Jason Arthurs

Default Over voltage supply - Any potential problems

Since we moved into our current house we've had a few brownouts and
power cuts so I decided to fit a UPS on my mail server and firewall.
Having plugged in my APC UPS it is reporting 'over voltage'. The test
indicator shows that the voltage is between 248-256v.

Are there any implications for this excess voltage? We've recently
converted most of the house over to energy saving bulbs because
regular filament bulbs were blowing on a regular basis. Is this a
possible symptom?

Regards,
Jason.

---
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
N0 5pAm H3r3: Include this tagline to pass my spam filter.
Mike

"Jason Arthurs" wrote in message
Since we moved into our current house we've had a few brownouts and
power cuts so I decided to fit a UPS on my mail server and firewall.
Having plugged in my APC UPS it is reporting 'over voltage'. The test
indicator shows that the voltage is between 248-256v.

Are there any implications for this excess voltage? We've recently
converted most of the house over to energy saving bulbs because
regular filament bulbs were blowing on a regular basis. Is this a
possible symptom?

Yes. We have 253 volts and certain brands of filaments were going in no
time at all. In fact one batch of CFLs also blew but B&Q replaced them for
free.

Colin Wilson

Since we moved into our current house we've had a few brownouts and
power cuts so I decided to fit a UPS on my mail server and firewall.
Having plugged in my APC UPS it is reporting 'over voltage'. The test
indicator shows that the voltage is between 248-256v.

They`re not always entirely reliable as a means for detecting voltage

Are there any implications for this excess voltage? We've recently
converted most of the house over to energy saving bulbs because
regular filament bulbs were blowing on a regular basis. Is this a
possible symptom?

Its been known for this to happen - are you in a rural area supplied from
overhead lines, or are you close to a pole mounted transformer /
substation ?

You can ask your supplier to fit a voltage recorder (they`re usually in
for about a week) and will record what`s happening properly - and they`re
recalibrated on a regular basis to make sure they`re accurate.

Lurch

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:56:46 +0000, Jason Arthurs
strung together this:

Are there any implications for this excess voltage? We've recently
converted most of the house over to energy saving bulbs because
regular filament bulbs were blowing on a regular basis. Is this a
possible symptom?

Yes. You could get slightly technical and run the lighting off another
UPS, then you'd have longer lasting bulbs and some lights for a brief
period when the power goes off.

Mildly related obligitary topic drift: Although I would always say buy
the best, I've just been looking for a 1000VAish UPS for all my
servers and network bits and found some cheapo ones on Ebuyer for £40,
can't go wrong with that, as long as it lasts at least 12 months.
--

SJW
The Natural Philosopher

Jason Arthurs wrote:

Since we moved into our current house we've had a few brownouts and
power cuts so I decided to fit a UPS on my mail server and firewall.
Having plugged in my APC UPS it is reporting 'over voltage'. The test
indicator shows that the voltage is between 248-256v.

Are there any implications for this excess voltage? We've recently
converted most of the house over to energy saving bulbs because
regular filament bulbs were blowing on a regular basis. Is this a
possible symptom?

Yes.

Try and monitore throughout teh day, and IIRC you can get teh
electricity company to downrate teh tap on your transformer to lower it.

I believe its 230v +-10% so max it should be is 253v

Regards,
Jason.

---
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
N0 5pAm H3r3: Include this tagline to pass my spam filter.

Andy Burns

Colin Wilson wrote:

They`re not always entirely reliable as a means for detecting voltage

Monitoring of my UPS also shows overvoltages, generally they only occur
between 11pm and about 5am, so seems to depend on load on the grid, or
what mix of generators are in use?

I've not compared the UPS readings to a multimeter reading though, so
don't know how accurate it is ...
Owain

"Jason Arthurs" wrote
| Having plugged in my APC UPS it is reporting 'over voltage'. The test
| indicator shows that the voltage is between 248-256v.

That's not significantly over voltage. From the FAQ

- On 1 Jan 2003: the whole EU becomes 230V +/-10%.

So 253V is the maximum.

| Are there any implications for this excess voltage? We've recently
| converted most of the house over to energy saving bulbs because
| regular filament bulbs were blowing on a regular basis. Is this a
| possible symptom?

Filament bulbs are sensitive to overvoltage; most other things aren't within
the recommended tolerances.

Owain

Andy Wade

Owain wrote:

- On 1 Jan 2003: the whole EU becomes 230V +/-10%.

That didn't quite happen -- by which I mean the final step in the
harmonisation of the tolerances was postponed until [when?]. In the UK
we still have 230V +10%/-6%, IOW 216-253 volts.

If you're getting more than 253V then complain. I think they're
supposed to fix it within 6 months under their performance targets.

--
Andy
Andy Hall

wrote:

Since we moved into our current house we've had a few brownouts and
power cuts so I decided to fit a UPS on my mail server and firewall.
Having plugged in my APC UPS it is reporting 'over voltage'. The test
indicator shows that the voltage is between 248-256v.

Are there any implications for this excess voltage? We've recently
converted most of the house over to energy saving bulbs because
regular filament bulbs were blowing on a regular basis. Is this a
possible symptom?

Any *potential* problems with overvoltage supplies?

Currently not, but I know watt you mean. I wouldn't allow this in my
ohm, but would conductor thorough check.

You might meet with some resistance from your electricity supplier,
but don't put up with any impedance from them.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Wade

Andy Hall wrote:

Any *potential* problems with overvoltage supplies?

Currently not, but I know watt you mean. I wouldn't allow this in my
ohm, but would conductor thorough check.

You might meet with some resistance from your electricity supplier,
but don't put up with any impedance from them.

Dear Henry,

Some resistance from your electricity supplier could be exactly what you
need to solve your problem. Let's hope they are very reactive too.

