Kalico

Default Installing cat flap in glass door panel

I've been asked to install a catflap in a door that has the typical 2
glass panel arrangement. Think they are called 2XG or similar.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to cut the glass in situ to
install the device, square hole or round?

My gut feeling is that the easiest option is to either replace the
existing glass with a bit of 4mm ply that I can easily cut or to order
a new piece of glass with the hole pre-cut (expensive?)

Thanks for advice.
Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
Jonathan Pearson

Kalico wrote:
I've been asked to install a catflap in a door that has the typical 2
glass panel arrangement. Think they are called 2XG or similar.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to cut the glass in situ to
install the device, square hole or round?

My gut feeling is that the easiest option is to either replace the
existing glass with a bit of 4mm ply that I can easily cut or to order
a new piece of glass with the hole pre-cut (expensive?)

Thanks for advice.
Rob

Your local glass merchant will be able to cut a round hole - for an idea of
cost we got a full length double glazed toughened unit replaced on our patio
door (about 50cm * 200cm) with a catflap fitted (supplied by us) - inc
measuring up, fabrication and fitting cost £95 including VAT (Edinburgh
area)

Jon

Tony Bryer

In article , Kalico wrote:
I've been asked to install a catflap in a door that has the typical
2 glass panel arrangement. Think they are called 2XG or similar.

2XGG - 2XG has glass at the top, ply or similar panel below

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to cut the glass in situ
to install the device, square hole or round?

My gut feeling is that the easiest option is to either replace the
existing glass with a bit of 4mm ply that I can easily cut or to
order a new piece of glass with the hole pre-cut (expensive?)

A glazier can cut a hole in-situ but if the glass has been replaced in
recent times it should be toughened so can't be cut: you have to get a
new piece cut then get it toughened

Lee

Kalico wrote:
I've been asked to install a catflap in a door that has the typical 2
glass panel arrangement. Think they are called 2XG or similar.

snip
My gut feeling is that the easiest option is to either replace the
existing glass with a bit of 4mm ply that I can easily cut or to order
a new piece of glass with the hole pre-cut (expensive?)

Since it's in a door, the glass should be toughened/tempered so you
won't be able to cut it without shattering it anyway.

A new piece of toughened galss with the hole pre cut is probably best,
ply ususally looks a bit lame really

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Phil Addison

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:29:22 +0000, Kalico wrote:

I've been asked to install a catflap in a door that has the typical 2
glass panel arrangement. Think they are called 2XG or similar.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to cut the glass in situ to
install the device, square hole or round?

My gut feeling is that the easiest option is to either replace the
existing glass with a bit of 4mm ply that I can easily cut or to order
a new piece of glass with the hole pre-cut (expensive?)

Thanks for advice.

First take a look at the round cat-flaps that are available - only a
choice of one when I looked. I tried the round one and it was crap, so
finished up changing my mind about the glass panel and went for a
plastic panel with a rectangular hole in it.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

Glueing Glass xavier UK diy 17 November 16th 04 05:29 PM
Installing Lexan in lieu of glass in a window KublaiKhan Home Repair 16 March 16th 04 03:04 PM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM