember the proper name)

flooring grade chipboard?

Weyroc?

--