Stuart

Default Cobbles

What is the best way to relay cobbles for driveway. (cobbles rather than
cobble sets!)
At present the cobbles are well bedded into non organic earth and have been
there for a very long time, hence the ground underneath should be well
compacted. I was considering lifting the cobbles then bedding them into 4:1
slightly damp sharp sand cement mix. Is this the correct way? and if so what
is the best way to clean any cement off the cobbles when finished.

Stuart

"Harry Ziman" wrote in message
This is what you need.

No it isn't!......I had already looked at various pages on the internet and
was now interested in the views and opinions of those with experiance of
laying cobbles! But thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious!

N. Thornton

"Stuart" wrote in message ...
"Harry Ziman" wrote in message
This is what you need.

No it isn't!......I had already looked at various pages on the internet and
was now interested in the views and opinions of those with experiance of
laying cobbles! But thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious!

I've watched it being done. He laid the stones in concrete that came
maybe only 1/3 or 1/2 way up the stones. After it was all laid and set
he poured some relatively sloppy cement mix in between them to fill up
to the top. I guess this is a way to avoid getting cement on them.

To remove cement:
when freshly dried, use a stiff brush.
When hardened, a rotary wire brush, applying HCl to any remnants. I
dont think I'd use HCl on cobbles though, as it will attack the wanted
mortar too.

Re your mix question, no idea.

Regards, NT