Markus Splenius

Default Gas supply

How do you find out what the maximum flow rate of your gas supply is?

I heard somewhere that it's about 6 cubic metres per hour.

The "calorific value" of my gas is 39.4 according to my bill. Took me
a while to work out it was megajoules/ cubic metre.

Shouldn't it say on the bill what the maximum capability of the supply
is?

6 m3/hr gives me 65 kilowatts which tallies roughly with Andy Hall's
figure given earlier.

M.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:28:25 +0000, Markus Splenius
wrote:

How do you find out what the maximum flow rate of your gas supply is?

I heard somewhere that it's about 6 cubic metres per hour.

The "calorific value" of my gas is 39.4 according to my bill. Took me
a while to work out it was megajoules/ cubic metre.

Shouldn't it say on the bill what the maximum capability of the supply
is?

It doesn't and only gives calorific values so that you can relate
volume to kW to have a comparison with electricity.

6 m3/hr gives me 65 kilowatts which tallies roughly with Andy Hall's
figure given earlier.

M.

It's defined by the meter and pipe size.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Set Square

wrote:

How do you find out what the maximum flow rate of your gas supply is?

I heard somewhere that it's about 6 cubic metres per hour.

The "calorific value" of my gas is 39.4 according to my bill. Took me
a while to work out it was megajoules/ cubic metre.

Shouldn't it say on the bill what the maximum capability of the
supply is?

It doesn't and only gives calorific values so that you can relate
volume to kW to have a comparison with electricity.

6 m3/hr gives me 65 kilowatts which tallies roughly with Andy Hall's
figure given earlier.

M.

It's defined by the meter and pipe size.

My meter says 212 cu.ft/h - which equates to about 67 kW.

However, I don't know whether the pipework can handle that flow -
particularly since they lined the original iron domestic supply pipe with a
much smaller bore plastic pipe. [It's probably ok since the original
pipework was designed for Town Gas - rather than Natural Gas - at a much
lower pressure and calorific value.]
--
Cheers,
Set Square