Ken Sparky

Default Change from TT to TN-S earthing

At the moment, I have two consumer units - one for the usual domestic supply and
the other for off-peak heating with each having its own ELCB and earth rod.

About ten years ago, the electricity board fitted a new off-peak timer and
unwrapped a perforated strip which was connected [and still is] to the sheathing
on the incoming cable, screwed an earthing block to it, and earthed the new
timer to that block. I'm a bit hazy on this, but I seem to recall the fitter
saying at the time that it was a PME system, but it's connected as TN-S.

I'd like to fit new CUs - one split load with a 30mA RCD, and the other without
RCD for the off-peak heating - junk the ELCBs and TT system, and earth to the
block that the fitter put in.

A couple of years ago, my neighbour had storage heaters put in by the board and
they installed a new CU for him. A couple of weeks later, a different crew
turned up to remove his ELCB and re-earth to the incoming cable sheathing.

Is the process as straightforward as that or is there some work that the board
needs to do behind the scenes?

Ken Sparky wrote:
[...]

Changing the actual earth connection from your local earth rod to the
company supplied earth is probably "as straightforward as that".
However there *may* be issues with the sizing of your earth bonding
connections as for a PME system the earth bonding requirements are
more demanding.

By the way PME is TN-C-S if I remember correctly, not TN-S. It
depends whether the earth that the 'electricity company' have supplied
is actually their neutral or separate.

TN-C-S 'Common' company earth, i.e. the earth block is connected
to their neutral, 'separate' house earth wiring. Supply feed wire
will be a single conductor with screen/armour used as neutral/earth.

TN-S 'Separate' company earth and house earth wiring. Supply
feed wire will be two core (live and neutral) with screen/armour
being just the earth.

--
Chris Green
Mike

wrote in message ...
Ken Sparky wrote:
[...]

And if it's TN-C-S do you really want to change to it. Ours runs at up to
40volts away from the potential of the ground outside, which I found to my
shock unfortunately includes the soil below the stone slabs in much of my
house.

Ken Sparky

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:16:01 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

wrote in message ...
Ken Sparky wrote:
At the moment, I have two consumer units - one for the usual domestic

supply and

snipped
TN-C-S 'Common' company earth, i.e. the earth block is connected
to their neutral, 'separate' house earth wiring. Supply feed wire
will be a single conductor with screen/armour used as neutral/earth.

TN-S 'Separate' company earth and house earth wiring. Supply
feed wire will be two core (live and neutral) with screen/armour
being just the earth.

And if it's TN-C-S do you really want to change to it. Ours runs at up to
40volts away from the potential of the ground outside, which I found to my
shock unfortunately includes the soil below the stone slabs in much of my
house.

Any response from the supplier about this?

I'd be happy with TN-S because I was trying to avoid having to install a 100mA
time-delayed RCD which is required with TT earthing.