Junior Member

Location: norfolk
Default mikeguitar

My house is a largish detached property, the central heating was installed 30 years ago with all downstairs pipework in the cement floor screed.
each radiator has a half inch copper feed pipe, I have had a new boiler installed and am not completely satisfied with the rad heat output of the rads furthest from the boiler. I was thinking of piping surface 22 mm pipe and then reducing to 15 mm near the rads. ( Ive persuaded the wife this is the best option. This would mean some longish runs of pipe but at least most of it would be in 22mm. Anyone comment on this
Wanderer

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:48:16 +0000, mike guitar wrote:

My house is a largish detached property, the central heating was
installed 30 years ago with all downstairs pipework in the cement
floor screed.
each radiator has a half inch copper feed pipe, I have had a new boiler
installed and am not completely satisfied with the rad heat output of
the rads furthest from the boiler. I was thinking of piping surface 22
mm pipe and then reducing to 15 mm near the rads. ( Ive persuaded the
wife this is the best option. This would mean some longish runs of pipe
but at least most of it would be in 22mm. Anyone comment on this

Yup, are you satisfied that the rads are properly balanced? Check the
uk.d-i-y FAQs website - there are from memory a couple of articles about
rad balancing, invest in an IR thermometer, and check them out. You could
save yourself a great deal of time, effort and money, and impress 'Er
Indoors with your frugality......

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Junior Member

Location: norfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer
[...]

cheers wanderer Ill investigate, nothing does it for er indoors tho
Frank Erskine

wrote:

My house is a largish detached property, the central heating was
installed 30 years ago with all downstairs pipework in the cement
floor screed.
each radiator has a half inch copper feed pipe, I have had a new boiler
installed and am not completely satisfied with the rad heat output of
the rads furthest from the boiler. I was thinking of piping surface 22
mm pipe and then reducing to 15 mm near the rads. ( Ive persuaded the
wife this is the best option. This would mean some longish runs of pipe
but at least most of it would be in 22mm. Anyone comment on this

A good question! If you use a larger pipe there will be more surface
area in contact with the absorbing ground/screed.
Depending on how/where the piping is installed you may be able to use
some of the heat dispersed into the substrate.

--
Frank Erskine
Rick Hughes

"mike guitar" wrote in message

My house is a largish detached property, the central heating was
installed 30 years ago with all downstairs pipework in the cement
floor screed.

One poster has suggested balancing ... good idea, I wrote a large article
for the FAQ many years ago ... not sure if it is still used.
Make sure you take car of setting correct pump speed as well.

If it were me I would heat up system, drain it refill with a
desludger/system flush additive (any plumbers merchants) run it till hot
drain, flush again.
Then add fernox ... and fill, bleed fully then carry out the balancing.

Rick