Junior Member

Default Will the wrong jet size in my boiler cause it to trip

I have a 055 jet in my boiler at the minute, The sticker on the boiler says to use a 0.65 jet. Would this cause the boiler to constantly trip and need reset?

The boiler man told me it was the right size of jet in it, but it doesn't match what it says on the boiler.
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:04:53 +0000, technics100 wrote:

I have a 055 jet in my boiler at the minute, The sticker on the boiler
says to use a 0.65 jet. Would this cause the boiler to constantly trip
and need reset?

The boiler man told me it was the right size of jet in it, but it
doesn't match what it says on the boiler.

The acid test is to measure the burner pressure and the rate of gas
consumption (see FAQ) and see if is between 90% and 105% of the data on
the rating plate when the pressure is set correctly (within +/- 0.25 mBar)

If it checks out then just forget it - otherwise obtain and fit the right
jet.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Peter Scott

--

When you say 'trip' you presumably mean a lockout? Does the boiler sound the
same when running? Have you cleaned the optical sensor lately? I'd try this

Peter Scott

John

"Peter Scott" wrote in message

"technics100" wrote in message

I have a 055 jet in my boiler at the minute, The sticker on the boiler
says to use a 0.65 jet. Would this cause the boiler to constantly trip
and need reset?

I've missed the OP but coming in here the straight answer is most likely NOT
The number is the throughtput rating in US GPH at 100 psi so a smaller jet
than specified will cause weaker running and may lead to reduced heat output
and smells from the exhaust. I say may since it is possible to compensate
for the smaller jet by increasing the pump pressure within limits. Depending
on the fuel this is sometimes done deliberately to improve the atomisation
with a heavier fuel. Also worth noting is the use of different size jets to
adjust the output rating of the boiler according to the manufacturers
installation and service manual. If you are in any doubt you should refer to
this booklet.
BTW what make and model of boiler and burner do you have?

The boiler man told me it was the right size of jet in it, but it
doesn't match what it says on the boiler.

See above

--

When you say 'trip' you presumably mean a lockout? Does the boiler sound
the same when running? Have you cleaned the optical sensor lately? I'd try
this first. If still locking out and if the flame sounds different I'd get
the specified jet. They're only five quid. I speculate that the wrong jet
might produce more carbon? Anyone know?

No it won't produce more carbon in this case as the burn will be weaker. See
above, however I'm hoping the OP will come back with fuller information.

Junior Member

The Boiler is Trianco, The sequential control is indeed a Sartronic 830, I dont know where the burner is, The oil pump is Danfoss Type BFP 11LS, the motor is bentone with a box above it which is Danfoss Type EBI.

The boiler has just had new motor, oil pump and photocell, within the last few months. The boiler keeps tripping. The boiler man says the oil has water in it and is clogging up the jet. He has replaced the jet 3 times but the boiler keeps tripping. I have drained the bottom of the tank and there isn't any water in it.. (plastic tank) I don;t know what to do next. any ideas..

cheers

John

"technics100" wrote in message

The Boiler is Trianco, The sequential control is indeed a Sartronic 830,
I dont know where the burner is, The oil pump is Danfoss Type BFP 11LS,
the motor is bentone with a box above it which is Danfoss Type EBI.

The boiler has just had new motor, oil pump and photocell, within the
last few months. The boiler keeps tripping. The boiler man says the
oil has water in it and is clogging up the jet. He has replaced the
jet 3 times but the boiler keeps tripping. I have drained the bottom
of the tank and there isn't any water in it.. (plastic tank) I don;t
know what to do next. any ideas..

cheers

I'm sure this is word for word a repeat of an old post from a few weeks ago.
Are you saying you are still having the same problem or is the web bouncing
repeated posts around again?

Junior Member

Same problem, it hasn't went away...
Peter Scott

"technics100" wrote in message

Same problem, it hasn't went away...

Bit of a mystery. One last thought. Does it trip immediately? In other words
does it never ignite? If so then it could be that the transformer, wires or
ignitor electrodes are faulty. The wires can decay after a while, especially
if you have ever had poor running and the heat had come back out of the
chamber. Its easy to replace them. They're just like car plug leads. If it
starts up, runs for a while then trips this will not be the problem.

Hmm.. Another last thought. I used the safety valve as an on-off valve for a
while. Then the solder wore away and it leaked and I had to replace it. This
might also restrict the flow of oil and cause a flame-out. This causes a
trip on my boiler, though this is a guess in your case.

Peter Scott

Junior Member

The boiler always runs from cold, as long as it has been trip has been reset from before. Sometimes it will run for an hour before tripping, but once it starts it seems to get worse. I have no ideas at all!!!!!!!!
John

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:04:53 +0000, technics100 wrote:

I have a 055 jet in my boiler at the minute, The sticker on the boiler
says to use a 0.65 jet. Would this cause the boiler to constantly trip
and need reset?

The boiler man told me it was the right size of jet in it, but it
doesn't match what it says on the boiler.

The acid test is to measure the burner pressure and the rate of gas
consumption (see FAQ) and see if is between 90% and 105% of the data on
the rating plate when the pressure is set correctly (within +/- 0.25
mBar)

If it checks out then just forget it - otherwise obtain and fit the right
jet.

Going by the sizes (0.55 & 0.65) and the term jet I read it as an oil boiler
Ed

Junior Member

Yes it is an oil burner...any ideas?
John

"technics100" wrote in message

Yes it is an oil burner...any ideas?

Are you getting all the posts on this thread?
ISTR we have been through your heating guy saying there is water in the
fuel, you saying there isn't any in the fuel tank but your problem remains.
Can you handle spanners etc yourself so we can look into this further?
Best if you can list the pertinent points again as working from memory I
"think" you have a Trianco boiler with a Riello burner but I could be
getting you confused with someone else and original posts have expired.

You can do a simple check on your fuel by running a quantity through the
pressure test point on your oil pump into a clean container and looking at
the liquid. I use a clear plastic pop bottle which is held up to the light.
Clean Kerosine is just that, water can be seen as a layer at the bottom of
the bottle or globs rolling about the bottom. If you don't have
contamination you can discount this factor and we can move on from there.

Ed Sirett

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:53:08 +0000, John wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:04:53 +0000, technics100 wrote:

I have a 055 jet in my boiler at the minute, The sticker on the boiler
says to use a 0.65 jet. Would this cause the boiler to constantly trip
and need reset?

The boiler man told me it was the right size of jet in it, but it
doesn't match what it says on the boiler.

The acid test is to measure the burner pressure and the rate of gas
consumption (see FAQ) and see if is between 90% and 105% of the data on
the rating plate when the pressure is set correctly (within +/- 0.25
mBar)

If it checks out then just forget it - otherwise obtain and fit the right
jet.

Going by the sizes (0.55 & 0.65) and the term jet I read it as an oil boiler
Ed

I realised my mistake just _after_ I pressed the send button. grin

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Hot water cylinder Pandora UK diy 67 November 4th 04 09:02 PM
Noisy banging boiler what is the cause? Tim UK diy 8 November 3rd 04 09:36 PM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 08:29 PM
Boiler pilot light went out David Hearn UK diy 6 October 26th 03 11:54 PM