Ian Stirling

Default Emergency pipe shutoff tool.

I can imagine a tool like a pair of mole-grips, with a bigger lever, that
squashes a pipe flat, and shuts off the flow that way.
Do these exist?
Newshound

For copper or lead, what's wrong with a Mole wrench?

Ian Stirling

Newshound wrote:
For copper or lead, what's wrong with a Mole wrench?

Not strong enough (for copper).
I tried this with a pair of mole grips, and it will squash a 8mm pipe
flattish.
However, it will not squash it flat enough to stop it dripping.
As to 22mm, no hope.
Set Square

Ian Stirling wrote:

I can imagine a tool like a pair of mole-grips, with a bigger lever,
that squashes a pipe flat, and shuts off the flow that way.
Do these exist?

Do you want the action to be reversible?

I believe you can get clamps for plastic pipes to stop the flow temporarily.
If you did it to a metal pipe, it would stay flat!

If it's copper pipe, you can just put a push-fit end stop on the end - which
can subsequently be removed.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Jimmy

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 23:12:52 -0000, "Set Square"

Ian Stirling wrote:

I can imagine a tool like a pair of mole-grips, with a bigger lever,
that squashes a pipe flat, and shuts off the flow that way.
Do these exist?

Do you want the action to be reversible?

I believe you can get clamps for plastic pipes to stop the flow temporarily.

Hopefully someone can verify this. I had always thought it might
damage or weaken the (plastic) pipe. I need to get rid of a radiator
in my house. It certainly would be easier to just clamp the plastic
(Acorn) pipes on each side of it, and cap them off rather than drain
the whole system to do it.

mrcheerful

Ian Stirling wrote:

I can imagine a tool like a pair of mole-grips, with a bigger lever,
that squashes a pipe flat, and shuts off the flow that way.
Do these exist?

Do you want the action to be reversible?

I believe you can get clamps for plastic pipes to stop the flow
temporarily.

Hopefully someone can verify this. I had always thought it might
damage or weaken the (plastic) pipe. I need to get rid of a radiator
in my house. It certainly would be easier to just clamp the plastic
(Acorn) pipes on each side of it, and cap them off rather than drain
the whole system to do it.

get a two head freezer

Jimmy

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:28:07 GMT, "mrcheerful
.." wrote:

get a two head freezer

But much more expensive, yes?

BigWallop

Ian Stirling wrote:

I can imagine a tool like a pair of mole-grips, with a bigger lever,
that squashes a pipe flat, and shuts off the flow that way.
Do these exist?

Do you want the action to be reversible?

I believe you can get clamps for plastic pipes to stop the flow temporarily.

Hopefully someone can verify this. I had always thought it might
damage or weaken the (plastic) pipe. I need to get rid of a radiator
in my house. It certainly would be easier to just clamp the plastic
(Acorn) pipes on each side of it, and cap them off rather than drain
the whole system to do it.

Folding the pipe a couple of inches back from the end until you can get proper
stop ends would also do this for you. It might not stop the flow totally, but
it's enough to be able to set stops without the full pressure fighting on them.

Jimmy

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:48:14 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

Folding the pipe a couple of inches back from the end until you can get proper
stop ends would also do this for you. It might not stop the flow totally, but
it's enough to be able to set stops without the full pressure fighting on them.

Wow, that's so obvious when you think about it! Thank you for sharing
the tip. Funny that this has never occurrd to me before - but that may
be because I subconsciously feared that it would split the pipe or
weaken it. I have to conclude you don't think so.

Yet another reason why flexible plastic pipe is a good choice for
general household plumbing!

Senior Member

Yes it works very well. If you don't have a set of cone shaped rubber bungs, of those things with a lever on you get to put in a wine bottle usually fit. I used one only the other day when a gate valve needed changing.

In a sealed system you don't even need the bungs, just drain until the system hangs, close the drain. Shut off the rad to be removed, cut and cap one pipe, then the other, take away the rad, repressurise the system. Don't be scared of it, it's science and it works.
mike ring

Paul Barker wrote in
:

Yes it works very well.

snip content

Don't be scared of it, it's science and it works.

I believe, I believe!

(but until you've actually done it...... ;-)

mike
IMM

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I can imagine a tool like a pair of mole-grips, with a bigger lever, that
squashes a pipe flat, and shuts off the flow that way.
Do these exist?

Yep. That is what the water companis use to cut the water on underground
plastic pipes.