Default Doggy smells: removing

I'm buying a house from someone who has a dog and is a smoker. I am a
dog hater and non-smoker and am keen to remove any doggy/smoking smells
when I get moved into the house.

Tips, please on removing doggy odours.

* I am replacing most of the carpets.
* I'll replace or wash out most of the curtains/blinds.
* They are leaving a old leather chesterfield type settee -- a vacuum
and wipe down with soap & water should freshen it up?
* Ceilings don't seem too yellow from cigarette smoke -- a good sign.
Thanks
Bruce

Christian McArdle

I'm buying a house from someone who has a dog and is a smoker. I am a
dog hater and non-smoker and am keen to remove any doggy/smoking smells
when I get moved into the house.

Remove and destroy all carpets (without exception) and curtains. Scrub all
walls and ceilings with sugar soap. Repaint every surface. They may look
clean now, but when you put a dab of new "Pure Brilliant White" next to it,
you may feel quite nauseous at the contrast.

If you must attempt to reuse the curtains, they'll need at least 3 washes at
60C, preferably in someone else's washing machine.

I'd be worried about the sofa. However, it is leather, so you might get away
with it after a good scrubbing. If it had been fabric, then it would be
straight in the skip.

Christian.

Are you being serious, here? After all, its only one little dog!

The house didn't smell too odious when I went to view it...however when
I popped round last week the vendor had a fag on the go in the lounge
and a little dog was scampering around.
The dog had its own sleeping place -- on the vendors bed!

Bruce

I had the doggy odour problem when I moved in.
It turned out to be coming mainly from the one area the dog must
have used as a "basket" substitute, the hall floor nestling into
the bottom step of the stairs. I gave it a damn good vacuum often
for a month, and the smell went. So keep an eye out where the dog
might commonly like to lay down or ask the owner where it sleeps.

When I last viewed the house, the dog's feeding bowls were near the
kitchen door. So maybe it won't pong so bad.

I'm still going to replace the carpets, though.
Then I'll fill the house with *my own* smells!

Bruce

A lot depends on the dog. A big dog that gets plenty of outdoor
exercise can be a lot less whiffy than a little terrier that spends
all day farting into the sofa.

The dog in question is a little terrier...It just occurred to me that
the owner goes out to work every day and probably leaves the poor mutt
locked in the house all day.

You are right, a "working" dog on a farm, say, will be fitter than a
spoilt townie dog. A farm dog might sleep in an outside dog house
anyway.

Whatever happened to the days of a dog kennel in the back yard?...dogs
nowadays are spoilt!

Bruce

Mary Fisher

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message

Personally, I can smell dog/fags weeks after they have gone but that's
just me.

No it's not.

Mary

sPoNiX

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...

Whatever happened to the days of a dog kennel in the back yard?...dogs
nowadays are spoilt!

Dogs, kids, husbands ...

.... not in this house though, except the husband.

Mary

Scott

wrote in message
oups.com...

I had the doggy odour problem when I moved in.
It turned out to be coming mainly from the one area the dog must
have used as a "basket" substitute, the hall floor nestling into
the bottom step of the stairs. I gave it a damn good vacuum often
for a month, and the smell went. So keep an eye out where the dog
might commonly like to lay down or ask the owner where it sleeps.

When I last viewed the house, the dog's feeding bowls were near the
kitchen door. So maybe it won't pong so bad.

I'm still going to replace the carpets, though.
Then I'll fill the house with *my own* smells!

Why not buy a dog? Then at least it will mask the orginal smell, and you
will have a friend for life... well about 10 years.

Sheila

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm buying a house from someone who has a dog and is a smoker. I am a
dog hater and non-smoker and am keen to remove any doggy/smoking smells
when I get moved into the house.

Tips, please on removing doggy odours.

