DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Doggy smells: removing (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/81180-doggy-smells-removing.html)

[email protected] December 10th 04 09:24 AM

Doggy smells: removing

I'm buying a house from someone who has a dog and is a smoker. I am a
dog hater and non-smoker and am keen to remove any doggy/smoking smells
when I get moved into the house.

Tips, please on removing doggy odours.

* I am replacing most of the carpets.
* I'll replace or wash out most of the curtains/blinds.
* They are leaving a old leather chesterfield type settee -- a vacuum
and wipe down with soap & water should freshen it up?
* Ceilings don't seem too yellow from cigarette smoke -- a good sign.
Thanks
Bruce

The Natural Philosopher December 10th 04 10:20 AM

wrote:

I'm buying a house from someone who has a dog and is a smoker. I am a
dog hater and non-smoker and am keen to remove any doggy/smoking smells
when I get moved into the house.

Tips, please on removing doggy odours.

Burn everything you can, and then wait...

it fades in time.

Christian McArdle December 10th 04 10:37 AM

I'm buying a house from someone who has a dog and is a smoker. I am a
dog hater and non-smoker and am keen to remove any doggy/smoking smells
when I get moved into the house.

Remove and destroy all carpets (without exception) and curtains. Scrub all
walls and ceilings with sugar soap. Repaint every surface. They may look
clean now, but when you put a dab of new "Pure Brilliant White" next to it,
you may feel quite nauseous at the contrast.

If you must attempt to reuse the curtains, they'll need at least 3 washes at
60C, preferably in someone else's washing machine.

I'd be worried about the sofa. However, it is leather, so you might get away
with it after a good scrubbing. If it had been fabric, then it would be
straight in the skip.

Christian.

s--p--o--n--i--x December 10th 04 10:48 AM

On 10 Dec 2004 01:24:09 -0800, wrote:

I'm buying a house from someone who has a dog and is a smoker. I am a
dog hater and non-smoker and am keen to remove any doggy/smoking smells
when I get moved into the house.

Tips, please on removing doggy odours.

* I am replacing most of the carpets.
* I'll replace or wash out most of the curtains/blinds.
* They are leaving a old leather chesterfield type settee -- a vacuum
and wipe down with soap & water should freshen it up?
* Ceilings don't seem too yellow from cigarette smoke -- a good sign.

Any carpets that aren't replaced get professionally cleaned. Make sure
they use a deodoriser as this is really effective.

Wash the walls and ceilings with detergent. Wash all the remaining
curtains.

Dunno what you can do about the sofa as the smell will be in the
stuffing.

Having done all this some smell will probably remain but will fade
given time.

sPoNiX

[email protected] December 10th 04 11:07 AM

Are you being serious, here? After all, its only one little dog!

The house didn't smell too odious when I went to view it...however when
I popped round last week the vendor had a fag on the go in the lounge
and a little dog was scampering around.
The dog had its own sleeping place -- on the vendors bed!

Bruce

s--p--o--n--i--x December 10th 04 11:51 AM

On 10 Dec 2004 03:07:54 -0800, wrote:

Are you being serious, here? After all, its only one little dog!

The house didn't smell too odious when I went to view it...however when
I popped round last week the vendor had a fag on the go in the lounge
and a little dog was scampering around.
The dog had its own sleeping place -- on the vendors bed!

Depends how sensitive your nose is and how much smell you are prepared
to put up with.

Personally, I can smell dog/fags weeks after they have gone but that's
just me.

sPoNiX

ron December 10th 04 01:14 PM

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message
On 10 Dec 2004 03:07:54 -0800, wrote:

Are you being serious, here? After all, its only one little dog!

The house didn't smell too odious when I went to view it...however when
I popped round last week the vendor had a fag on the go in the lounge
and a little dog was scampering around.
The dog had its own sleeping place -- on the vendors bed!

Depends how sensitive your nose is and how much smell you are prepared
to put up with.

