Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Andy Hide

Default Drilling holes in masonry wall for 15mm and 22mm pipe

I need to make holes in a single brick thick solid plastered wall to
run both 15mm and 22mm copper pipe.

Just using a hammer and chisel in the past has always resulted in a
huge hole plus lots of plaster dropping off the wall/cracks etc. These
holes are going to be seen so they need to be neat.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to this?

1) What size plastic pipe should I use to sleeve the 15mm and 22mm
copper pipe ? Can you get special pipe sleeves for the job ?

2) All I have at the moment is a 570W B&D Hammer drill. Is it worth
investing in a cheap SDS drill (e.g. £30 Ferm model in Screwfix) or
hiring a decent one? Can you get anything decent for around the £100
don't want to spend £500.

3) What size bit would I need for above holes ? Previous posts
indicate you usually end up with a bigger hole than the bit you use
for the job. Do I need a core drill bit or just a standard drill bit ?

going in half way from both sides. Any improvement on this method ?

Any help much appreciated with this.

Andy.