R.H.

Default Tool ID

I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

Bill

In message , R.H.
writes
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

Cable tie tensioner and cutter?
--
Bill
Edwin Pawlowski

"R.H." wrote in message
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

I'd guess at a fencing tool to twist and cut a tie wire. If I'm right an
older farmer or rancher would know for sure.

Space_Cowby

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"R.H." wrote in message
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

I'd guess at a fencing tool to twist and cut a tie wire. If I'm right an
older farmer or rancher would know for sure.

A fencing tool is likely to have a 'hammer' part as well.

I go with somehting for cutting or stripping wire

Duane Bozarth

"R.H." wrote in message
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

I'd guess at a fencing tool to twist and cut a tie wire. If I'm right an
older farmer or rancher would know for sure.

A fencing tool is likely to have a 'hammer' part as well.

I go with somehting for cutting or stripping wire

Yeah, it isn't fencing tool...

Joseph Meehan

R.H. wrote:
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used
for and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this
site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

I can't help you there but I do know 236 & 238 well.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Gary Cavie

In article ,
says...
R.H. wrote:
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used
for and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this
site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

I can't help you there but I do know 236 & 238 well.

236 - Chain link extractor, and 238 - Army rat pack issue can opener?
Joseph Meehan

Gary Cavie wrote:
In article ,
says...
R.H. wrote:
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's
used for and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on
this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

I can't help you there but I do know 236 & 238 well.

236 - Chain link extractor, and 238 - Army rat pack issue can opener?

Yep right on both (I believe that was a P-3 can opener)

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bob Eager

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:04:45 UTC, Gary Cavie
wrote:

236 - Chain link extractor, and 238 - Army rat pack issue can opener?

Definitely. Have both of them around here somewhere.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
R.H.

wrote:

236 - Chain link extractor, and 238 - Army rat pack issue can opener?

Definitely. Have both of them around here somewhere.

The can opener is a P-38.

Brian V

"R.H." wrote in message
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

Looks like it's a first generation wire striper. Clamp the wire and pull.

R.H.

"Brian V" wrote in message

"R.H." wrote in message
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used

for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

Looks like it's a first generation wire striper. Clamp the wire and pull.

I finally found a piece of wire that fit in the slot, it did work as a
stripper, so this might be correct.

BigWallop

"R.H." wrote in message
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

I was thinking it could be a horse shoe nail trimmer thingy, but the very
narrow slot says that the nails they drive through a horses hoof would be
much thicker, so that can't right unless it is a small version for use on
ponies

My second thought is of it being something to do with squeezing or crimping
things, so could it be an early wire crimping tool? We may never find out.

Final thought here is of furniture upholstery and the likes. Could it be
used to grip the edges of leather when it's pulled taught over the furniture
framing? It's another guess that doesn't go any further. :-) LOL

When and if you do find out what it is, please don't go without telling us.
:-)

willshak

On 1/15/2005 10:27 AM US(ET), BigWallop took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

"R.H." wrote in message

[...]

This site is a regular feature over in rec.woodworking. You can go over
there and read the others responses.
Look for the message header "Another tool ID needed NNNN" where NNNN is
a roman numeral, currently at XXVI. The site owner apparently already
knows the answers, so it is just a game for others to play.
BTW, no one has guessed what that tool is yet.

--
Bill
R.H.

This site is a regular feature over in rec.woodworking. You can go over
there and read the others responses.
Look for the message header "Another tool ID needed NNNN" where NNNN is
a roman numeral, currently at XXVI. The site owner apparently already
knows the answers, so it is just a game for others to play.
BTW, no one has guessed what that tool is yet.

I know what most of them are, but not all, I also don't know what #246
(antique with drawers) and #244 (the weight) are used for. I recently
changed the title of my threads at rec.woodworking from "Another tool ID
needed" to "What is it?", with roman numerals.

#239 is an ashtray for "ultra slims" right? ;-)

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Duane Bozarth

"R.H." wrote:
... I also don't know ... and #244 (the weight) are ...

Can't tell for sure, but there are two possibilities that come to mind--

1. Ground "hitching rail"
2. Windmill weight

I don't really think it is a windmill weight, though, as they were
typically more elaborate. I'm not sure about the hitching rail owing to
the apparent(?) slot in the weight...what does that actually look like?
R.H.

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
"R.H." wrote:
... I also don't know ... and #244 (the weight) are ...

Can't tell for sure, but there are two possibilities that come to mind--

1. Ground "hitching rail"
2. Windmill weight

I don't really think it is a windmill weight, though, as they were
typically more elaborate. I'm not sure about the hitching rail owing to
the apparent(?) slot in the weight...what does that actually look like?

I'm not familiar with either of the two possiblities that you mentioned,
I'll have to do a little research on them. As for what the slot actually
looks like, as you can see in the second photo of this one, it's really just
a partial rim around the upper piece that has two breaks, so it looks like a
slot when assembled. One possible reason for this is to put different sized
washers over the screw to increase the weight, but that's just a guess.

BigWallop wrote:
"R.H." wrote in message
[...]

I just verified that the tool in question was used in typewriter repair
to adjust the type bars.

A new set of photos have been posted if anyone is interested:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...

BigWallop wrote:
"R.H." wrote in message
[...]

251 is self drilling hollow wall anchor with about a 4 holding power on a
scale of 1-10

--
Colbyt
The only thing I do professionally is window treatment installations.

Rob Morley

In article , "Colbyt"
says...

wrote in message
oups.com...

BigWallop wrote:
"R.H." wrote in message
[...]

That's one of last week's - those answers have already been posted.
mrcheerful

"R.H." wrote in message
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

This is a very simple one (to me anyway) since I have one that I bought.

It is a piston twisting and depressing tool for the rear brake calipers of
cars. (with disk handbrake)

The square drive hole is used with a 3/8 socket bar. The various
arrangements of two pins are pressed into the groove of the piston and the
piston is pushed and at the same time turned. It is not a very good tool in
practise, but can get you out of trouble on an odd model.

Mrcheerful

Mark

mrcheerful . typed:

"R.H." wrote in message
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's
used for and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on
this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

This is a very simple one (to me anyway) since I have one that I
bought.

wrong tool ! it's number 243

mrcheerful

"Mark" wrote in message
mrcheerful . typed:

"R.H." wrote in message
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's
used for and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on
this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

This is a very simple one (to me anyway) since I have one that I
bought.

wrong tool ! it's number 243

curses, I didn't realise there were many to a page.

mrcheerful

raden

In message , R.H.
writes
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Wire stripper or TyRap tightener ?

--
geoff

R.H.

"raden" wrote in message
news
In message , R.H.
writes
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Wire stripper or TyRap tightener ?

I'm leaning toward wire stripper since it did strip a piece that I just
recently tried. Others say it could be a typewriter tool for bending the
part that holds the letters, but I haven't been able to verify this.

Mike

In article , rhvp67
@cinci.rr.com says...

"raden" wrote in message
news
In message , R.H.
writes
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Wire stripper or TyRap tightener ?

I'm leaning toward wire stripper since it did strip a piece that I just
recently tried. Others say it could be a typewriter tool for bending the
part that holds the letters, but I haven't been able to verify this.

Tool 243 could be used to make "Z-bends" in wire. Look at the
piece of copper wire below it.

I have a similar tool (not as fancy), that is used to make control
linkages for model airplanes.

R.H.

"Mike" wrote in message
bal.net...
In article , rhvp67
@cinci.rr.com says...

"raden" wrote in message
news
In message , R.H.
writes
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used

for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Wire stripper or TyRap tightener ?

I'm leaning toward wire stripper since it did strip a piece that I just
recently tried. Others say it could be a typewriter tool for bending

the
part that holds the letters, but I haven't been able to verify this.

Tool 243 could be used to make "Z-bends" in wire. Look at the
piece of copper wire below it.

I have a similar tool (not as fancy), that is used to make control
linkages for model airplanes.