Personally, I can smell dog/fags weeks after they have gone but that's
just me.

sPoNiX

I viewed a house where the owner had a cat and a dog and smoked. Wondered
why the heating was on full blast and the windows open. Found out after I
bought the house. It stank! Carpets had to be thrown out and the whole house
redecorated. Luckily she didn't leave any furniture.

Ron.

Andrew Gabriel December 10th 04 01:22 PM

In article . com,
writes:
I'm buying a house from someone who has a dog and is a smoker. I am a
dog hater and non-smoker and am keen to remove any doggy/smoking smells
when I get moved into the house.

Tips, please on removing doggy odours.

I had the doggy odour problem when I moved in.
It turned out to be coming mainly from the one area the dog must
have used as a "basket" substitute, the hall floor nestling into
the bottom step of the stairs. I gave it a damn good vacuum often
for a month, and the smell went. So keep an eye out where the dog
might commonly like to lay down or ask the owner where it sleeps.

--
Andrew Gabriel

[email protected] December 10th 04 02:07 PM

I had the doggy odour problem when I moved in.
It turned out to be coming mainly from the one area the dog must
have used as a "basket" substitute, the hall floor nestling into
the bottom step of the stairs. I gave it a damn good vacuum often
for a month, and the smell went. So keep an eye out where the dog
might commonly like to lay down or ask the owner where it sleeps.

When I last viewed the house, the dog's feeding bowls were near the
kitchen door. So maybe it won't pong so bad.

I'm still going to replace the carpets, though.
Then I'll fill the house with *my own* smells!

Bruce

Andy Dingley December 10th 04 02:27 PM

On 10 Dec 2004 01:24:09 -0800, wrote:

* I am replacing most of the carpets.

Well then, you're sorted.

If there's any you're not shifting, especially rugs where you can take
them outside and dry them afterwards, then consider a steam cleaner. I
use my cheap Earlex wallpaper stripper for this, but you can hire them
too.

"Simple Solution" (from a petshop) is very powerful if the dog did
tend to pee on the carpets in a particular corner.

* I'll replace or wash out most of the curtains/blinds.

If the colours are suitable, try some of the peroxide-based fabric
_whiteners_.

* They are leaving a old leather chesterfield type settee -- a vacuum
and wipe down with soap & water should freshen it up?

If it's really leather, then get some real "saddle soap" from a horse
shop. As for all leather, use the _minimum_ of water, but a sofa is
probably already quite dark.

A lot depends on the dog. A big dog that gets plenty of outdoor
exercise can be a lot less whiffy than a little terrier that spends
all day farting into the sofa.

--
Smert' spamionam

[email protected] December 10th 04 02:50 PM

A lot depends on the dog. A big dog that gets plenty of outdoor
exercise can be a lot less whiffy than a little terrier that spends
all day farting into the sofa.

The dog in question is a little terrier...It just occurred to me that
the owner goes out to work every day and probably leaves the poor mutt
locked in the house all day.

You are right, a "working" dog on a farm, say, will be fitter than a
spoilt townie dog. A farm dog might sleep in an outside dog house
anyway.

Whatever happened to the days of a dog kennel in the back yard?...dogs
nowadays are spoilt!

Bruce

Mary Fisher December 10th 04 03:43 PM

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message

Personally, I can smell dog/fags weeks after they have gone but that's
just me.

No it's not.

Mary

sPoNiX

Mary Fisher December 10th 04 03:45 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...

Whatever happened to the days of a dog kennel in the back yard?...dogs
nowadays are spoilt!

Dogs, kids, husbands ...

.... not in this house though, except the husband.

Mary

Scott December 10th 04 11:02 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...

I had the doggy odour problem when I moved in.
It turned out to be coming mainly from the one area the dog must
have used as a "basket" substitute, the hall floor nestling into
the bottom step of the stairs. I gave it a damn good vacuum often
for a month, and the smell went. So keep an eye out where the dog
might commonly like to lay down or ask the owner where it sleeps.

