Mr Angry

Default Buy a Dyson at your peril

Anyone else had bad experiences with Dyson vacuum cleaners, but I
bought one 12 months ago and so far have had two motors replaced and
the third is on it's way out judging by the noise it's now making.
The "wand" for cleaning the stairs has also broke and part of the
plastic body which switches the suction from the floor to the wand has
snapped off. Now it doesn't have a hard life we only live in your
average 3 bedroom house so I'm not excactly over working it.
I was especially impressed by the two engineers who came to repair the
motors, they were quite open about the poor reliability of these
dysons!!
I've got a couple of friends who have had similar experiences, and I
was just wondering how bad these cleaners actually are for
reliability.

I won't be buying another of these over priced cleaners. avoid them
like the plague.
Dan Gravell

Mr Angry wrote:

[...]

Funnily enough there's just been a report published that agrees with
your findings.

Personally, I inherited a Dyson from my mum a few years ago, never had a
problem with it (which wasn't my fault).
Craig Graham

Dan Gravell wrote:
Funnily enough there's just been a report published that agrees with
your findings.

Reference?

Personally, I inherited a Dyson from my mum a few years ago, never
had a problem with it (which wasn't my fault).

We bought a cylinder one about 5 years ago. The only problem has been that I
snapped the top of the wand, but I suspect that's because I used to push
things sideways out of the way with it, putting lots of force in directions
it wasn't designed for. Replaced that maybe 3 years ago and no hassles
since.

This was bought before they outsourced the manufacturing though. Maybe
that's a factor.

--
Dr. Craig Graham, Software Engineer
Advanced Analysis and Integration Limited, UK. http://www.aail.co.uk/

Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Craig Graham wrote:
Dan Gravell wrote:
Funnily enough there's just been a report published that agrees with
your findings.

Reference?

Might he be referring to Which? May 2004, p12?

---
Overall, 79% of upright vacs up to
six years old haven't required repair

Best (up to 95%): Sebo, Hitachi, Oreck, Panasonic, Electrolux
Average: Hoover
Worst (75%): Dyson

---
Overall, 91% of cylinder vacs up to
six years old haven't required repair

Best (up to 97%): Morphy Richards, Bosch, Numatic, Miele
Average: Goblin, Electrolux, Panasonic, Hoover
Worst (81%): Dyson

--
Mike Barnes
Bob Mannix

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
om...
Anyone else had bad experiences with Dyson vacuum cleaners, but I
bought one 12 months ago and so far have had two motors replaced and
the third is on it's way out judging by the noise it's now making.
The "wand" for cleaning the stairs has also broke and part of the
plastic body which switches the suction from the floor to the wand has
snapped off. Now it doesn't have a hard life we only live in your
average 3 bedroom house so I'm not excactly over working it.
I was especially impressed by the two engineers who came to repair the
motors, they were quite open about the poor reliability of these
dysons!!
I've got a couple of friends who have had similar experiences, and I
was just wondering how bad these cleaners actually are for
reliability.

Mine's been going well for well over 3 years. Reasonably hard life as well.
The only thing that does break (and shouldn't) is the mains lead where it
enters the machine. It has been shortened (by me) twice. Starting to look a
little tatty I suppose but still cleans excellently.

I would say their suggestion that the filters are changed "every 3 months"
is laughably inaccurate (or we have a very dirty house). I have to change
mine every time I empty it but they are washable.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

RichardS

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
om...
[...]

think it's about time for another rousing chorus of the Henry song....

:-)

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Dave Plowman

In article ,
IMM wrote:
I have had a DC01 for 7 or 8 years, and apart from belts nothing wrong at
all.

You buy cheap power tools that under perform, but overpriced vacuum
cleaners that are heavily advertised? Strange priorities...

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

dave @ stejonda

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes of Dysons

SWMBo now rerely uses her two, as she has discovered how ***ing awkward
and heavy they are compared with a cheapo Japanese cylinder.

Whereas the lady of the house here will only use the ageing DC05 and
will have nothing to do with the Panasonic cheapy I bought for
downstairs. I will admit that the Panasonic lost most of its suction
when I used it to clear up some brick dust. The brick dust clogged a
couple of its washable filters something that the spinning Dyson never
had a problem with.

--
dave @ stejonda

"To materialist eyes, India is a developing country;
to spiritual eyes, the United States is a developing country."
Ram Dass
mike ring

"IMM" wrote in
:

I have had a DC01 for 7 or 8 years, and apart from belts nothing wrong
at all.

I expect that's the mains lead problem we keep hearing about

mike
James Fidell

In article , Bob wrote:

It seems to be the DC01s that have the most troubles - whether that
is because they were the first (teething troubles?), or because they
are now the oldest I couldn't say.

