Junior Member

Default lead main to copper

Does anyone know the diameter of a lead main going into the kitchen 15mm copper pipe ? I need to replace the stopcock and wondered what the lead side fitting size is.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd
Does anyone know the diameter of a lead main going into the kitchen 15mm copper pipe ? I need to replace the stopcock and wondered what the lead side fitting size is.
That depends, you most likely have 7lb 1/2" lead for that job but I have come across 6 lb 1/2". The 1/2" is the internal diameter the weight tells you the thickness of lead it's made of.

If you go to a plumbers merchant and ask for a 7lb conex leadlock on it are given the circumferance, go home and check your pipe with a piece of string.

If you end up with a lead lock that is too tight to get on file the lead, if you end up with a lead lock that is too slack, open out the pipe.

The lead lock gives you conversion to 15mm compression fitting.

An easier option is to go to Plumb Centre who sell a plastic compression fitting that is range rated. Once again go and see what they've got and measure the diameter of your pipe, to see which you need. This is the more expensive route. Word of warning the instructions say hand tighten then 1 turn or something like that. That's ********, tighten it with grips very hard or it will leak!
BigWallop

"bobd" wrote in message

Does anyone know the diameter of a lead main going into the kitchen 15mm
copper pipe ? I need to replace the stopcock and wondered what the lead
side fitting size is.

bobd

Have a web search for lead pipework and you should get hits to help on this.
Old lead pipes are measure in pounds (lb), so they have figures like 7lb
lead, 9lb lead and such like, and old lead mains came in sort of three
standard sizes. The first being 7lb lead, the second 9lb lead and the third
was 12lb lead, depending on what water supply was in your area.

There are fittings called "Lead Lock" which form a compression joint on the
lead and the copper/plastic pipes. These are expensive and you really to
know what size lead pipe you have before buying one.

Try the web search first for more info'

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
bobd wrote:
Does anyone know the diameter of a lead main going into the kitchen 15mm
copper pipe ? I need to replace the stopcock and wondered what the lead
side fitting size is.

I found it impossible to find a stopcock with the correct thread to
replace mine - although 'lead' stopcocks were still available. You might
be more lucky.

However, if you practice a bit, it's possible to do a 'soldered' joint to
copper pipe either side and use a modern stopcock - or use lead to copper
compression fittings. But I've not tried those.

--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.