Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mike Dodd

Default Stud-partitioned walls

Hi,

This is a really basic question, but I thought I'd check in here before
making a prat of myself...

I have a projector, wall mounted on one of these wall-mounts for portable TV
type affairs, up until now the cables have been free-hanging, dropping down
and behind the sofa. (the PJ is a new addition, hence the so-far temporary
installation).

The wall mount bracket is fixed securely to one of the rising timbers of the
stud wall.

Now, what I have in mind is to bore a 1" hole at the height of the PJ, and
again just above the skirting board, and drop the cabling down the inside of
the wall.

Sounds good in theory, however, I cannot tell if the builders (oh, 8 year
old "new-build" townhouse, if that's relevant) would use only vertical
risers for the wall - my B&Q "You Can Do It" DIY book makes no suggestion of
the use of horizonal beams within the wall, but I'd have guessed there could
be some to provide rigidity within the wall?, which would bugger my plans
up, and leave two large holes in the wall for subsequent repair.

So, to my question...

Is it common for stud partition walls in relatively new-build houses to have
only vertical beams (apart from top/bottom, of course) thus allowing a
vertical drop of a cable?

Any information, before I get drilling, gladly received.

Regards

Mike