Stephen Jones

Default New Chimney pot and gas fire

The chimney is what the house was built with. I beleive the holes in
the side of the stack were for coal fires to help the draw. We
currently have a gas fire, old fanshioned type four element, fitted to
the chimney, I suppose the question is if we brick up these holes on
the side of the stack and put a chimney pot in the hole in the slab
and some sort of rain cover on the pot will it affect the fire that is
currently fitted. The chimney stack goes straight down to the fire and
looking down it I can see the back of the gas fire, its about 20ft
down. We have a carbon monoxide detector, came with the house, which
shows no problems.

Steve
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:35:25 -0800, Stephen Jones wrote:

The chimney is what the house was built with. I beleive the holes in
the side of the stack were for coal fires to help the draw. We
currently have a gas fire, old fanshioned type four element, fitted to
the chimney, I suppose the question is if we brick up these holes on
the side of the stack and put a chimney pot in the hole in the slab
and some sort of rain cover on the pot will it affect the fire that is
currently fitted. The chimney stack goes straight down to the fire and
looking down it I can see the back of the gas fire, its about 20ft
down. We have a carbon monoxide detector, came with the house, which
shows no problems.

It is possible that despite you having had no problems the current
arrangement is not compliant with the required flueing standards (and
likely never was).

I would modify the the terminal and chimney to comply as outlined in
John's posting and have the chimney swept for good measure.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

John

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

And don't just stick a rain cap on as any such restriction can cause serious
flue problems. A small number of devices are approved for use with gas
flues, make sure anything you intend using is.