Is the Z-bend from your tool just like this one?

Mike

In article . net,
says...
In article , rhvp67
@cinci.rr.com says...

"raden" wrote in message
news
In message , R.H.
writes
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Wire stripper or TyRap tightener ?

I'm leaning toward wire stripper since it did strip a piece that I just
recently tried. Others say it could be a typewriter tool for bending the
part that holds the letters, but I haven't been able to verify this.

Tool 243 could be used to make "Z-bends" in wire. Look at the
piece of copper wire below it.

I have a similar tool (not as fancy), that is used to make control
linkages for model airplanes.

Changed my mind!!! .... sort of. :-)

It is used to bend wire to specific shape. It is adjustable or has
replaceable dies for different wire gauges or shapes.

It could be something like
http://www.wirebelt.com/EZSplice/PDF...structions.pdf

As for it being specifically designed to make Z-bends, see
http://www.jkaerotech.com/Zbend.htm
for a picture and use of a Z-bend.

John Hines

"R.H." wrote:

I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Steel strapping cutter.

R.H.

"John Hines" wrote in message
"R.H." wrote:

I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Steel strapping cutter.

It doesn't cut wire, so I don't think it's meant to cut steel strapping.

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:02:30 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Does the "cutter" blade move backwards when the handles are squeezed ?

If it closes, then retracts, then it's probably a wire stripper. If
it only closes, then it's a lead seal crimper.

--
Smert' spamionam

R.H.

"bumtracks" wrote in message
sure looks like an old ideal wire stripper

I did a search on ideal wire strippers but didn't see one like mine.

R.H.

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:02:30 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Does the "cutter" blade move backwards when the handles are squeezed ?

If it closes, then retracts, then it's probably a wire stripper. If
it only closes, then it's a lead seal crimper.

The cutter blade doesn't move backwards when the handles are squeezed. The
opening on top of this one is only about 3/64" wide, not sure about the size
of typical lead seals. I just posted a photo showing the effect of this
tool on a piece of bare wire.

Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember "R.H." saying
something like:

I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Cant' help you with that one, but 240 might be a rubber sleeve expander
for fitting over cable ends.
--

Dave
willshak

On 1/16/2005 12:45 PM US(ET), Grimly Curmudgeon took fingers to keys,
and typed the following:

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember "R.H." saying
something like:

I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Cant' help you with that one, but 240 might be a rubber sleeve expander
for fitting over cable ends.

Nope. It's an auto battery terminal clamp expander.

--
Bill
R.H.

"willshak" wrote in message
On 1/16/2005 12:45 PM US(ET), Grimly Curmudgeon took fingers to keys,
and typed the following:

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember "R.H." saying
something like:

I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used

for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Cant' help you with that one, but 240 might be a rubber sleeve expander
for fitting over cable ends.

Nope. It's an auto battery terminal clamp expander.

Correct, at the bottom of that set is a link to the answers.

Stormin Mormon

243 appears to me to be some kind of cutter. I have at my parents house a
wire stripper, which is some what similar to this. I'm thinking for this,
maybe a strap cutter, for cutting straps off of packing skids.

247, I believe to be a baling hook. This handle makes it easier to handle
hay bales which are wrapped in string. It can also be used for dragging milk
crates.

236 may possibly be a link remover for working on bicycle or chain saw
chain.

238 is very obvious to me. It is a P-38 military can opener.

240 may be a shoe stretcher.

241 appears to be a drill gage.

http://pzphotosan46.blogspot.com/

I found a link to the answers. I didn't do too badly.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"R.H." wrote in message
I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for
and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

S Viemeister

Stormin Mormon wrote:

247, I believe to be a baling hook. This handle makes it easier to handle
hay bales which are wrapped in string. It can also be used for dragging milk
crates.

I have a pair of those hooks from when I went riding (horses) every week.
They fit into loops at the top of my riding boots, enabling me to pull them
on easily.
They're boot hooks. Mine are identical, grooves and all, to the one in the
photo.

Sheila