Alex \(YMG\)

Default Pressure at gas meter

Dear all,

I had Transco round today as when I measured the operating pressure (38kw
boiler & gas hob on full) at the test point on the meter (a G4 meter) I was
getting a reading of between 16-17mbar.

He adjusted the governor so that I now get 21mbar operating pressure
(lovely!). He stated however, that I was wrong when I said that I thought
the specification was 21mbar +/- 1mbar, and that they were only obligated to
supply 19mbar (I take that as meaning 20mbar +/- 1mbar).

My reason for asking is that Glow-worm state a minimum inlet pressure of
20mbar on the 38Cxi, so allowing for a 1mbar permissible drop in the
internal supply pipework - if Transco were operating at their lowest
'obligated pressure', even with no pressure drop in my internal pipework, I
wouldn't be able to meet this requirement.

Or have I completely misunderstood something??

Many thanks

Alex

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex \(YMG\)
[...]

Only Transco can tell you what they work to. I had heard it was different to our (corgi) guidelines.

Just a small point you are referring to operating pressure when what you are talking about is working pressure.

In the event that working pressure is not exactly what the manufacturer require what to do depends on whether the appliance is working satisfactorily, it's a judgement you can't make. In the evnt you have obtained the necessary raising of your govenor by Transco so in your case the situation is resolved.
Ed Sirett

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:32:28 +0000, Alex (YMG) wrote:

[...]

AIUI he is partly wrong and partly right.
The meter should be set to 21 mBar. However the governor is not perfect
and a small variation over the range of gas rates (from just one hob ring,
say, through to all appliances on) is acceptable so 21 +/- 1 mBar

With a maximum drop of 1 MBar for pipe work this means that appliances
will be delivered gas at 19-21 mBar. Some appliances will state that they
can be supplied at less (eg. Keston and Vaillant boilers only require
18mBar and some gas fires are happy with 17mBar).
An appliances that states it requires gas at 20 means 19-21.

In addition to this there are times and places where due to an inadequate
supply or an incident (say involving a JCB) Transco can't supply at a
pressure which proved for 20-22 mBar so in that case they are allowed as a
temporary measure to go down to 15mBar. To compliment this all appliances
are certified as safe (cf. effective) down to 14mBar (or presumably lower
for those that specify 18 or 17.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Alex \(YMG\)

Dear Ed & Paul,

Thank you both for your replies - much appreciated.

Best wishes

Alex