--
(signed)
J Peasemold Gruntfuttock

James Salisbury

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Owain wrote:

- On 1 Jan 2003: the whole EU becomes 230V +/-10%.

That didn't quite happen -- by which I mean the final step in the
harmonisation of the tolerances was postponed until [when?]. In the UK we
still have 230V +10%/-6%, IOW 216-253 volts.

untill 2008 when it will go +- 10%

Andy Wade

James Salisbury wrote:

untill 2008 when it will go +- 10%

Ah, thank you. I'm sure I'd read that somewhere but I had forgotten
when the change had been postponed to.

--
Andy
James Salisbury

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
James Salisbury wrote:

untill 2008 when it will go +- 10%

Ah, thank you. I'm sure I'd read that somewhere but I had forgotten when
the change had been postponed to.

--
Andy

Try the ammendments to the 16th Ed of the Wiring Regs.

Owain

"Andy Burns" wrote
| Monitoring of my UPS also shows overvoltages, generally they only
| occur between 11pm and about 5am, so seems to depend on load
| on the grid, or what mix of generators are in use?

More likely on voltage drop on the supply cables. Voltage drop varies with
load, so overnight when there is little load there will be less drop.

Owain

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:56:46 +0000, Jason Arthurs wrote:

Since we moved into our current house we've had a few brownouts and
power cuts so I decided to fit a UPS on my mail server and firewall.
Having plugged in my APC UPS it is reporting 'over voltage'. The test
indicator shows that the voltage is between 248-256v.

Are there any implications for this excess voltage? We've recently
converted most of the house over to energy saving bulbs because
regular filament bulbs were blowing on a regular basis. Is this a
possible symptom?

Regards,
Jason.

---
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
N0 5pAm H3r3: Include this tagline to pass my spam filter.

One of the flats I do work on seems to suffer from over-voltage.
(told it was that the supply is uneven due to sharing the substation with
the underground). It goes through bulbs much faster than anywhere else and
the death of a bulb will likely take out a dimmer (there all switches now).

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Andy Wade

James Salisbury wrote:

Ah, thank you. I'm sure I'd read that somewhere but I had forgotten when
the change had been postponed to.

Try the ammendments to the 16th Ed of the Wiring Regs.

Yep - in Amendment no. 2 (the one that's mainly about the new colours)
it says "1st January 2008 (proposed)." It's still not definite then...

--
Andy
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:43:38 -0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

Having plugged in my APC UPS it is reporting 'over voltage'. The
test indicator shows that the voltage is between 248-256v.

They`re not always entirely reliable as a means for detecting
voltage

The front panel bar graphs look pretty and give a guide but thats all.
I can't remember if the doze software allows you to log the UPS
parameters or not (I have some OS/2 software that does), but the
readings there are fairly accurate.

I had exactly the same problem as the OP when we moved in here,
filament lamps not lasting and UPS in voltage reduction mode the
moment it was plugged in. I logged data for a few days, plotted some
graphs and rang up the supplier. Man at the door in 2 hrs, measured
voltage agreed it was high (but within tolerance, ISTR his meter said
250v) and a couple of days later they came round and adjusted the
tapping on our pole transformer. Filament bulbs now last as expected
and the UPS is happy.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Socket to them if they resist, OK Bill? Then they'll see the light.

NT

Jason Arthurs

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:43:38 -0000, Colin Wilson
wrote:

We live in Evesham, Worcestershire and are supplied by overhead cables
which go back to a rather elderly looking pole mounted substation at
the end of the road (the contact number on the transformer is only
four digits).

The electricity supply around here is notoriously poor. I used to work
for Evesham Technology and every time there was a heavy rainstorm we
would lose our power.

Regards,
Jason.

[...]

Andrew Chesters

wrote:

We live in Evesham, Worcestershire and are supplied by overhead cables
which go back to a rather elderly looking pole mounted substation at
the end of the road (the contact number on the transformer is only
four digits).

The electricity supply around here is notoriously poor. I used to work
for Evesham Technology and every time there was a heavy rainstorm we
would lose our power.

Regards,
Jason.

That could explain A LOT! ;-)

Colin Wilson

We live in Evesham, Worcestershire and are supplied by overhead cables
which go back to a rather elderly looking pole mounted substation at
the end of the road (the contact number on the transformer is only
four digits).
The electricity supply around here is notoriously poor

Time to request a voltage recorder to be installed then :-)

Load has traditionally only gone up rather than down, so depending on how
far away from the transformer you are you may see more (or less) of a dip
- the further away you are, the bigger the dips are likely to be.

http://www.energywatch.org.uk has a primer on voltage complaints, so
whoever your local REC is, they`ll be less likely to argue if you specify
you want the voltage checking per GS(whatever) - GS=Guaranteed Standard.

IIRC they have to provide a "substantive" (written) reply within 10 days,
and should report back the results of the voltage recorder.

Try these (watch the wrap)

http://energywatch-ext.custhelp.com/cgi-
bin/energywatch_ext.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3148

http://128.86.245.190/uploads/Guaran...rds_of_Perform
ance.pdf

Colin Wilson

http://128.86.245.190/uploads/Guaran...rds_of_Perform
ance.pdf

Forget this one, it linked to the wrong doc...

I think i`ve got it in .doc or .pdf format at work - i`ll post it home
and throw it on a website somewhere !

Colin Wilson

http://128.86.245.190/uploads/Guaran...rds_of_Perform
ance.pdf

Forget this one, it linked to the wrong doc...
I think i`ve got it in .doc or .pdf format at work - i`ll post it home
and throw it on a website somewhere !

OK, try this...

http://www.phoenixbbs.co.uk/Guarante...s_17-12-03.doc

(the date was when I downloaded it, not the issue date)