We've had a DC01 for eight years and it's still going strong. I've
replaced the drive belt once, but other than that it's been trouble-
free. My only criticisms are that the flexible hose is a little awkward
to use and that it doesn't lie flat enough to go under beds.

James
Graham Wilson

On Thu, 6 May 2004 23:06:28 +0000 (UTC), James Fidell
wrote:

My only criticisms are that the flexible hose is a little awkward
to use and that it doesn't lie flat enough to go under beds.

I am sure the wife says exactly the same thing - but do you hear here
complaining?

(:-)

Graham

Alan

I have a DC08 which is nearing it's first anniversary without a single
problem.

In terms of cleaning performance I'm yet to use a vacuum which is better.

Alan.

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
om...
[...]

http://www.usenet.com

Fash

I've got a DC02 - now up to 3 years no problems and it gets abused for
clearing up building waste - including plaster dust. Eats filters, but I've
stopped using Dyson ones and use a sheet filter which folds over the 2
outlets. I don't buy their line about no loss of suction though, surely as
the filter clogs up the vacuum pressure is reduced just like a conventional
bag cleaner where the bag is the final filter. I do think there's a lot of
hype, but you know it is bright yellow!

The only thing that broke on it is the pipe to the clening head when I trod
on it, but with a bit of solvent cement it still seems to cope with being
picked up by the pipe and other things they tell you not to do in the manual
(I assume since I haven't read it - being able to find the On/Off switch on
my own.)

Sorry to hear yours is naff, but maybe they're better now they're made in
the Far East!!

Fash

"Alan" wrote in message
I have a DC08 which is nearing it's first anniversary without a single
problem.

In terms of cleaning performance I'm yet to use a vacuum which is better.

Alan.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 6 May 2004 13:02:52 +0100, "Fash"
wrote:

I've got a DC02 - now up to 3 years no problems and it gets abused for
clearing up building waste - including plaster dust. Eats filters, but I've
stopped using Dyson ones and use a sheet filter which folds over the 2
outlets. I don't buy their line about no loss of suction though, surely as
the filter clogs up the vacuum pressure is reduced just like a conventional
bag cleaner where the bag is the final filter. I do think there's a lot of
hype, but you know it is bright yellow!

It shouldn't be so much because the cyclone comes before the filter
and fan and removes a larger proportion of the dust before the air
reaches the filter.

I have a large woodworking dust extractor that works on the same
principle. THe fine dust filter is actually on the final output and
the cyclone captures almost all the material before it reaches the
fan.

A conventional cleaner has the bag as the first filter.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Graham Wilson

On Thu, 06 May 2004 19:55:39 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

It shouldn't be so much because the cyclone comes before the filter
and fan and removes a larger proportion of the dust before the air
reaches the filter.

I have a large woodworking dust extractor that works on the same
principle. THe fine dust filter is actually on the final output and
the cyclone captures almost all the material before it reaches the
fan.

If you read Dyson's autobiography, he says that it was the dust
extractor at a saw mill where he got the idea from of using a cyclone
to separate dirt and air.

He originally wanted to use a cyclone to separate paint spray from air
when he was spraying the metal frame of one of his earlier inventions
- the ballbarrow.

Graham

chris French

In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

I've got a DC02 - now up to 3 years no problems and it gets abused for
clearing up building waste - including plaster dust. Eats filters, but I've
stopped using Dyson ones and use a sheet filter which folds over the 2
outlets. I don't buy their line about no loss of suction though, surely as
the filter clogs up the vacuum pressure is reduced just like a conventional
bag cleaner where the bag is the final filter. I do think there's a lot of
hype, but you know it is bright yellow!

It shouldn't be so much because the cyclone comes before the filter
and fan and removes a larger proportion of the dust before the air
reaches the filter.

Indeed, my experience is that the suction stays pretty constant, until a
point where the filter gets too blocked, and then it rapidly goes down
hill.

In 'normal' use I've not found the filter blocks quickly (or even at all
in fact), but fine plaster dust will do it... :-)

We've had 2 and both have been reliable, a DCO2 which was so nice that
someone nicked it, and a more recent DCO7. I much prefer the newer
filters as they are washable though.

As for braking, well ours have both passed the bounce down the stairs
test.

I certainly think that the cleaning performance is better than the
Henrys I've used.
--
Chris French, Leeds
dave @ stejonda

In message , chris French
writes
As for braking, well ours have both passed the bounce down the stairs
test.

Shouldn't the brakes have prevented that?

chris French wrote:

As for braking, well ours have both passed the bounce down the stairs
test.

You mean they managed to stop themselves on the way down?

--
Chris Green
Tony Bryer

In article , Mr Angry
wrote:
Anyone else had bad experiences with Dyson vacuum cleaners, but I
bought one 12 months ago and so far have had two motors replaced and
the third is on it's way out judging by the noise it's now making.