* I am replacing most of the carpets.
* I'll replace or wash out most of the curtains/blinds.
* They are leaving a old leather chesterfield type settee -- a vacuum
and wipe down with soap & water should freshen it up?
* Ceilings don't seem too yellow from cigarette smoke -- a good sign.
Thanks
Bruce

You poor thing Bruce.
The answer is simple ~ get rid of all the furnishings and then leave all
the doors and windows open for a few weeks.
You could try owning a dog, you might be a better person for it and it's
better than golf.
Of course you might also look at another house.
OTOH if you are not capable of basic house cleaning tasks without
instruction you might consider renting a bijou high rise apartment.
Is England becoming a nation of dog haters?

Sheila

Scott

"Sheila" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

No, I love dogs

Sheila

Sheila

No, I love dogs

Sheila

Yes. I wasn't talking to you, but so do I ;

Mary Fisher

"Sheila" wrote in message

Is England becoming a nation of dog haters?

I don't think so. But many of us don't like the smells which many animal
owners allow their pets to leave. So saying, I don't like a lot of the human
smells some folk have in their houses.

I'm not a dog loveror hater either. We've had cats, I wouldn't have them now
but they didn't smell. We have chickens, I won't tolerate smells from them
either (yes, they do sometimes come in the house!)

I think that one of the problems of smells in houses - from any source - is
because we have so much soft furnishing. Carpets are a particular culprit,
they stay in place for years sometimes, collecting smells, dirt and
livestock. The current fashion for hard floors makes a lot of sense, we've
had them for years.

Mary

Sheila

Owain

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote
| Dunno what you can do about the sofa as the smell will be in
| the stuffing.

As may be any fleas ...

Owain

Eiron

Owain wrote:

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote
| Dunno what you can do about the sofa as the smell will be in
| the stuffing.

As may be any fleas ...

Many years ago you could get a man from the council to fumigate a house.
No evidence was required, I just told him that it was infested.
I don't know if the service is still available.

Can you still buy tins of Zyklon pellets?

--
Eiron.
Mary Fisher

"Eiron" wrote in message

Many years ago you could get a man from the council to fumigate a house.
No evidence was required, I just told him that it was infested.
I don't know if the service is still available.

Oh yes. At a price.

Mary

Owain wrote:
"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote
| Dunno what you can do about the sofa as the smell will be in
| the stuffing.

As may be any fleas ...

Owain

Should I be unduly worried about inheriting a flea-infested sofa from a
dog owner? Or are today's dogs healthy and flea-free?

Bruce

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
ps.com...

Owain wrote:
"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote
| Dunno what you can do about the sofa as the smell will be in
| the stuffing.

As may be any fleas ...

Owain

Should I be unduly worried about inheriting a flea-infested sofa from a
dog owner? Or are today's dogs healthy and flea-free?

That's like asking if today's people are healthy and flea free.

Mary

Bruce

Eiron

Mary Fisher wrote:

Should I be unduly worried about inheriting a flea-infested sofa from a
dog owner? Or are today's dogs healthy and flea-free?

That's like asking if today's people are healthy and flea free.

Most people are free of fleas, except the dog owners.
Mary Fisher

"Eiron" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Should I be unduly worried about inheriting a flea-infested sofa from a
dog owner? Or are today's dogs healthy and flea-free?

That's like asking if today's people are healthy and flea free.

Most people are free of fleas, except the dog owners.

I suspect that most dogs are too, that was my point :-)

But I could be wrong :-(

You certainly can't say that ALL today's dogs are healthy and flea-free ...

Mary

Mary

Mary Fisher

"zaax" wrote in message

Found in the Local Free ads:

Free Yorkshire Terrier
8 Years Old. Hateful little dog

I think I know it :-)

Mary

--
Zaax
http://www.ukgatsos.com

The Natural Philosopher

Eiron wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

Should I be unduly worried about inheriting a flea-infested sofa from a
dog owner? Or are today's dogs healthy and flea-free?

That's like asking if today's people are healthy and flea free.

Most people are free of fleas, except the dog owners.

Not all by any means.