When I last viewed the house, the dog's feeding bowls were near the
kitchen door. So maybe it won't pong so bad.

I'm still going to replace the carpets, though.
Then I'll fill the house with *my own* smells!

Why not buy a dog? Then at least it will mask the orginal smell, and you
will have a friend for life... well about 10 years.

Sheila December 10th 04 11:11 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm buying a house from someone who has a dog and is a smoker. I am a
dog hater and non-smoker and am keen to remove any doggy/smoking smells
when I get moved into the house.

Tips, please on removing doggy odours.

* I am replacing most of the carpets.
* I'll replace or wash out most of the curtains/blinds.
* They are leaving a old leather chesterfield type settee -- a vacuum
and wipe down with soap & water should freshen it up?
* Ceilings don't seem too yellow from cigarette smoke -- a good sign.
Thanks
Bruce

You poor thing Bruce.
The answer is simple ~ get rid of all the furnishings and then leave all
the doors and windows open for a few weeks.
You could try owning a dog, you might be a better person for it and it's
better than golf.
Of course you might also look at another house.
OTOH if you are not capable of basic house cleaning tasks without
instruction you might consider renting a bijou high rise apartment.
Is England becoming a nation of dog haters?

Sheila

Scott December 11th 04 12:00 AM

"Sheila" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

No, I love dogs

Sheila

Sheila December 11th 04 12:08 AM

No, I love dogs

Sheila

Yes. I wasn't talking to you, but so do I ;

Frank Erskine December 11th 04 12:20 AM

On 10 Dec 2004 01:24:09 -0800, wrote:

I'm buying a house from someone who has a dog and is a smoker. I am a
dog hater and non-smoker and am keen to remove any doggy/smoking smells
when I get moved into the house.

Tips, please on removing doggy odours.

* I am replacing most of the carpets.
* I'll replace or wash out most of the curtains/blinds.
* They are leaving a old leather chesterfield type settee -- a vacuum
and wipe down with soap & water should freshen it up?
* Ceilings don't seem too yellow from cigarette smoke -- a good sign.
Thanks
Bruce

You can get rid of a lot of smells around the house by burning a few
candles.
This tip was given me by the proprietor of a taxi firm who took over a
business where previous drivers hanging around the office stunk the
place out with cigarette smoke and takeaway meals all day and night.

Neutrodol carpet powder is quite effective too.

--
Frank Erskine
OETKBC, MJBC

Mary Fisher December 11th 04 12:41 AM

"Sheila" wrote in message

Is England becoming a nation of dog haters?

I don't think so. But many of us don't like the smells which many animal
owners allow their pets to leave. So saying, I don't like a lot of the human
smells some folk have in their houses.

I'm not a dog loveror hater either. We've had cats, I wouldn't have them now
but they didn't smell. We have chickens, I won't tolerate smells from them
either (yes, they do sometimes come in the house!)

I think that one of the problems of smells in houses - from any source - is
because we have so much soft furnishing. Carpets are a particular culprit,
they stay in place for years sometimes, collecting smells, dirt and
livestock. The current fashion for hard floors makes a lot of sense, we've
had them for years.

Mary

Sheila

Owain December 11th 04 01:18 AM

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote
| Dunno what you can do about the sofa as the smell will be in
| the stuffing.

As may be any fleas ...

Owain

Eiron December 11th 04 01:38 PM

Owain wrote:

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote
| Dunno what you can do about the sofa as the smell will be in
| the stuffing.

As may be any fleas ...

Many years ago you could get a man from the council to fumigate a house.
No evidence was required, I just told him that it was infested.
I don't know if the service is still available.

Can you still buy tins of Zyklon pellets?

--
Eiron.

Mary Fisher December 11th 04 02:39 PM

"Eiron" wrote in message

Many years ago you could get a man from the council to fumigate a house.
No evidence was required, I just told him that it was infested.
I don't know if the service is still available.

