Junior Member

Default Power Shower problem

Our power shower has just started misbehaving after 2 years of use.
The temperature is OK when the pump is not on, however, when the pump is switched on the temperature drops to just cold.
Is it the impellor on the hot side not working, which sounds OK, or, is it the mixer? My money is on the pump.
Any suggestions before I rip them apart.

Thanks
Jonathan
Paul King

jonathan wrote:
Our power shower has just started misbehaving after 2 years of use.
The temperature is OK when the pump is not on, however, when the pump
is switched on the temperature drops to just cold.
Is it the impellor on the hot side not working, which sounds OK, or,
is it the mixer? My money is on the pump.
Any suggestions before I rip them apart.

Thanks
Jonathan

Turn the shower mixer to hot only... what happens next?
No water at all = knackered pump!
If, on the other hand the pump also powers the bath taps - as ours does -
hot water at the bath hot tap = blocked shower feed pipe!

CJK

"Paul King" wrote in message
news:1103296679.bf16acd9f800872d5b40fab22d818328@t eranews...
jonathan wrote:
Our power shower has just started misbehaving after 2 years of use.
The temperature is OK when the pump is not on, however, when the pump
is switched on the temperature drops to just cold.
Is it the impellor on the hot side not working, which sounds OK, or,
is it the mixer? My money is on the pump.
Any suggestions before I rip them apart.

Thanks
Jonathan

Turn the shower mixer to hot only... what happens next?
No water at all = knackered pump!
If, on the other hand the pump also powers the bath taps - as ours does -
hot water at the bath hot tap = blocked shower feed pipe!

I'd check for airlocks. Happens on ours at about this time of the year as
the temperature
of the incoming water drops. Lower temperature = more dissolved air which
is supersaturated
when heated and comes out of solution when stirred up by the pump (just a
theory but explains
what happens).

Try bleeding the system, turn to full hot and hold the shower head as low as
you can. If it spits
and splutters that may be your problem.

I've not found a good cure for this as the pipe run must go up into the loft
and down again. An air
bleed at the high point helps a bit though.

Chris K

Junior Member

Thanks for the replies,
Not sure if it's a safety feature but our mixer won't do hot only - it seems to mix cold with it. However, I tried the "turning it to full hot and lowering the shower head".
Result - no spluttering, just powered cold water.
As I said you can have a perfect temperature shower as long as you don't want it powered. As soon as you throw the switch for the pump - it turns cold.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks
Jonathan
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan
Thanks for the replies,
Not sure if it's a safety feature but our mixer won't do hot only - it seems to mix cold with it. However, I tried the "turning it to full hot and lowering the shower head".
Result - no spluttering, just powered cold water.
As I said you can have a perfect temperature shower as long as you don't want it powered. As soon as you throw the switch for the pump - it turns cold.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks
Jonathan
loghic says it's the pump.

BigWallop

"jonathan" wrote in message

Thanks for the replies,
Not sure if it's a safety feature but our mixer won't do hot only - it
seems to mix cold with it. However, I tried the "turning it to full hot
and lowering the shower head".
Result - no spluttering, just powered cold water.
As I said you can have a perfect temperature shower as long as you
don't want it powered. As soon as you throw the switch for the pump -
it turns cold.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks
Jonathan

Are there any isolator valves to the shower pump? If you find some, then
try turning the cold supply side down a little until the shower balances
properly.

Aqualisa power shower pressure switch failed this morning dave @ stejonda UK diy 2 September 14th 04 05:25 AM
Power Shower mdrandall UK diy 1 April 24th 04 07:34 PM
Shower problem Annette Kurten UK diy 2 February 25th 04 04:37 PM
shower pump in loft problem advice required Gary Holt UK diy 3 October 2nd 03 01:57 PM
Electric Shower problem Jase UK diy 1 July 6th 03 12:59 PM