The latest Which magazine has a report on reliability and says (copy
at home, this is from memory) says that although it has found that
Dyson cleaners work very well it cannot make them 'Best Buys' because
of the poor reliability. So perhaps it's "Dyson cleaners suck" - read
whichever way you prefer!

Andy Hall

On Thu, 06 May 2004 13:02:56 +0100, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Mr Angry
wrote:
Anyone else had bad experiences with Dyson vacuum cleaners, but I
bought one 12 months ago and so far have had two motors replaced and
the third is on it's way out judging by the noise it's now making.

The latest Which magazine has a report on reliability and says (copy
at home, this is from memory) says that although it has found that
Dyson cleaners work very well it cannot make them 'Best Buys' because
of the poor reliability. So perhaps it's "Dyson cleaners suck" - read
whichever way you prefer!

The standard slogan is "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux"

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Junior Member

We have had a DC02 for quite a few years, and the only thing that has failed is the mains lead inlet into the body.

The MAJOR failing of similar designs, is that it is an upright, and can, will, and does fall over, possibly breaking the handle (not that ours has yet). When I park the cleaner, I always have it with its back to the wall, so preventing damge should it tip backwards, as it is prone to do if nudged heavily.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Mr Angry wrote:
I've got a couple of friends who have had similar experiences, and I
was just wondering how bad these cleaners actually are for
reliability.

Go into any Curry's etc, and you'll find a rack of spares on display for
Dyson. I've never seen them do this for any other comparable product, so
the spares must be fast moving and have a large profit margin.

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Nick Brooks

Mr Angry wrote:
[...]

I recently visited a second had shop that had about 8 used vacuum
cleaners for sale. 7 of them were Dysons which I took to mean that
people were getting rid of them despite the fact that they still "worked"

Nick Brooks
Ron Ireland

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I'm or should I say my wife is onto her second Dyson, the first a DC01 never
let us down apart from the usual cable breaks where it enters the machine
(easily fixed).
The present DC07 after a year is still performing perfectly, hope I don't
regret saying that :0)

Ric

I'm or should I say my wife is onto her second Dyson, the first a DC01

never
let us down apart from the usual cable breaks where it enters the machine
(easily fixed).

Could you explain how it is fixed? My dad said he had that problem with his
but couldn't find a way into the casing to replace the cable. Any help
appreciated!

The present DC07 after a year is still performing perfectly, hope I don't
regret saying that :0)

Ron Ireland

"Ric" wrote in message
.. .

I'm or should I say my wife is onto her second Dyson, the first a DC01

never
let us down apart from the usual cable breaks where it enters the

machine
(easily fixed).

Could you explain how it is fixed? My dad said he had that problem with

his
but couldn't find a way into the casing to replace the cable. Any help
appreciated!

I can't really remember but as I recall the bit that hinges up to empty the
drum will pull off with a bit of persuasion, I think this reveals a pozi
screw that fixes the plate that covers the electrical connections. If I'm
wrong I'm sure someone is waiting in the wings to correct me.

Bob Mannix

"Ron Ireland" wrote in message

"Ric" wrote in message
.. .

I'm or should I say my wife is onto her second Dyson, the first a DC01

never
let us down apart from the usual cable breaks where it enters the

machine
(easily fixed).

Could you explain how it is fixed? My dad said he had that problem with

his
but couldn't find a way into the casing to replace the cable. Any help
appreciated!

I can't really remember but as I recall the bit that hinges up to empty

the
drum will pull off with a bit of persuasion, I think this reveals a pozi
screw that fixes the plate that covers the electrical connections. If I'm
wrong I'm sure someone is waiting in the wings to correct me.

Yes to the first bit but I think it's a Torx screw (AFAICR).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Ron Ireland

I can't really remember but as I recall the bit that hinges up to empty

the
drum will pull off with a bit of persuasion, I think this reveals a pozi
screw that fixes the plate that covers the electrical connections. If

I'm
wrong I'm sure someone is waiting in the wings to correct me.

Yes to the first bit but I think it's a Torx screw (AFAICR).

Yup I believe you could be right

Lurch

On Thu, 06 May 2004 14:56:21 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Rick Dipper
strung together this:

I like the new add "100% suction 100% of the time" I have three items
in my house that simply disprove this rule
- plaster dust
- soot (from the open fire)
- dog hair
The first two do not "cyclone" and block the filters, the third blocks
the pipes. I am trying to decide if I sould concat the advertising
standards agency, or dyson.

While you're at it complain about every other advert that misinforms
and blatantly lies about the product it's trying to sell.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Dyson DC04 switch removal. an other UK diy 0 October 15th 03 01:39 PM
Dyson washer fault code impvan UK diy 1 October 7th 03 12:01 AM
Dyson DC04 Switch/Lead John UK diy 0 September 5th 03 03:22 PM
Best place to buy a Dyson DC04? The Q UK diy 4 July 11th 03 01:18 PM