Gary

Default Help: Projecting Anchor Bolts

I've purchsed some projecting anchor bolts to enable me to put a heavy load
on a wall (TV to be precise).

As I'm a complete newbie at DIY I drilled the first 16mm hole this evening.
I then proceeded to put the anchor bolt into the hole. The problem I found
was that the thicker end of the anchor bolt would not go fully into the hole
and I ended up having to use a hammer to knock the bolt in. I'm certain this
can't be the right way. So was wondering if anyone could give me some advice
on how I'm supposed to install anchor bolts.

The type of bolt I'm talking about can be seen here.

Thanks for any help

Gary

paul

"Gary" wrote in message
k...
I've purchsed some projecting anchor bolts to enable me to put a heavy

load
on a wall (TV to be precise).

As I'm a complete newbie at DIY I drilled the first 16mm hole this

evening.
I then proceeded to put the anchor bolt into the hole. The problem I found
was that the thicker end of the anchor bolt would not go fully into the

hole
and I ended up having to use a hammer to knock the bolt in. I'm certain

this
can't be the right way. So was wondering if anyone could give me some

advice
on how I'm supposed to install anchor bolts.

The type of bolt I'm talking about can be seen here.

Thanks for any help

Gary

could be a couple of things but....

sometimes the hole will be filled with dust and bits of brick/plaster that
just restricts the bolt from going in, try running the drill for a few
seconds after you drill the hole and pull it in and out or use a hoover on
it.

Paul

Frank Erskine

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:05:24 -0000, "paul" wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Many years ago I bought a rubber bulb from Hilti for this very
purpose. It had a thinnish plastic pipe attached which you simply
poked in the hole and blew the swarf out.

Actually Rawlbolts are better than sleeve bolts inasmuch as you can
get away with a slightly larger hole than the nominal, since there's
quite a bit more expansion (and the walls are serrated to give a
better grip).

--
Frank Erskine
Ian White

Frank Erskine wrote:
sometimes the hole will be filled with dust and bits of brick/plaster that
just restricts the bolt from going in, try running the drill for a few
seconds after you drill the hole and pull it in and out or use a hoover on
it.

Many years ago I bought a rubber bulb from Hilti for this very purpose.
It had a thinnish plastic pipe attached which you simply poked in the
hole and blew the swarf out.

A large bendable drinking straw does the trick.

Large and bendable so the dust doesn't come right back at you... and
remember to blow, not suck.

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England
Colin Wilson

As I'm a complete newbie at DIY I drilled the first 16mm hole this evening.
I then proceeded to put the anchor bolt into the hole. The problem I found
was that the thicker end of the anchor bolt would not go fully into the hole
and I ended up having to use a hammer to knock the bolt in. I'm certain this
can't be the right way. So was wondering if anyone could give me some advice
on how I'm supposed to install anchor bolts.

You could always waggle the drill in the hole to open it out a little -
with this type of fixing it doesn`t really matter, as the fixing expands
almost indefinitely to fill the hole as the bolt acts on the cam that
forces out the wings.

You also get a little play on lining up the holes that way too :-}

Cicero

"Gary" wrote in message
k...
I've purchsed some projecting anchor bolts to enable me to put a heavy

load
on a wall (TV to be precise).

As I'm a complete newbie at DIY I drilled the first 16mm hole this

evening.
I then proceeded to put the anchor bolt into the hole. The problem I found
was that the thicker end of the anchor bolt would not go fully into the

hole
and I ended up having to use a hammer to knock the bolt in. I'm certain

this
can't be the right way. So was wondering if anyone could give me some

advice
on how I'm supposed to install anchor bolts.

The type of bolt I'm talking about can be seen here.

Thanks for any help

Gary

============
It's possible that the expanding part is already partly expanded. Make sure
that you slacken off the nut before inserting the bolt.

Cic.

Stefek Zaba

Gary wrote:
I've purchsed some projecting anchor bolts to enable me to put a heavy load
on a wall (TV to be precise).

As I'm a complete newbie at DIY I drilled the first 16mm hole this evening.
I then proceeded to put the anchor bolt into the hole. The problem I found
was that the thicker end of the anchor bolt would not go fully into the hole
and I ended up having to use a hammer to knock the bolt in. I'm certain this
can't be the right way. So was wondering if anyone could give me some advice
on how I'm supposed to install anchor bolts.

The critical bit of info you need to give us is what material you're
drilling these holes in. "Real" brick will be fine (if you're lucky
enough to avoid the mortar between the bricks!) and provided the plaster
isn't outrageously thick. Plasterboard would be an utter disaster.
Lightweight concrete blocks (v. often used as the inner skin of outer
walls on recently-built houses) won't hold an anchor bolt too well.

Since your TV (plasma screen? or big heavy 'normal' (cathode-ray tube))
is a serious weight, it's going to be a Good Idea to get whatever form
of anchoring is most suitable nice and secure!

Stefek
Colin Wilson

The critical bit of info you need to give us is what material you're
drilling these holes in

Good point :-}

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Stefek Zaba wrote:
The critical bit of info you need to give us is what material you're
drilling these holes in. "Real" brick will be fine (if you're lucky
enough to avoid the mortar between the bricks!)

16mm will not be a million miles away from the mortar between two courses.
Just make sure the wedges on the bolt are top and bottom as you tighten it.

--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.