Oh yes. At a price.

Mary

[email protected] December 11th 04 03:38 PM

Owain wrote:
"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote
| Dunno what you can do about the sofa as the smell will be in
| the stuffing.

As may be any fleas ...

Owain

Should I be unduly worried about inheriting a flea-infested sofa from a
dog owner? Or are today's dogs healthy and flea-free?

Bruce

Mary Fisher December 11th 04 03:51 PM

wrote in message
ps.com...

Owain wrote:
"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote
| Dunno what you can do about the sofa as the smell will be in
| the stuffing.

As may be any fleas ...

Owain

Should I be unduly worried about inheriting a flea-infested sofa from a
dog owner? Or are today's dogs healthy and flea-free?

That's like asking if today's people are healthy and flea free.

Mary

Bruce

Eiron December 11th 04 04:15 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:

Should I be unduly worried about inheriting a flea-infested sofa from a
dog owner? Or are today's dogs healthy and flea-free?

That's like asking if today's people are healthy and flea free.

Most people are free of fleas, except the dog owners.

Mary Fisher December 11th 04 04:59 PM

"Eiron" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Should I be unduly worried about inheriting a flea-infested sofa from a
dog owner? Or are today's dogs healthy and flea-free?

That's like asking if today's people are healthy and flea free.

Most people are free of fleas, except the dog owners.

I suspect that most dogs are too, that was my point :-)

But I could be wrong :-(

You certainly can't say that ALL today's dogs are healthy and flea-free ...

Mary

Mary

zaax December 11th 04 05:19 PM

In article .com,
writes

A lot depends on the dog. A big dog that gets plenty of outdoor
exercise can be a lot less whiffy than a little terrier that spends
all day farting into the sofa.

The dog in question is a little terrier...It just occurred to me that
the owner goes out to work every day and probably leaves the poor mutt
locked in the house all day.

You are right, a "working" dog on a farm, say, will be fitter than a
spoilt townie dog. A farm dog might sleep in an outside dog house
anyway.

Whatever happened to the days of a dog kennel in the back yard?...dogs
nowadays are spoilt!

Bruce

Found in the Local Free ads:

Free Yorkshire Terrier
8 Years Old. Hateful little dog

--
Zaax
http://www.ukgatsos.com

Mary Fisher December 11th 04 05:44 PM

"zaax" wrote in message

Found in the Local Free ads:

Free Yorkshire Terrier
8 Years Old. Hateful little dog

I think I know it :-)

Mary

--
Zaax
http://www.ukgatsos.com

Ian Stirling December 11th 04 11:27 PM

wrote:

I'm buying a house from someone who has a dog and is a smoker. I am a
dog hater and non-smoker and am keen to remove any doggy/smoking smells
when I get moved into the house.

Tips, please on removing doggy odours.

Burn everything you can,

And then get it rebuilt on the insurance?

Andy Burns December 12th 04 12:04 AM

wrote:

Are you being serious, here? After all, its only one little dog!

well you did say you were a dog *HATER*, perhaps you should have said
you didn't like them ...

The Natural Philosopher December 12th 04 02:26 AM

wrote:

Owain wrote:

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote
| Dunno what you can do about the sofa as the smell will be in
| the stuffing.

As may be any fleas ...

Owain

Should I be unduly worried about inheriting a flea-infested sofa from a
dog owner? Or are today's dogs healthy and flea-free?

You may be smitten.

BUT I think the fleas eventally die without the correct host.

Otherwise spray with flea spray every two weeks till they have all
hatched and died.

Human fleas and lice are far more probelmatic.

Bruce

The Natural Philosopher December 12th 04 02:26 AM

Eiron wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

Should I be unduly worried about inheriting a flea-infested sofa from a
dog owner? Or are today's dogs healthy and flea-free?

That's like asking if today's people are healthy and flea free.

Most people are free of fleas, except the dog owners.

Not all by any means.